Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have owned the car for approximately five or so months. I'm right at the precipice of going and getting its oil change and brakes redone possibly, filters, etc. I'm sure the private dealer I purchased it from only did what they had to for selling condition. I had my mechanic look it over. no issues seen. After that. Since then, I've put around 4,000 miles on her. which puts me at the 40K Mark now. The car runs beautifully for the most part. Aside a little bit of a jumpy cvt between 2-3 gear shift (I'd call it normal).
Only issues I've had are some brake clicking due to some hardware my guess is. And an ever so slight burn smell. I don't ever smell it through the cabin vents themselves. Although every time I get out of my vehicle, and I have exercised the engine. Right as you step out of the vehicle near the mirror, and in the windshield wiper bay. I stick my sniffer in the back corner of hood. I smell a, i would almost say... like oil ? but electrical at the same time, maybe a plastic? it's very indistinct in the way that it smells. In no way is it overwhelming or really even terribly noticeable unless the wind is blowing the right . Or you're actively looking to smell for it. Be it that. There is still a slight burning smell. It's not sweet and syrupy although I have caught a sweet syrupy vapor smell once. when opening the hood. (Ive topped off my antifreeze which has remained level since topped off ) months ago.
But it just smells like hot Steel. I know that it could be a lot of different things. Things that Could be leaking, rubbing. Not aligned. little bits of oil/ coolant on to hot metal pieces. Electrical.. but is there anyone who can say that they have had a problem similar? Or common ailments that the car is known for? Year and age considered? I can't say that I've ever smelled it inside the actual wheel well. But the smell could be rising up it and getting trapped? I dont smell it on my passenger side Hood corner really at all. Every time I open the hood to look for leaks I can't seem to find anything leaking (topside). Could it be a seal that commonly fails or a belt that's rubbing? anyone's two cents is appreciated!!
Best,
Rw

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Organizing that text wall into paragraphs will likely get more people to read it.

Reactions: SleeperQ

· Registered
3,000 Posts
1) not a CVT. If it’s not smooth shifting, you need to change the transmission fluid.

2) how is you oil level?

3) you said it occurs after you exercise the engine; are you allowing the car to idle for a few minutes or driving casually for a few minutes after giving her the beans BEFORE you turn the car off? If not, you’re probably coking the oil onto the turbos and you’re smelling it.

· Registered
7,054 Posts
As Skyline said its a 7sp traditional automatic no CVT for this particular engine, ditto the fluid level checks (not just oil) to make sure everything is topped off. After a regular drive pop the hood and look around the engine bay for leaks or any obvious signs of wear and make sure nothing is dripping below the car.

It could also be the brakes that are making the smell as well, you mentioned some noise from them may be worth taking a peak at them as well. A bit of noise from plat between the caliper and pads aren't a big deal (usually just improperly bedded when installed) but If you don't find anything else making take it to a mechanic for a smell test see if he can pin down what is going on, its pretty tough to diagnose a smell.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
I would say it could be brake’s especially if your using the Ceramic brake pads as there known to make a harsh burning smell. I had this happen to my Honda when I just recently installed brand new ceramic brake pads the smell was so harsh that I could smell it in the car and worse if outside. I had decided to go back to the OEM Honda brake pads which are not ceramic but just havent had time and the smell seems to have disappeared to an extent.

· Registered
764 Posts
Like Skyline mentioned, letting the car cool is important. I had to get used to it being this is my first turbo car, but now after hard driving I cruise down the freeway or take a longer route home to let it properly cool.

· Registered
1 Posts
I think I'm experiencing the same smell seeming to come from the same area on my 2016 Q50 SS with around 58k miles on it. This is the first time I have ever smelled it and is pretty noticeable in a garage. No visible leaks either. Noticed it right after pulling into a oil service center (before oil changed); tech asked me if I had run over a plastic bag. I'd describe the smell as burning plastic/rubber but don't have much experience identifying smells. Smell is strongest around the driver's side front wheel/mirror area. I can also smell something similar around the windshield wiper reservoir area; I don't think it smells as "burnt" as what I'm smelling around the mirror, but seems to smell similar. Can't seem to smell it directly in the wheel well either.

Brake pads are NAPA Adaptive One (Ceramic), and I've had them on for around 6k miles and never noticed this before. Also not experiencing any noises from my brakes.

I accelerated hard a couple of times today, but didn't push the car very hard other than that. However, I have heard a "squealing" noise that's been popping up from time to time under heavy acceleration from a stop/low speed. Unsure if this is related or not.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
I think I'm experiencing the same smell seeming to come from the same area on my 2016 Q50 SS with around 58k miles on it. This is the first time I have ever smelled it and is pretty noticeable in a garage. No visible leaks either. Noticed it right after pulling into a oil service center (before oil changed); tech asked me if I had run over a plastic bag. I'd describe the smell as burning plastic/rubber but don't have much experience identifying smells. Smell is strongest around the driver's side front wheel/mirror area. I can also smell something similar around the windshield wiper reservoir area; I don't think it smells as "burnt" as what I'm smelling around the mirror, but seems to smell similar. Can't seem to smell it directly in the wheel well either.

Brake pads are NAPA Adaptive One (Ceramic), and I've had them on for around 6k miles and never noticed this before. Also not experiencing any noises from my brakes.

I accelerated hard a couple of times today, but didn't push the car very hard other than that. However, I have heard a "squealing" noise that's been popping up from time to time under heavy acceleration from a stop/low speed. Unsure if this is related or not.
Yup you said Napa ceramic brake pads and the smell you described is exactly that from ceramic brake pads.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1) not a CVT. If it’s not smooth shifting, you need to change the transmission fluid.

2) how is you oil level?

3) you said it occurs after you exercise the engine; are you allowing the car to idle for a few minutes or driving casually for a few minutes after giving her the beans BEFORE you turn the car off? If not, you’re probably coking the oil onto the turbos and you’re smelling it.
I let my vehicle warm at least 10 minutes before running it. To let the vehicle fluids warm up and circulate. My oil level is high it isn't all that dirty but I'll probably be having it changed in the next month or so considering that the oil sat at the dealer for a couple months with low miles on it before I put around 4,000 miles on it myself. Not too much carbon. full synthetic. I'd say it's time for a swap out though.
The vehicle is smooth shifting. until.... I'm City driving and feathering the pedal. If I'm going between 15 and 25 or 30 mph and I have to keep slowing down and speeding up I noticed a little bit of a lurch and I assume it's because the car always wants to be on the power band. And gear ratio. Based off what others have told me. Changing modes to personal or sport help lessen this.
When I was smelling it again last night it smelled almost like brakes I have this weird feeling that it's the brakes on the vehicle. But at the same time I have my doubts and could be a fluid leak that's causing that burn smell. I'm curious as to just what would happen if I ran the vehicle hard without using the brakes and if the same smell would occur. In response, @Skyline I appreciate your input as always friend. I always let that car warm up and I baby that thing. I really don't like to beat on my vehicle but if I get an open straight away you know what happens.. 🤣
If there's anything I could check or any locations where leaks are common through. Always appreciated I know it's not easy to diagnose these things over text Walls. Thanks
Best
Rw

2) how is you oil level?

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd question the brakes. Maybe try a steady highway drive, easy on the brakes?
Yeah I smelled it again last night on both sides of my vehicle in the front I am curious if it's my brakes because it seems like it could possibly be. I've been light on the brakes before and just driven the car up the street. and still gave it some ass. and it didn't smell. Still can't rule out a fluid leak but I think that between that and the noise they're already making it could possibly be something up with the brakes I got to pop the wheels off my mechanic passed them all though. good shape. Had that weird clicking noise with them too so wouldn't surprise me if something was up. Not torqued properly or loose hardware....

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say it could be brake’s especially if your using the Ceramic brake pads as there known to make a harsh burning smell. I had this happen to my Honda when I just recently installed brand new ceramic brake pads the smell was so harsh that I could smell it in the car and worse if outside. I had decided to go back to the OEM Honda brake pads which are not ceramic but just havent had time and the smell seems to have disappeared to an extent.
@Lucky93
Much appreciate your input I'm going to go check to see what type of brakes are actually on the vehicle typically I'd be doing most of this work myself although, until I have my heated garage it's difficult to do anything in January on a car in upstate New York. Until I bring it to my You bring up a really great point. though i am certainly going to check up on what type those brakes are. because in reality the burn smell kinda is reminiscent of almost a brake burn rubbing. Although nothing's ever smoking or hot. The problem that we faced sounds so similar I'm going to go check.
As Skyline said its a 7sp traditional automatic no CVT for this particular engine, ditto the fluid level checks (not just oil) to make sure everything is topped off. After a regular drive pop the hood and look around the engine bay for leaks or any obvious signs of wear and make sure nothing is dripping below the car.

It could also be the brakes that are making the smell as well, you mentioned some noise from them may be worth taking a peak at them as well. A bit of noise from plat between the caliper and pads aren't a big deal (usually just improperly bedded when installed) but If you don't find anything else making take it to a mechanic for a smell test see if he can pin down what is going on, its pretty tough to diagnose a smell.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
@Lucky93
Much appreciate your input I'm going to go check to see what type of brakes are actually on the vehicle typically I'd be doing most of this work myself although, until I have my heated garage it's difficult to do anything in January on a car in upstate New York. Until I bring it to my You bring up a really great point. though i am certainly going to check up on what type those brakes are. because in reality the burn smell kinda is reminiscent of almost a brake burn rubbing. Although nothing's ever smoking or hot. The problem that we faced sounds so similar I'm going to go check.
Yeah man, when I first ordered ny brake pads from Rock Auto by the Advics Brand I forgot to check that they were ceramics and I was mad after I was done installing them. The smell was so bad that I thought something is burning forsure but I knew it was the brake pads as the material gets hot its synthesizng and breaking in. But another thing about ceramin brakes is that it leaves a glass like shine residue where soon or later your rotors will start to shake. Even now in the rain i still smell it but very faint since they have broken in now.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Yeah man, when I first ordered ny brake pads from Rock Auto by the Advics Brand I forgot to check that they were ceramics and I was mad after I was done installing them. The smell was so bad that I thought something is burning forsure but I knew it was the brake pads as the material gets hot its synthesizng and breaking in. But another thing about ceramin brakes is that it leaves a glass like shine residue where soon or later your rotors will start to shake. Even now in the rain i still smell it but very faint since they have broken in now.
I have Powerstop Z26 pads, which they call "carbon ceramic". I haven't detected any difference in smell at all from brakes. In fact, I've been very happy with these pads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts