Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Q50 Sport

I have trouble seeing while backing up at night, so I've picked up an LED light bar that mounts to my license plate bracket. It's a 5W 12vDC that comes with two wires that connect directly to the existing reverse light wiring. The instructions say to hook up the LED bar to the "positive" and "negative" wires of the reverse lights.

I looked at the wiring diagram and there is no indication of what wire is "positive" or "negative" so I'm a bit lost. Does anyone know what wires I should be looking for? What color?

This is the diagram: https://imgur.com/a/nMfhbqn

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
2016 Q50 Sport

I have trouble seeing while backing up at night, so I've picked up an LED light bar that mounts to my license plate bracket. It's a 5W 12vDC that comes with two wires that connect directly to the existing reverse light wiring. The instructions say to hook up the LED bar to the "positive" and "negative" wires of the reverse lights.

I looked at the wiring diagram and there is no indication of what wire is "positive" or "negative" so I'm a bit lost. Does anyone know what wires I should be looking for? What color?

This is the diagram: https://imgur.com/a/nMfhbqn
I'm interested in this too. Would you need to replace the fuse to that circuit since the load with the new lights will be greater?
Which light bar did you get? can you please post a link or image?
Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have totally been thinking about this too. (*cough* especially since I tinted over my reverse circles *cough*). But I was thinking more about something discrete you can't see. Like a light underneath the rear bumper that can still aim out and light up the ground but not be seen? Not sure if that is possible.
But I guess this license plate mount would work too. I would want a black bracket though, not silver.

Don't know the answer to the question but I thought this pic might help so that we can discuss wire colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone check the math on this?

The fuse to the rear tail lamp assembly is a 5A fuse.
The reverse lights pull 3.1W (0.2583A at 12V).
The tail lights pull 1.8W (0.15A at 12V).
The LED bar pulls 5W (0.4167A at 12V).

Total wattage: 9.9W
Total amps: 0.825A

Therefore, there is no need to compensate for additional load on the fuse because the fuse can handle close to 60 watts at 12 volts DC. Correct?

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I want to know if that back-up light comes with that bitchin' license plate frame?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Can someone check the math on this?

The fuse to the rear tail lamp assembly is a 5A fuse.
The reverse lights pull 3.1W (0.2583A at 12V).
The tail lights pull 1.8W (0.15A at 12V).
The LED bar pulls 5W (0.4167A at 12V).

Total wattage: 9.9W
Total amps: 0.825A

Therefore, there is no need to compensate for additional load on the fuse because the fuse can handle close to 60 watts at 12 volts DC. Correct?

No math needed. Yes, you can easily add a low current LED light strip to your existing reverse light circuit.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
The wire color codes can vary between years and models. Your wiring diagram shows you the pin numbers on the rear combination lamp (trunk side) connector that correspond to positive and negative (ground). Pin #2 is the 12 VDC lead and Pin #4 is the ground. The service manual shows pin #2 color to be BG (black w/gray stripe?) and pin #4 color to be B (black).

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about excess current draw on that circuit blowing a fuse either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wire color codes can vary between years and models. Your wiring diagram shows you the pin numbers on the rear combination lamp (trunk side) connector that correspond to positive and negative (ground). Pin #2 is the 12 VDC lead and Pin #4 is the ground. The service manual shows pin #2 color to be BG (black w/gray stripe?) and pin #4 color to be B (black).
Where in the service manual do you see this? All I have is a 2015 service manual, but I couldn't find wire colors anywhere in that one. I want to make sure I don't goof this up.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I think it'd be safe to assume that black is ground, start there and tap on one of the other wires until you find the right one.
Report back when you got it working :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think it'd be safe to assume that black is ground, start there and tap on one of the other wires until you find the right one.
Report back when you got it working :)
/\
|
|
This.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Where in the service manual do you see this? All I have is a 2015 service manual, but I couldn't find wire colors anywhere in that one. I want to make sure I don't goof this up.
In the Power Supply, Ground and Circuit Elements section of the FSM there is a section that has the various wiring diagrams shown. After that is a listing of the connectors by number. Here's the rear taillight connector (trunk side).

As stated, Terminal No. 2 (12 VDC) shows a wire color of BG. Usually this means black with a gray stripe on the wire. Terminal No.4 (Ground) shows a wire color of B. That is black.

Remember the color codes can vary so connector terminal positions are the best way to select the proper wires. Always test with a multimeter to make sure you have the correct wires.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I meant black is the negative.
Should just take you a couple of tries to find which one of the other two wires is the positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
I meant black is the negative.
Should just take you a couple of tries to find which one of the other two wires is the positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, same thing.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Some LEDs won't light up if the polarity is reversed so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I tested the LED bar, and it is not as bright as I want. I decided that if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right and do it once. I decided to return the LED bar and get something substantially brighter and better made:
https://www.vleds.com/lpr-reverse-72-w.html
Bummer.. I ordered one thinking it was a simple fix for the dark cam at night. Oh well, I've wasted far more $ than $12 b4. Almost not worth the trouble of returning it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a very long driveway with a lot of sharp bends that I have to navigate backward in total darkness. For my situation, I need something ridiculously bright. Unless you've got a driveway like me, I think the LED bar you bought will be more than sufficient. When I tested it, it was like a pretty decent wide-beam flashlight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts