Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Lol.

It's only gotta make that power level once. Then be (mostly) reliable to drive on a 500hp map daily and a 750hp map whenever someone thinks their scat pack is hot sh*t.

So here are my current thoughts on this build:

1. Sleeved block (88.5-99mm overbore)
2. New crank
3. Manley forged rods
4. Je forged pistons
5. Ferrea valve springs
6. Dropbear wmi intake manifold plate
7. FI interchiller (stage 2)
8. Dropbear turbo kit with gt 25-660 turbos
9. Turbo back 3" exhaust
10. Front and rear diffs
11. Cf drive shaft
12. Level 10 built trans and torque converter
13. Dropbear intercoolers
14. Dropbear 1900cc injectors
15. Ams flex fuel kit
16. Spool high and low pressure fuel pumps
17. Functional cf vented hood

That's kinda what I have floating around in my brain right now. I'm sure that I missed something and went way overkill in some areas though.

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
18. Wifey to remain in a relatively good mood for the next year or so while I undertake this ridiculous project

• Haha
Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Dear Infiniti,

Why does this switch cost $1100+ 😱

This just for the switch, not the entire center console 💸💸💸😱😱😱💸💸💸

Vehicle Car White Light Automotive design

Font Pattern Rectangle Monochrome Number

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,149 Posts
Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
No idea.

Maybe that they had a theory that would have been risky for them to tell me that it wouldn't be covered under warranty? 🤣

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Risk Theory… awesome name for a metal band.

announcer voice
Playing for one night only at Red Rocks, this Friday: Risk Theory!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Alrighty ladies and gents,

I need help with the mother of all First World Problems...

So I think I'll have somewhere between $6000 and $8000 saved by the end of this month for Betty.

Then I figure I can save something around $1000/month beginning next month.

But my "dilemma" is that to do next.

Some things I am considering buying next are:

Block and forged internals (~$6000)
Stage 2 interchiller & mishimoto intercoolers (~$4500)
Keep saving for dropbear turbo kit w gt25-660's (~$11,000)
Built trans (~$6000)
Cf driveshaft and LSD (~$2500)
All the fuel system upgrades (~$5000)
Lower downpipes and full exhaust (~$2500)

I was really looking forward to picking up dropbear wmi injection system next, but it's currently out of production to make capacity room for their turbo kits.

Anyone want to vote?

Things I can install and enjoy on the car now while saving are the interchiller/intercooler, driveshaft/LSD, and exhaust.

But my biggest line items are the turbo kit, motor, and trans. But all of these will sit in the garage until all of the rest of it it purchased and installed.

What to do, what to do...🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
1,244 Posts

So I think I'll have somewhere between $6000 and $8000 saved by the end of this month for Betty.

Built trans (~$6000)

I was really looking forward to picking up dropbear wmi injection system next, but it's currently out of production to make capacity room for their turbo kits.

Anyone want to vote?

Things I can install and enjoy on the car now while saving are the interchiller/intercooler, driveshaft/LSD, and exhaust.

But my biggest line items are the turbo kit, motor, and trans. But all of these will sit in the garage until all of the rest of it it purchased and installed.

My take (I might be very wrong) is that you're in a sticky spot picking between all of these mods because they almost all compliment each other. I organized my thoughts on the approach of building everything first and doing the power-adding down the line. As unexciting as it is, it might save you money in the long term as opposed to just chasing power until something blows.
  1. I think the Block & Forged Internals will be the best spot to start with. It will give you the headroom down the line to slap on most of these other mods without worrying about if the engine can handle it. I'm sure Hussain @ Racebox can also do some terrifying stuff with it and the dropbear turbos.
  2. After those, I am tied for built trans and lower downpipes/exhaust. Honestly surprised you didn't have the LDP/CBE yet. However at the power levels you are approaching, you are already at the customary 500hp line everyone says the VR30 7AT is considered reliableto. I'd do one of these
    • NOTE: This is about where your budget seems to run out - and that's why I said my approach was boring. No doubt Hussain would be able to do something cool with a built block/trans, but I think if you start here, then your build will be insanely capable once you start bolting on the fast stuff
  3. After these, I would go upgraded turbos, though I would probably do it all at once since you'll have to drop the subframe anyways. Racebox seems to be pretty experienced with these on B&Cs kits since they collaborate with B&C a good bit.
  4. I am very interested to see the logs with that interchiller. I don't think we have anyone on the forum who runs one (to my knowledge) and on paper they provide the best possible CAT. Combined with the Mishimoto ICs, that would put you in a great place.
  5. I don't know if you need a driveshaft yet since you have AWD. Not too sure I've seen any driveshaft failures here, but I guess you're also in a different realm from the most of us. I assume you want to do this together with the LSD for ease of install though.
  6. Honestly I would ask your tuner about where the E85 stuff should fall on your list. I know ethanol is very helpful for this platform on stock turbos, but I have no familiarity with this platform when it's completely built and has aftermarket turbos.
May I also make a suggestion? The Syveks AWD controller has helped many shave time off their 60ft, and I think you might have very good luck with it. At the power levels you will be making, you will probably need this and a rear LSD to hook well since the stock AWD controller will start trying to go RWD once you're rolling.

EDIT: If you want more power now, I would say do LDP/CBE, Interchiller, LSD - then upgrade the rest.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,149 Posts

Built trans (~$6000)

Anyone want to vote?

Sell the Q and put all that money into a GT-R.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Sell the Q and put all that money into a GT-R.
I thought about this too. But everyone and their dog has a 1000+ hp GTR. I enjoy breaking molds. 😊

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Since the big stuff is just going to sit for a while, I’d probably buy one big thing and two little things. Like maybe the block and the LSD and drive shaft, for example. That way you have a big ticket item ready and smaller mods to keep you busy in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Since the big stuff is just going to sit for a while, I’d probably buy one big thing and two little things. Like maybe the block and the LSD and drive shaft, for example. That way you have a big ticket item ready and smaller mods to keep you busy in the mean time.
I'm mostly with you, but I would honestly wait to install any of the big stuff until you have all 3 of the big things. That way you don't have to disassemble your car three times. I think built motor/built trans/turbo kit should happen at once.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I thought about this too. But everyone and their dog has a 1000+ hp GTR. I enjoy breaking molds. 😊
Huge fan of this. I love the GT-R but everytime you see a GT-R with mods, you know it's going to be fast.

It's much more exciting to see a 4 door sedan modded to high hell beating a supercar than it is to see some supercar beat another supercar.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm mostly with you, but I would honestly wait to install any of the big stuff until you have all 3 of the big things. That way you don't have to disassemble your car three times. I think built motor/built trans/turbo kit should happen at once.
I totally agree. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, but that’s exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think that I am going to hold off for today (I had all of this stuff sitting in my cart - one click away from bad financial decisions! lol) and save as much as I can between now and the end of the month and re-assess. I forgot that I had already paid some other stuff off recently so hopefully I have been conservative in my savings estimate. 🤞🏽

I'm leaning towards buying the interchiller/intercoolers and block. And after sitting in gridlock for 2 hours yesterday while staring at various temp readings in my Ecutek dashboard, a vented carbon fiber hood.

On a side note, the wife has gotten back to me with what she wants.

It is linked here: FML

It's her 40th b-day in a month. Plus, when a block shows up unannounced, my reply to her apoplectic rage will be to simply point to the garage lol.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,149 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I think that I am going to hold off for today (I had all of this stuff sitting in my cart - one click away from bad financial decisions! lol) and save as much as I can between now and the end of the month and re-assess. I forgot that I had already paid some other stuff off recently so hopefully I have been conservative in my savings estimate. 🤞🏽

I'm leaning towards buying the interchiller/intercoolers and block. And after sitting in gridlock for 2 hours yesterday while staring at various temp readings in my Ecutek dashboard, a vented carbon fiber hood.

It's her 40th b-day in a month. Plus, when a block shows up unannounced, my reply to her apoplectic rage will be to simply point to the garage lol.
All I got from my wife for my last birthday was a pack of socks.

Reactions: BlaQBetty

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

I told you it was a trap! Roflmao

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Reactions: BlaQBetty