Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I am not recommending to not use new crush washers. I have been to lazy to order/ buy them for my oil changes and have gotten away with it. For his operation it is going to be much easier to loosen the bolt until some oil starts coming out than to take the bolt all the way out to replace the washer.. He will likely be fine just re-tightening it and getting a more controlled flow to get just that limited amount of oil out.
Yeah, good point. Changing out that washer will mean draining over half the oil. It is a bit fiddly to change out that washer and doing it in a rush would not be fun.

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
330 Posts
You guys are creating some unique solutions to a problem that doesnt exist. START OVER. Drain the oil, put a new crush washer, add the right amount of oil without a filter change. Done. You really gonna argue margin for error to try and save a little oil, when it is, literally, the lifeblood that keeps any motor going?

What are you thinking?

·
Registered
597 Posts
i might end up doing just that. i was just trying to keep from unscrewing 20 freaking 10mm bolts.....
Big Ed
Are you taking out the entire oil pan or are you talking about the 20 bolts because you have the undercover panel on that you have to take off to get to the oil pan?

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,703 Posts
I'd rent a crane and tip the car upside down so the extra oil comes out of the filler neck. Done.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
why is this two pages long? pull the drain plug, let a little out, then reinstall. top off as necessary. this just isnt a big deal. no need to change crush washers and drop oil pans, holy hell lol.
Come on blitz you know we love to de-rail things.

• Haha
Reactions: xBlitzkriegx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
well fellas to update. i went and bought a new oil drain pan and cranked her up to get her up on oil change ramps. drained all the oil outta the pan but left the oild filter alone. put new crush washer on on and bolted the oil drain plug up. i was just trying to avoid taking outa the 16 or so 10mm screws again before my TBW aluminum undershroud comes in. put 5 quarts of rotella T6 multivehicle 5w-30 back in and now all is well. it just made me a lil nervous with 6 quarts sloshing around in the sump but it wasn't enough to cause bubble to appear on the dipstick thankfully. i still fill better that i drained the excess .5 quart out.
Big Ed

21 - 27 of 27 Posts