Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Install Apps Via USB

86K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  thatwonderkid 
#1 ·
Has anyone been able to achieve this? It gives us the option, recognizes USB device, but says no app files found. System is using Android 2.3 so Im sure it will install .apk files.

#4 ·
we can force the Android system to allow this type of update or maybe the install file extension is a different format.

I am a statistical programmer so i am not an andiod expert ... but i'd love to hack this dang thing to show infiniti that all you need is a little bit of determination.

I am looking for people that would be willing to collaborate on this ?

PS i have the source code from Denson

#19 ·
we can force the Android system to allow this type of update or maybe the install file extension is a different format.

I am a statistical programmer so i am not an andiod expert ... but i'd love to hack this dang thing to show infiniti that all you need is a little bit of determination.

I am looking for people that would be willing to collaborate on this ?

PS i have the source code from Denson
I'm an Android developer by profession! I'd love to figure this out! But need to know how we know the system is based on Android.

#6 ·
Since the system is Android, there has to be a way to Root the system to get into the root files. How do dealers update the system? There has to be some way they connect to InTouch. If I can figure it out then find a way to root it.

I dont want to start taking the car apart to see if there are any data ports on the unit, but why do they have the option available if we can never install our own apps? Infiniti does not even support MirrorLink, Carplay, or Android Auto.... We pay top dollar for these cars with shitty technology.

#7 ·
BE CAREFUL - CHANGING SETTINGS HERE COULD DAMAGE YOUR CAR OR LEAD TO LOSS OF SAFETY FEATURES AND THUS LIVES.

How to enter:
Start the car.
Turn Audio OFF.
Hit Settings Icon.
Press the “Seek/Track Up” physical button 3 times within 15 seconds.
Touch the screen for 3 seconds in the area shown by the image attachment attachment. Note - the icons on your screen will likely be different. You need to touch just below the right page scroll arrow.
Diagnostic screen should display. If it doesn’t, hit Menu and try again.

The following items are available:
Self Diagnosis Tools
Display Diagnostics
Vehicle Signals
Speaker Test
Navigation
Error History
AV COMM Disgnosis
Clock Setting
Camera Control Unit
SXM
Delete Unit Connection Log
Reset Settings
Version Information
Program Update
Switch Information
ANC/ASC
Hands Free Phone

#8 ·
Call me simple, but what would one do once you've broken into the diagnostics menu? I'd hate to fat finger something and lose something critical like in dunno....ABS or something...

#11 ·
Last I poked around with this I came away with the impression that the app files need to be "signed" with a trusted certificate. To get your own app files to be accepted, you'd need to get your public key added to the trusted key store. Being that I'm leasing, I'm a bit hesitant to pursuit rooting the system.

I've given up and grudgingly accepted that I have to BT stream Pandora and deal with the inherent limitations of waiting for a stop light, or parking to update what's playing. This is my second Infiniti, and is increasingly looking like my last. My G25's power steering growled and vibrated on low speed left hand "parking lot" turns. Twice to the dealer, and twice refused to acknowledge/correct the problem. Last go around didn't bother to even drive it a single ******* mile (checked OD). Fortunately my Q50's mechanicals are in order, but the electronics lack any semblance of polish, or even completion. Back up camera has stayed on twice now; most recently I touched the handled to unlock only to have the alarm go off; Bluetooth for the longest time kept locking up, though has recently stabilized; phone dialer loves to initiate calls then drop; address book has hard time figuring out if it should merge entries from different accounts on my phone. Drive the car one day, ask to call my wife and it will select the number and dial. The next day it will present me with two entries for the same number, and ask me to choose, one from the phone's memory, the other from Google.

The IS350 and the Model 3 are looking more and more interesting the longer they leave this BS unfixed, and refuse to communicate with their customers about any of it.

#12 · (Edited)
The IS350 and the Model 3 are looking more and more interesting the longer they leave this BS unfixed, and refuse to communicate with their customers about any of it.[/QUOTE]

Love the car, hate the manufacturer's shitty communication regarding the InTouch system. For as much as they touted it in marketing and when selling the car, they sure F'd up and ignored customers once the paperwork was signed. That crappy typical BS pisses me off enough to think twice when my lease is up. Hope there's progress and something to keep me in the Infiniti camp next summer, otherwise I'm looking elsewhere.
Remember, they have yet to deal with all of the first year owners/customers coming back off of leases and/or in the market to replace their 2014's. That, will be problematic for Infiniti unless they come up with "hook" to keep us. Car manufacturers are very smart, and they know that this is coming down the pike in a big way, so I'll be interested to see how Infiniti positions their offers to retain customers. It'll be "game on" for a lot of folks.

#13 ·
Hi, I own a Q50 hybrid and I have the legend "Now loading all apps" forever in my screen. I took my car to service center and they said they had to replace the screen for about 1,500 USD (out of warranty). I read in forums that some people have fixed this by flashing via USB the software, but the service center refuses to do this. I found the sourcecode in globaldenso.com, and now I have the source code for my car, it is a 378 mb zip file. Does anyone knows how to flash it?? Can it be done safely via the diagnose screen? Regards.

#15 ·
Great. Now you can go to Infiniti dealer. If he likes you, he will charge you 50-100$ to restore configuration of display control unit - DCU. If he doesn't, he will charge you 1000-1500$ for new DCU. You need dealer scan-tool "consult 3" to reprogram DCU back if you want to DIY.

#22 ·
The last time the vulnerable Continental TCUs were installed in a Nissan or Infiniti vehicle was MY2016, so you would need to find an older model that did not get the TCU replaced with TSB 17041. Either way, there are much easier ways to inject software into an Android OS than to compromise a TCU to get access to the CAN bus. In fact, even if you compromised a TCU, you still need to inject a payload into the Android OS--just skip the fiasco of compromising the TCU and connect to the infotainment system directly.