Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So instead of clogging up the engine replacement thread I started this one.

I noticed my coolant resavior was low after just a month of ownership I topped it off. With in 2ish months it was reading low agian. So I took it in.

I bought it wit 4022 miles and now had I think 6070 miles.

The dealer gave it a death sentence with in 10 minutes. They pressure checked it and it failed. They pulled the pan and saw metal and what looked to be like coolant.. requested a new engine

Infiniti said they want to do an oil test. It came back 0 antifreeze, elevated aluminum and copper, silicone. they claimed it was normal. Thwy requested dealer to heat the engine up and pressure test the engine again!

Dealer said the coolant was going somewhere Internally. Requested a new engine 2nd time.

Infinti had the tear apart the Intakes and they saw oil reside in the driver side. So infiniti claims that's the issues.

infinti is not willing to change the engine. And they are only replacing the one Turbo. They disregarded the high copper and aluminum in the lab. They also disregard TWO dealer techs continually requesting the engine be replaced since they found metal and visible coolant in oil. Failied pressure tests. (Yet the black stone test says 0 antifreeze. I'm getting rid of this crap box!!!!! Settling for lexus

I'll see what it does over the next few months I hope me and the dealer are wrong.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Its not that hard. The oil analysis says zero coolant because the crack is into the combustion chamber where the coolant is burnt/expelled out the exhaust. Go to corporate and lawyer up.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Its not that hard. The oil analysis says zero coolant because the crack is into the combustion chamber where the coolant is burnt/expelled out the exhaust. Go to corporate and lawyer up.
^This. You should see white exhaust smoke from the exhaust, too, if it's burning coolant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called my lawyer and I'm trying to gather the info for him hoping the dealer will supply everything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get it, I argued till I was blue in the face! Infinti claims a bad turbo seal can cause coolant to creep into exhaust

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get it, I argued till I was blue in the face! Infinti claims a bad turbo seal can cause coolant to creep into exhaust. As bad as the leak is it will fo it again in short amount of time.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I get it, I argued till I was blue in the face! Infinti claims a bad turbo seal can cause coolant to creep into exhaust
I would consider doing spark plugs and getting a borescope in the cylinders. If its clean in there then it would confirm water is washing the tops of the pistons. If not, then it could be coolant getting into the turbo's turbine housing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would consider doing spark plugs and getting a borescope in the cylinders. If its clean in there then it would confirm water is washing the tops of the pistons. If not, then it could be coolant getting into the turbo's turbine housing.
Genius idea I!!!! Thanks

I have a scope in my work truck. And I'm going to do my own oil test if the coolant gets low which I should've done hindsight!

I sure hope it is the turbo, I didn't know till someone hooked me up with a diagram the the engine coolant runs through the turbos housings

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I sure hope it is the turbo, I didn't know till someone hooked me up with a diagram the the engine coolant runs through the turbos housings
Yes, the CHRA has coolant passages.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hope that's it 🙏 Still worried about the metals
Since you are at 6,0xx miles, keep in mind it takes the engine around 10k miles before the wear metals settle down, as I experienced with my '17 Q60 Red Sport, which I've had since new:

From 9,500 miles to 13,500 miles, you can see the wear metals were basically reduced by half, and from there on, have maintained a similar amount from one OCI to the next.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Must be the crap eddy turbo sensor breaking down into the turbos. Lol.

Reactions: Wheels43

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@Iridium rs 400

That give piece of mind thanks. I have been researching everyone oil analysis' I can find on here my numbers are lower then alot of others. Didn't know the break in period was so long on this car. Dealer told me 3k miles.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
That give piece of mind thanks. I haven't researching everyone oil analysis' I can find on here my numbers are lower then alot of others. Didn't know the break in period was so long on this car. Dealer told me 3k miles.
Yeah, this is why I'm not a fan of many manufacturers, including Infiniti, that advertise 10k OCIs via their on-board maintenance minders. Having these wear metals floating around for that long an interval in suspension just doesn't seem right, even with the oil formulations existing today.

Since I'm a DYI kinda guy, I perform much of my own maintenance on my vehicles, and for in-warranty periods, I keep the oil receipts and these UOAs as a record of the oil maintenance. And as you can see, the UOA data tells the story of engine health, including how the engine is breaking-in (and yes, it isn't done @ 3k miles). Since this is a Direct Injection engine, % fuel in oil is always a concern, so maintaining a 5k mile OCI appears to keep my tuned VR30 engine in my Q from exceeding 2% levels, because too much fuel will shear-down the oil, affecting its cSt viscosity (not good!).

Anyways, I have the 🍿 out - keep us updated once the turbo gets replaced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am a DIY guy also.. I think I'm going 3k to 4k OCI.

Oil catch cans are a must on direct injection. This is my 3rd DI engine. I like to also run some cleaners like techron every oil change and I will use only 93 top tier fuel with detergents. Just to try to maintain cleaner valves and injectors as long as possible.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I am a DIY guy also.. I think I'm going 3k to 4k OCI. Oil catch cans are a must on direct injection.
I'm running the Mishimoto OCC. It seems to be working very well. Typically, I drain it at the same time of the oil change and filter, and the OCC has about ~30 ml of fluid to drain out.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I am a DIY guy also.. I think I'm going 3k to 4k OCI.

Oil catch cans are a must on direct injection. This is my 3rd DI engine. I like to also run some cleaners like techron every oil change and I will use only 93 top tier fuel with detergents. Just to try to maintain cleaner valves and injectors as long as possible.
Techron will do nothing to help keep the intake valves clean as there is no fuel being sprayed on them. DI. Direct injection into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Techron will do nothing to help keep the intake valves clean as there is no fuel being sprayed on them. DI. Direct injection into the combustion chamber.
Good point. Only the occ can help there I guess. Maybe some seafoam every so often. 🤔

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
541 Posts
Don't forget - a WMI system does a very nice job of cleaning along with the cooling/effective octane improvements. :cool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts