Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

inside diameter of oil dipstick hole??

3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Big Ed 
#1 ·
aight fellas i made a booboo when changing the oil on my 2015 q50 and added too much oil because i was going by looking at the level on the dipstick, obviously i now know that the vehicle has to be flat to record an accurate reading and i had it up on oil change ramps. so, does anybody know the inside diameter of the oil dipstick hole? i need to draw about 1/2 a quart out.
regards,
big Ed

#2 ·
Don't have the measurements on hand but I'd just crack the oil drain plug and let some oil out, its a PITA but it would be easier than trying to pull it out via the dipstick I'd wager. But yeah once you hit about 1/2 or 3/4 to the full mark on the dipstick while on ramps stop and get a clean read once she's on level ground.

It's easy easy to add more if you a touch under.

#3 ·
drain it from the....drain plug, lol. wont take long and isnt messy.

Reactions: u1arunit
#22 ·
Are you taking out the entire oil pan or are you talking about the 20 bolts because you have the undercover panel on that you have to take off to get to the oil pan?

#6 ·
^ Oil filter isn't a bad option either, would be a bit messier than the drain plug but if you don't easy access to the plug not a bad alternative.

#7 ·
Well fellas to help any other guy....I tried the 1/4” diameter hose down the oil dipstick hole and it’s a no go. Got to a point that it wouldn’t go any further. So, I guess I’ll get the impact driver out with a 10mm socket on and take the plastic shroud off and either loosen the drain plug or loosen the filter. I over filled by approximately 3/4 of a quart. So, I need to drain out a quart then check when the car is off the ramps. Does anybody know how much oil the filter holds? I didn’t measure when I changed the oil.
Big Ed

#9 ·
Well fellas to help any other guy....I tried the 1/4” diameter hose down the oil dipstick hole and it’s a no go. Got to a point that it wouldn’t go any further. So, I guess I’ll get the impact driver out with a 10mm socket on and take the plastic shroud off and either loosen the drain plug or loosen the filter. I over filled by approximately 3/4 of a quart. So, I need to drain out a quart then check when the car is off the ramps. Does anybody know how much oil the filter holds? I didn’t measure when I changed the oil.
Big Ed
Oil filter won't be that much...maybe 1/4 quart at best...I wouldn't bother with it and the mess it will make. Personally I wouldn't sweat that amount of overfill....well within margin of error. In fact the 3.0t came out with an updated dipstick a couple of years ago to add 1/2 quart of oil to the fill capacity.

#8 ·
Maybe 100-200mL (1/5 a quart?) Depends on the make/model of your oil filter you use however, more will probably drain out than what the filter capacity actually is as well. Honestly though you are probably better off just pulling the drain plug for a second. You only need to get your car up on ramps and not remove the entire under shroud.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
i've decided to just crank her up long enough to roll up on ramps and pull the freaking 20ish 10mm bolts to access the drain plug and remove the plug for a few seconds then plug her back up. i wonder will the crush washer still be ok to use? i put a new one on when i changed the oil a couple days ago.
thanks for all the thoughts on this guys,
Big Ed

#16 ·
I have done a hundred or more oil changes and have never changed a crush washer. Don't think I have ever had a drain plug leak. You should be fine just playing out this oil change cycle after draining the desired amount.

#17 ·
But a crush washer costs $0.20. Not disputing your experience, but they are cheap and specified to be changed as part of the job.

Reactions: jcb and BigHeadClan
#19 ·
But a crush washer costs $0.20. Not disputing your experience, but they are cheap and specified to be changed as part of the job.
Don't get me wrong, I am not recommending to not use new crush washers. I have been to lazy to order/ buy them for my oil changes and have gotten away with it. For his operation it is going to be much easier to loosen the bolt until some oil starts coming out than to take the bolt all the way out to replace the washer.. He will likely be fine just re-tightening it and getting a more controlled flow to get just that limited amount of oil out.

Reactions: Big Ed
#15 ·
I'd replace the crush washer. Cheap insurance!

#18 ·
I've re-used crush washer a few times when I've forgot to stock up to no ill effects but yeah doesn't make sense to actually penny pinch and re-use them if you have a fresh one.

#21 ·
You guys are creating some unique solutions to a problem that doesnt exist. START OVER. Drain the oil, put a new crush washer, add the right amount of oil without a filter change. Done. You really gonna argue margin for error to try and save a little oil, when it is, literally, the lifeblood that keeps any motor going?

What are you thinking?

#23 ·
why is this two pages long? pull the drain plug, let a little out, then reinstall. top off as necessary. this just isnt a big deal. no need to change crush washers and drop oil pans, holy hell lol.

#26 ·
well fellas to update. i went and bought a new oil drain pan and cranked her up to get her up on oil change ramps. drained all the oil outta the pan but left the oild filter alone. put new crush washer on on and bolted the oil drain plug up. i was just trying to avoid taking outa the 16 or so 10mm screws again before my TBW aluminum undershroud comes in. put 5 quarts of rotella T6 multivehicle 5w-30 back in and now all is well. it just made me a lil nervous with 6 quarts sloshing around in the sump but it wasn't enough to cause bubble to appear on the dipstick thankfully. i still fill better that i drained the excess .5 quart out.
Big Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.