Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, thanks to a "free" carwash from Infiniti last year, they power washed away some of my body color paint on my front grille surround. It got worse and worse over time.

I had a few different options (buy the Infiniti gloss black sports grill, have the grille repainted, wrap it, etc.) but, at the end of the day, I chose this route. It was cheap(ish) and easy. Not having to take the front bumper cover off was a huge plus.

No offense to anyone but I am not a CF guy. You can find these grille overlays all day long in CF. But try finding it in glass black. This was the only gloss black listing I could find. I paid $115, looks like it's currently $113.

Overall, I am happy. The quality seems pretty good. The gloss black color matches the gloss black fog light bezel well. Fitment is very good - but too bad you can look down along the very top and still see the OEM grille just a little. The other three sides are fine. Install was easy. No instructions; just a well wrapped and boxed grille overlay and a roll of thin double stick tape.

I scraped away as much of the body color paint as I could, cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol, applied the 2 sided tape to the overlay and slowly guided the overlay onto the OEM grille. When I did my dry fitment, I put a piece of masking tape on the overlay and adjacent hood and drew a line which I used to line up during install.

Sorry for the cramped indoor pics. I was too lazy to move the car back. I'll try to get some better / daylight pics if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
One reason why I write a big note, DO NOT WASH and leave it on the dash when I bring my car in for Service as well as tell the Advisor to add a line on the RO as well

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,666 Posts
I thought you were up in the mountains on vacation?

·
Registered
2014 3.7, 14 Hybrid S, 17 Silver sport, 17 Red Sport, now 18 Signature.
1,875 Posts
Nice, all you need to do now is the eye lids to cover the white, it will look sharp.(y)

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,827 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One reason why I write a big note, DO NOT WASH and leave it on the dash when I bring my car in for Service as well as tell the Advisor to add a line on the RO as well
Yes, I learned. Coincidentally, I go back today for another issue. I will be sure to tell them no car wash.

I thought you were up in the mountains on vacation?
We were there a few nights. We returned home yesterday. I installed the overlay last night.

Nice, all you need to do now is the eye lids to cover the white, it will look sharp.(y)
When I got my headlights done, there were lots of options. Demon eyes, LEDs, frosting, etc. I was only interested in amber delete. I like my headlights exactly as they are.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I did the Carbon Fiber surround off eBay and it's been on now for well over a year and I am super impressed with it.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
168 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You didn't like the entire black grill for roughly the same price? Well at least it was when I bought it last year. Amazon.com: For Infiniti Q50 14-17 JDM Eau Style Black Front Bumper Hood Grille Conversion: Automotive
No, no, no. I loooove the OEM diamond gunmetal inner grille. My ideal choice probably would have been to buy the genuine Infiniti gloss black sport grille and take it apart for the gloss black surround and use my gunmetal diamonds. But that's hundreds of dollars and would require me to take off the front bumper cover. The aftermarket gloss black sport grille can't be taken apart. This overlay was the cheapest and easiest solution. Gloss black surround, gunmetal inner diamonds. :)

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
168 Posts
No, no, no. I loooove the OEM diamond gunmetal inner grille. My ideal choice probably would have been to buy the genuine Infiniti gloss black sport grille and take it apart for the gloss black surround and use my gunmetal diamonds. But that's hundreds of dollars and would require me to take off the front bumper cover. The aftermarket gloss black sport grille can't be taken apart. This overlay was the cheapest and easiest solution. Gloss black surround, gunmetal inner diamonds. :)
I haven't tried but I'm pretty sure the aftermarket one can be taken apart to put in the gunmetal diamond. I was going to do that at first but when I saw the all black it actually looks quite nice and matches with the lower grill so I left it.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I wish Infiniti - and other manfucturers - would offer Chrome/Badge delete straight from the factory, just like BMW does.

Reactions: securityguy

·
Registered
Gulfport, Mississippi
49 Posts
I wish Infiniti - and other manfucturers - would offer Chrome/Badge delete straight from the factory, just like BMW does.
Nissan offers a Midnight Edition on several models, though it looks like some of them still have a little chrome trim along the door. I thought Dodge had something like that at one point, not sure if they still offer it.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't tried but I'm pretty sure the aftermarket one can be taken apart to put in the gunmetal diamond. I was going to do that at first but when I saw the all black it actually looks quite nice and matches with the lower grill so I left it.
Maybe someone else can confirm but, in my research, the OEM grilles can come apart but the Amazon grilles can not.

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
88 Posts
Maybe someone else can confirm but, in my research, the OEM grilles can come apart but the Amazon grilles can not.
So I just ordered a blacked out grill from Amazon. On this model you can separate the grill portion from the frame. I just had to remove 9 screws and the rest is all plastic clips. Did not take the whole thing off but tested each section and snapped a pic.

Only ? is whether the OEM grill can be mounted to the Amazon frame.

I like both looks, but leaning towards trying to keep the gunmetal. Can report back.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I just ordered a blacked out grill from Amazon. On this model you can separate the grill portion from the frame. I just had to remove 9 screws and the rest is all plastic clips. Did not take the whole thing off but tested each section and snapped a pic.

Only ? is whether the OEM grill can be mounted to the Amazon frame.

I like both looks, but leaning towards trying to keep the gunmetal. Can report back.
Thanks PR. I have a '17 so mine might be different but in looking at the back of the amazon '17 grille, I do see screws so maybe it does come apart. Ideally that's how I should have done it. It would be cleaner to have the outer frame replaced than to stick on an overlay. But, again, taking off the bumper cover doesn't look fun.

Keep us updated on your project. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts