Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Premium Member
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a factory black grille and an ams/infiniti heat exchanger. Anyone else have 83 of those plastic body panel push pin thingies left over after that? 馃槀

Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I've never used an air lift tool before so that was fun. Had to top off the coolant reservoir a couple of times after the install and made sure to burp the HE when done. But it everything seems to be working fine. Either that or my excitement has me overlooking two cooked water pumps lol.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really need to find some spare time in my life...

Product Revolver Input device Trigger Gadget

Gadget Gas Font Machine Rectangle

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, okay. You guys have shamed me into putting in the low pressure fuel pump. So that's done now.

On that note, I hope whichever engineer decided to put the IPDM in that crap location gets bitten by their dog when they get home.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the trans mount installed! Haven't driven it yet. Crazy how much I was able to flex the stock one with just my hands though.

Have a couple of work meetings, then gotta take my daughter to gymnastics. Then I finally have some me time and going to install the subframe collars and diff brace.

Yay for progress!

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Gas Composite material

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle Hood

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aaannnddddd life got in the way again today. Took Friday off. Just have to go buy a beta fish and hopefully get the rest of this done.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, have some thoughts about the trans mount. Will post soon.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Subframe collars and diff brace are installed!

Also got 11 lbs of weight reduction from the large amount of gravel that fell out from various places when I installed this stuff.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered Infiniti/AMS intakes yesterday. Of course they are backordered. Once those are in, can proceed with tune. Also ordered GPS adapter cable to be able to use factory GPS antenna with Tesla screen. Progress halted :/

I am thinking about tackling exhaust next. Trying to find the right combination of parts. Will probably do resonated lower downpipes if I can find some in a 3" variety and a 3" full catback.

Other considerations for what's coming next are front/rear sway bars, fender coolant tank, Amp/Sub, or start collecting SPL suspension components to prep for RSR active coilovers.

I am basically trying to do the prep work that would provide a solid foundation for this car in case I decide to keep it and go big turbos for next summer instead of buying a new Z06. If I do go full send with this car, I will probably be looking at a full build including boring it out to 3.2L, Garretts, build trans, and all supporing mods.

Anyone have any advice?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm one of those, "if you're going to do it, do it right so you only have to do it once" kind of people.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Alrighty, dinner is served, kids are tucked, and dogs are pooped. Finally have a moment for my take on the trans mount, diff brace, and subframe collars...

I installed the trans mount first and drove on that for a few days. My review will focus mostly on NVH along with some side notes...

Trans mount only:

Noise: there is a significant (though tolerable) increase in noise with this setup. You can certainly hear the trans sloshing fluid around and otherwise doing its best to wobble around its centerline circumference.

Vibration: securing the transmission while leaving the rear end flopping around every which way definitely made for some interesting (not bad) vibrations felt while driving.

Harshness: increased - but in a good way. Meaning shifts felt "snappier" and I no longer worried about the car having to hunt for second gear from a launch. Ive had a couple of launches prior to installation where the car seemed to take forever to find second gear. That's no longer a problem.

Overall: improved shifting, increased noise, increased vibration if you know what to look for. My wife would never notice it, so not bad.

Trans mount + diff brace + subframe collars:

Noise: most of the drive train noise has abated. I get a very faint "hum" while going downhill with no throttle. Wierdly, the car sounds a lot like my previous 3.7L Q50 now, even though I didn't do any engine mods. In fact, I went back into the admin menu to ensure that the engine noise speaker setting was still turned off to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.

Vibration: has been fixed. I had a spinal fusion in January and that is the best analogy I can give as to how the car feels now. It just feels solid. Like everything is actually one car.

Harshness: still there in the good way mentioned above. In normal mode, the car shifts like it used to in sport mode. And in sport, it shifts like it used to in sport+.

Other notes: this car feels like how, in my opinion, red sports should have come from the factory. The lack of movement in the drive train and subframe really woke the car up. When stopped and letting off of the brakes, the car seems eager to go forward now in a way that it didn't before. I can actually feel the suspension doing it's job now as opposed to some vague, distant relationship that it felt like the car used to have with the road. The hesitation that I used to have between the time that I gave it throttle and the car actually accelerating is now imperceptible to me. Now it's press gas and go as opposed to press gas, think about a gear change, take flex out of drive train, think about gear change again, and then go. I didn't realize how much the back of the car felt disconnected from the front of the car until these upgrades were installed.

Im really happy with the results. The only potential drawback I can see so far is the increased noise. But to my ears, it's a good sound and I'm going to be sound deadening the entire thing anyway so it's not really a negative for me.

Hope this helps someone. Have a great evening!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wifey is on the plane headed to Vegas for a girl's weekend. Hurry up with those intakes, UPS person!!!

Tire Green Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Tool progression that I just went through trying to out-think the sadistic b*****d who thought that putting the intake hose clamp at that angle was a good idea...

Nope

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nope...

Rectangle Textile Wood Tablecloth Flooring

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hell no...

Blue Azure Textile Rectangle Aqua

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good thought, but nope...

Outerwear Azure Textile Sleeve Wood

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ended up using this + a sacrifice of an inch of forearm skin while praying I don't drop the damn thing into the abyss while feeling around blindly trying to get the socket onto the clamp screw. But we got there, eventually.

Blue Azure Textile Wood Aqua

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah, I'm in CO. It's like 90 degrees right now but we're definitely a 4 season state. And yes, there are dispensaries everywhere. We're not the mile high state just cuz of the altitude anymore!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts