Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Funny thing is that the hinges are secured with bolts that would be fine holding struts on the car. No movement can happen once they are torqued to spec. It's not a toy. Now as to whether there's flex on the center aluminum portion, I have no idea. Like I said it looks good lol.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RS 400
31 Posts
Funny thing is that the hinges are secured with bolts that would be fine holding struts on the car. No movement can happen once they are torqued to spec. It's not a toy. Now as to whether there's flex on the center aluminum portion, I have no idea. Like I said it looks good lol.
What is the intended purpose/need of the strut bar?

·
Registered
2018 Q50s
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
What is the intended purpose/need of the strut bar?
Adds +10hp and +100 woah points 🙃 jk, supposed to keep your front chasis from flexing, giving it more rigidity..?

Reactions: TDR and u1arunit

·
Registered
745 Posts
Behold, a STB for a Q50 that's a one-piece design and made of steel. Not perfect, but a huge step in the right direction.

Besides it's stated steel construction and one-piece design, the other way I know it to be useful is that it doesn't look particularly pretty, lol.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,871 Posts
Behold, a STB for a Q50 that's a one-piece design and made of steel. Not perfect, but a huge step in the right direction.

Besides it's stated steel construction and one-piece design, the other way I know it to be useful is that it doesn't look particularly pretty, lol.
Better than the Cusco but still somewhat of a compromise. While it's one-piece steel, it is still arched and flattened to fit in the engine compartment.

Aluminum and steel can have the same rigidity but that's only on a weight basis. A five-pound aluminum pipe will be as strong as a 5-pound steel pipe. The problem is steel is almost 3 times heavier than aluminum. To have the same rigidity, an aluminum brace would have to be a lot larger than a steel brace to achieve the same rigidity. Aluminum is more expensive than steel but it's a lot easier to shape into forms other than tubular than steel can be. It's that same malleability and elasticity of aluminum that makes it less desirable than steel in this application.

Ideally, a FSB should be tubular, constructed with steel and in the same plane as the strut tower. For example:

Many car's engine compartments, including the Q50, won't allow this orientation so compromises must be made in order for a FSB to fit. Tubular steel won't fit because of the space required to clear the engine cover and not rub on the hood. Making an extruded aluminum crosspiece that is somewhat flattened is easier to manufacture to fit it into the tight confines of the engine compartment. This constraint also requires the crosspiece to be arched which also increases flexibility compared to a flat crosspiece that is in the same plane as the strut towers. The multi-piece FSBs with hinges make installation easier but those hinges add to the flexibility of the FSB.

To be clear, I'm not saying a Cusco-type aluminum FSB provides no additional structural rigidity but it won't be as rigid as one made of tubular steel and in a flat plane. To me, the aluminum, multi-piece FSBs are more for appearance than function.

Reactions: SLWQ50_

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree on all points of your post. I really do wish there was a viable option but I don't think any Q50 owner is going to be willing to drill into and then secure a STB to their firewall.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I agree on all points of your post. I really do wish there was a viable option but I don't think any Q50 owner is going to be willing to drill into and then secure a STB to their firewall.
No room on the firewall.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50s
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I meant to ask you.

would you be so kind as to weigh the factory cover and the CF cover?

just curious.
Whenever I get a hold of a scale I will do it. Just by holding them though, you can feel the CF one is way lighter than the stock one.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Whenever I get a hold of a scale I will do it. Just by holding them though, you can feel the CF one is way lighter than the stock one.
that would be much appreciated.

you may put your findings here:

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
To be clear, I'm not saying a Cusco-type aluminum FSB provides no additional structural rigidity but it won't be as rigid as one made of tubular steel and in a flat plane. To me, the aluminum, multi-piece FSBs are more for appearance than function.
It's laughable that I can buy a better-designed strut tower brace for my Audi SQ5 Sportback SUV than my now more sport-inclined Infiniti Q60. At least the Audi engineers got it right with regards to packaging and layout.

Here's what the aftermarket is providing:

Product Tool Font Hand tool Material property

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille

Although Audi chose stamped Aluminum, 034 Motorsport infers the stamped Al is flimsy, so try our billet Al T6-6061 brace instead... for $500...:

The factory Audi Q5/SQ5 strut brace is made of thin stamped aluminum, allowing for lateral deflection of the strut towers and chassis flex under hard cornering. This deflection can be observed as imprecise steering input and a vague, disconnected feeling from the front end.

The 034Motorsport Strut Brace replaces the flimsy individual factory braces to improve the B9/B9.5 Q5 & SQ5's steering feel and handling performance. This robust chassis reinforcement is machined from T6-6061 billet aluminum, and engineered to be a comprehensive upgrade by limiting lateral strut tower deflection and maintaining proper suspension geometry under heavy cornering. The incorporated center brace ties together both left and right strut towers to provide precise, consistent feedback from the front end and ensures that you enjoy a more connected and precise driving experience.

Someday if I want to throw money down the SQ5 money pit I'll let you know if the 034 Motorsports Strut Brace can make my SQ5 out-corner my Q60. LOL.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It's laughable that I can buy a better-designed strut tower brace for my Audi SQ5 Sportback SUV than my now more sport-inclined Infiniti Q60. At least the Audi engineers got it right with regards to packaging and layout.

Here's what the aftermarket is providing:

View attachment 104010

View attachment 104011

Although Audi chose stamped Aluminum, 034 Motorsport infers the stamped Al is flimsy, so try our billet Al T6-6061 brace instead... for $500...:

The factory Audi Q5/SQ5 strut brace is made of thin stamped aluminum, allowing for lateral deflection of the strut towers and chassis flex under hard cornering. This deflection can be observed as imprecise steering input and a vague, disconnected feeling from the front end.

The 034Motorsport Strut Brace replaces the flimsy individual factory braces to improve the B9/B9.5 Q5 & SQ5's steering feel and handling performance. This robust chassis reinforcement is machined from T6-6061 billet aluminum, and engineered to be a comprehensive upgrade by limiting lateral strut tower deflection and maintaining proper suspension geometry under heavy cornering. The incorporated center brace ties together both left and right strut towers to provide precise, consistent feedback from the front end and ensures that you enjoy a more connected and precise driving experience.

Someday if I want to throw money down the SQ5 money pit I'll let you know if the 034 Motorsports Strut Brace can make my SQ5 out-corner my Q60. LOL.
Well, notice how the engine is positioned much further forward in the FWD based Audi. The FM platform positioned the engine further back, which is why it is more challenging to come up with a strut tower bar solution. However, the engine position on the FM platform is preferred for other reasons.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.