Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Huge fan of this. I love the GT-R but everytime you see a GT-R with mods, you know it's going to be fast.

It's much more exciting to see a 4 door sedan modded to high hell beating a supercar than it is to see some supercar beat another supercar.
That's part of the reason why I don't have an exhaust yet. I'm not trying to call attention to myself before I can back it up.

That and the turbo kit will have me redoing the exhaust anyway cuz I can seem to find a 3 inch exhaust lower downpipe combo that I like the sound of these turbos with.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
On a side note, the wife has gotten back to me with what she wants.

It is linked here: FML
I refuse to spend that much money on a turbo 4.
That's part of the reason why I don't have an exhaust yet. I'm not trying to call attention to myself before I can back it up.

That and the turbo kit will have me redoing the exhaust anyway cuz I can seem to find a 3 inch exhaust lower downpipe combo that I like the sound of these turbos with.
What if you left the stock exhaust and added an electronic exhaust dump right off the downpipe? I could sell you one of my TCU modules that can output a 12v signal when you're in Sport mode.

That way it's dead quiet until you flick the drive mode switch, and then the valves open giving you the increased performance. Only caveat would be finding someone to fab it.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Ordered fi interchiller w stage 2 upgrade. Thanks for the discount code @ZillaFullBoost!

Also ordered mishimoto intercoolers, mishimoto hoses, and a mishimoto catch can today.

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I refuse to spend that much money on a turbo 4.

What if you left the stock exhaust and added an electronic exhaust dump right off the downpipe? I could sell you one of my TCU modules that can output a 12v signal when you're in Sport mode.

That way it's dead quiet until you flick the drive mode switch, and then the valves open giving you the increased performance. Only caveat would be finding someone to fab it.
That's a thought. But I would still have two screens, right?

Awesome work on that project, btw!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I really need to go through that thread again.

And someone to barney-style explain it to me 🤣

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I really need to go through that thread again.

And someone to barney-style explain it to me 🤣
The TCU is a module in the AV deck that controls power to the AV system, controls the SOS button, and provides remote monitoring and start/stop/lock/unlock/panic via cellular. Unfortunately, Infiniti killed off all of this functionality for 2020 and earlier model years by equipping them with 3G networking equipment that is now defunct.

My TCU module uses a microcontroller with Bluetooth/WiFi/Cellular connection to restore this functionality (except SOS button). Being on the CAN bus, it also has access to data on the CAN bus - meaning it can data log, expand stock functionality (open exhaust in sport mode), and more. It also allows you to remap the SOS button + LED to another function (I will be using it to enable/disable AWD with the Syveks AWD module instead of using the hazards). You can also control radio power (I will keep the radio on until the door is opened)

If you want to keep the Tesla screen, you can absolutely leave the stock infotainment system and replace the TCU. In fact, you will be able to open the TCU web interface to see and control the TCU functionality without a phone.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The TCU is a module in the AV deck that controls power to the AV system, controls the SOS button, and provides remote monitoring and start/stop/lock/unlock/panic via cellular. Unfortunately, Infiniti killed off all of this functionality for 2020 and earlier model years by equipping them with 3G networking equipment that is now defunct.

My TCU module uses a microcontroller with Bluetooth/WiFi/Cellular connection to restore this functionality (except SOS button). Being on the CAN bus, it also has access to data on the CAN bus - meaning it can data log, expand stock functionality (open exhaust in sport mode), and more. It also allows you to remap the SOS button + LED to another function (I will be using it to enable/disable AWD with the Syveks AWD module instead of using the hazards). You can also control radio power (I will keep the radio on until the door is opened)

If you want to keep the Tesla screen, you can absolutely leave the stock infotainment system and replace the TCU. In fact, you will be able to open the TCU web interface to see and control the TCU functionality without a phone.
Face Nose Smile Eyebrow Jaw

Ok, that’s way more comprehensive than I thought! I’m curious Is there an adjustable GUI? For example, could I set up boost gauges, oil temp, oil pressure, voltmeter gauges ect anywhere on the screen and can I make them look like the speedometer and tachometer gauges? Can I change the boot graphic?

or is this a sneaky upgrade that no one knows is there as it quietly schemes to take over the world?

• Haha
Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
View attachment 110833
Ok, that’s way more comprehensive than I thought! I’m curious Is there an adjustable GUI? For example, could I set up boost gauges, oil temp, oil pressure, voltmeter gauges ect anywhere on the screen and can I make them look like the speedometer and tachometer gauges? Can I change the boot graphic?

or is this a sneaky upgrade that no one knows is there as it quietly schemes to take over the world?
Well, I haven't gotten that far yet. Still finalizing the hardware. But that's completely within the hardware capabilities.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Well, I haven't gotten that far yet. Still finalizing the hardware. But that's completely within the hardware capabilities.
Nice!! Now I’m getting excited too! Lol and you said a Tesla style doesn’t replace the TCU?

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Nice!! Now I’m getting excited too! Lol and you said a Tesla style doesn’t replace the TCU?
It always replaces the TCU, but the TCU does not affect the Tesla screen operation at all.

EDIT: My custom TCU module**. The Tesla screen preserves the stick audio system so nothing changes.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Sorry for not posting for a while. Updates coming soon!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Mishimoto intercoolers finally shipped! Also ordered my first engine part that showed up today: upper and lower intake manifolds.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Betty got some attention this weekend since I was finally able to reclaim my garage back from the floor to ceiling pile of crap that has been taking up all but a walking path of space while the wife decided to purge our house of basically everything.

2 days of strip washing, clay barring, some minor paint corrections, polishing, glazing, sealing, and waxing.

I'm tired now. Have a great week everyone!

81 - 94 of 94 Posts