Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be my first post on this forum, I've owned my 2015 Q50 for about 10 months. The only aftermarket things I've really done to it are exterior things, rear diffuser, small carbon fiber spoiler, black rims ,painted calipers and also of course 20% tint. I started doing a little more research about the exhaust from hearing about how restrictive the stock exhaust is and decided to buy the Megan Racing resonated test pipes. I've got a cheap OBII scanner and I've read about the CEL coming on after installing this for various reasons. But my question is, can I wipe the code when it appears, as long as its nothing serious like an exhaust leak or something? Because alot of people are saying a tune is required when getting testpipes and im also confused there because I thought getting a tune was only really used for HP and TQ gains.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Do you have a product link? I didn't know about MR making resonated test pipes, nor do I see them on the site.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
No CEL after I installed the HKS resonated LDPs. I recommend them.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The 3.7 NA may be a different animal (or not) regarding the CEL being triggered. I took his word that he's read about the CEL coming on after test pipe install.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
The 3.7 NA may be a different animal (or not) regarding the CEL being triggered. I took his word that he's read about the CEL coming on after test pipe install.
It very well could be.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is going to be my first post on this forum, I've owned my 2015 Q50 for about 10 months. The only aftermarket things I've really done to it are exterior things, rear diffuser, small carbon fiber spoiler, black rims ,painted calipers and also of course 20% tint. I started doing a little more research about the exhaust from hearing about how restrictive the stock exhaust is and decided to buy the Megan Racing resonated test pipes. I've got a cheap OBII scanner and I've read about the CEL coming on after installing this for various reasons. But my question is, can I wipe the code when it appears, as long as its nothing serious like an exhaust leak or something? Because alot of people are saying a tune is required when getting testpipes and im also confused there because I thought getting a tune was only really used for HP and TQ gains.
First off, the Megan test pipe is probably the worst test pipe you can buy for the 3.7. Why? The Flex sections breaks and it'll leak. I owned 2 sets years ago on my 3.7. Everyone I knew that had a set had a similar experience. Sure, you can fix them but the time/money, but at that point you're better off buying something else.

Getting a CEL for test pipes is a hit or miss. If you throw a code, you can clear it but it will come back. There are cheap ways to mitigate the issue but none are guaranteed (02 spacers, etc.). The only sure fire way to get rid of it permanently is a tune through UpRev or ECUTEK.

You can run a test pipe without a tune no problem. Don't get fooled into thinking you need a tune or you'll blow your 3.7.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Do you have a product link? I didn't know about MR making resonated test pipes, nor do I see them on the site.

Yes I have a product link, my account was brand new when i made this post so it didnt allow me to post a link. Megan Racing Resonated Test Pipes VQ35HR VQ37VHR - Nissan 350Z, 370Z / Infiniti G35, G37, Q50, Q60 MR-SSDP-N7Z - Concept Z Performance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you link these? The only reason I went with megan racing was of course the cost, I knew they wouldnt be the best in line for $130 but I've seen a few videos on youtube about them and they didnt seem as bad as what im hearing now.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Can you link these? The only reason I went with megan racing was of course the cost, I knew they wouldnt be the best in line for $130 but I've seen a few videos on youtube about them and they didnt seem as bad as what im hearing now.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
The HKS resonated LDPs will run you $400 plus $17 shipping. More expensive than the Megans but you get what you pay for in quality. I wouldn't put a downpipe on with those braided flex sections either. Definite failure point of their design.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Those aforementioned HKS are for VR30 only. Won’t fit on the 3.7’s FYI.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Those aforementioned HKS are for VR30 only. Won’t fit on the 3.7’s FYI.
Yeah, I neglected to look at the MY. Won't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I neglected to look at the MY. Won't work.
So disregarding the test pipes, what is a good way to get a deeper/louder tone from my 3.7? I dont really know alot about mufflers or if the universal fit mufflers are a good choice.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So disregarding the test pipes, what is a good way to get a deeper/louder tone from my 3.7? I dont really know alot about mufflers or if the universal fit mufflers are a good choice.
No such word as 'alot'. ;) No, I think you can still buy and install test pipes on your 3.7 if you'd like, I think AC and A5 were just saying you can't fit the HKS resonated lower down pipes on your 3.7. Not sure of all your test pipe options for the 3.7 as I have a 3.0t. If you are only after sound, you can get an axle back exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts