Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,149 Posts
I actually ordered the brake lines when I did the rotors and when they went to install them, they had the wrong banjo bolt so they got sent back to Z1.

Brake fluid was changed then also, about 5000 miles ago. Think I should try the stainless lines again before changing pads? Any thoughts on the Z1 master cylinder brace?
I think SS brake lines improve pedal feel and response, based on my experience. It's minor but noticeable. Others here who have installed them agree. I think for the price, they're worth it. I can't say that they will solve your problem though. I don't have a pad recommendation as I'm still on the Infiniti Motorsport street pads and I can't say I'd recommend them, especially if you're looking for track-performance pads.

IMHO, as far as the master cylinder brace goes, I'd spend my money elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks @Avedis53!

Ill look back into them and maybe call Z1 before ordering again.

So my V2 map came in and I just finished data logging that. Learned from last time and decided to do 4th gear pull first. Brakes worked much better (duh 🤦🏽‍♂️) and it definitely got through the rpm band with much more motivation this time around.

Had ample room to stop. That's always nice. More of a butt tingly feeling at the end of my pull before the "you should have started braking a football field ago" braking zone before the death curve in the road as opposed to the butt pucker feeling I had the first time. 😳

• Haha
Reactions: RaceCar

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,149 Posts
Thanks @Avedis53!

Ill look back into them and maybe call Z1 before ordering again.

So my V2 map came in and I just finished data logging that. Learned from last time and decided to do 4th gear pull first. Brakes worked much better (duh 🤦🏽‍♂️) and it definitely got through the rpm band with much more motivation this time around.

Had ample room to stop. That's always nice. More of a butt tingly feeling at the end of my pull before the "you should have started braking a football field ago" braking zone before the death curve in the road as opposed to the butt pucker feeling I had the first time. 😳
Mine came with the proper banjo bolts for the BBK.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Mine came with the proper banjo bolts for the BBK.
Mostly finished my tesla screen install and setup today! A few more tweaks and for realsies all done...for now.

My day: After not being able to celebrate Father's day last weekend cuz I got covid from taking care of the wifey, I finished my today with this sunset and this install; after celebrating fathers day with grilled ribeye, grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, fresh mash, homemade brocolli salad and homemade pasta salad.

Car is done being tuned and is a baby beast.

It was a good day. And I really needed it.

Automotive lighting Gadget Automotive design Audio equipment Display device

Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Tire Sky

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ams fender tank arrived today and antigravity battery here tomorrow. Super stoked for some wrench time!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Also, I think I'm less than a month away from buying a sleeved block. Then the real fun begins 😈

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,149 Posts
Also, I think I'm less than a month away from buying a sleeved block. Then the real fun begins 😈
I'm about a month away from my next colonoscopy. That's when my fun begins.

Reactions: BlaQBetty

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm about a month away from my next colonoscopy. That's when my fun begins.
You only have to be concerned when there's two hands on your shoulders. 😬

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,149 Posts
You only have to be concerned when there's two hands on your shoulders. 😬
H3ll, they knock you out for those so you have no idea what's going on at the other end. :unsure:

Reactions: BlaQBetty

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Alrighty...got my zerogravity lithium battery installed today. It was straightforward but I did take a clip by clip/bolt by bolt series of pics. If anyone would find a detailed writeup of how to swap a battery, lmk and I'll put it together.

Betty dropped 24.6 lbs!

Circuit component Ceiling fan Passive circuit component Electronic component Wood

Gas Font Tire Automotive tire Machine

Gas Machine Font Gadget Tool

Attachments

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow and I think I'll be installing my fender tank. Just have to make sure it's in there and good to go before game of thrones starts...

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Fender tank is installed and bled. I was on a time crunch so didn't get any pics for an install guide, but it was pretty straightforward.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I ended up making some padding out of gorilla tape to soften the edges of the frame a bit where the hoses were close to pinch welds. And I also used a couple of ginormous zip ties to hold one of the hoses away from wire looms and more sharp corners. But overall it went smoothly.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Today I learned that bleeding the IC system with a fender tank is an absolute pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Thanks @RaceCar!

So the IC coolant continues to be a discomfort in my 4th point of contact. I used an airlift tool to bleed the system after installing the fender tank. I checked the level this morning and found that it was still sitting at the max line. Dropped off my daughter at school and went to the store when I noticed sporadic fluctuations in the CACT gauge. I also noticed that there was a significant delta between the CACT and the Charge Air temp. Babied the car home and found that the reservior was empty. No problem, I naively thought to myself, I'll just top it off like I did when I installed my heat exchanger. Did that and then took it back out. Then I started to get DTC's all related to the water pumps. Wonderful.

Babied the car back home, and topped off the reservior. Cleared codes and let it heat soak for a while and topped off again. Codes came back. Well, I eventually refined this process to the following method and fingers crossed, that problem seems solved:

Step 1: Deep breath
Step 2: Check coolant level
Step 3: Repeatedly pinch various intercooler coolant hoses while checking coolant level
Step 4: Swear repeatedly at sharp edges and hot engine bay
Step 5: Repeat Steps 1-4 until coolant reservior stays steady
Step 6: Pray that water pumps aren't shot
Step 7: Heat soak car again while repeating Steps 3 and 4
Step 8: Turn off car
Step 9: Clean up coolant overflow mess
Step 10: Repeat Steps 1-9.

That seems to have fixed it for now.

But I had another wierd thing happen after all of that. I was going back to the store and the car went into limp mode. No CEL, just no power and I assumed it was something to do with the IC system again. I pulled into a parking lot at the bottom of the hill, but when I checked the codes, it was a MAF Sensor code. That was really weird. I wasn't working anywhere near the MAF sensors. Hopefully it was a one-time thing. I'll keep an eye on it.

Outside of that, the car feels stronger than ever. It seems like it is pulling even harder than it was after I completed my tune with Racebox. I just hope these gremlins are few and far between.

Reactions: darien87

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hello peeps. I am getting close to ordering a sleeved block. Anyone have any input into Wet vs Dry sleeves for this build. My goal for this car beyond 1000 awhp is to be able to drive the thing on a modest boost level daily.

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
1,244 Posts
Hello peeps. I am getting close to ordering a sleeved block. Anyone have any input into Wet vs Dry sleeves for this build. My goal for this car beyond 1000 awhp is to be able to drive the thing on a modest boost level daily.
Your modest daily boost level will still make me look like a 2.0t.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts