Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 2018 Q50 Luxe 3.0t. Before taking it I noticed that the plastic of the instrument cluster was dirty with water marks and mentioned it to my sales guy. After all was done he stated his detail guys could not remove it since it's in the inside.

Has anyone had this problem and how would I be able to clean this if it is on the inside?
I've tried googling this and youtube but came up short.

Any help is really appreciated!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I recently bought a used 2018 Q50 Luxe 3.0t. Before taking it I noticed that the plastic of the instrument cluster was dirty with water marks and mentioned it to my sales guy...
When I hear "instrument cluster was dirty with water marks" - I'm thinking flood car... just sayin'.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vehicle came with a clean carfax, I'm thinking this is either armorall stains or someone spill their drink into the dash and some how did make it to the inside.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Hmmm that looks like it's on the back-side.

Armor-all does leave streaks but that looks like it's behind the glass, as above said possibly flood (double check your VIN matches with carfax) or perhaps
someone left the sunroof open during a storm and didn't report it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm that looks like it's on the back-side.

Armor-all does leave streaks but that looks like it's behind the glass, as above said possibly flood (double check your VIN matches with carfax) or perhaps
someone left the sunroof open during a storm and didn't report it.
Where Can I have a VIN checked? any ideas?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone disassembled this cluster. Thinking I might have need to in order to clean it. So the car was previously owned in Arizona so I hope that discards the flood possibility and only leaves me with the possibility that they left the sunroof open while it was raining.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
That's pretty ominous looking. One can see the droplet streaks running down the inside of the clear plastic panel. Cleaning it is the least of your worries. Who knows what else you can't see has been affected by the water infiltration. I can't believe a dealership would sell a car like this without fixing it first.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Are the vin checks free through carfax? I have located the vin and I'll check the paper work that I was provided once I'm home. Just thinking if there is a site that provides one for free or a recommended site to check the vin.
They provide some basic information (if I recall correctly) but previous accidents or damage is not included, you would need to pay for that. But that car-fax should have been
provided for free by the dealership either by a written copy or email.

So just check it out when you get home.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Has anyone disassembled this cluster. Thinking I might have need to in order to clean it. So the car was previously owned in Arizona so I hope that discards the flood possibility and only leaves me with the possibility that they left the sunroof open while it was raining.
There are some areas of Arizona that are quite prone to flash floods. Not at all unusual.

What is odd is that if it was indeed a flood I might expect a different pattern than drops. It is surely a mystery.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Don't cheap out. Buy whatever carfax or car title checking you can. I don't like the look of those pics and could mean that there is more damage hiding elsewhere.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I wouldn't touch that car. Not with thousands available.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
The more I look at those pictures, the stranger this is. The droplet marks are so small I suspect condensation due to excess moisture inside the panel. I would be concerned about electrical connectors corroding due to the moisture. Even if the title doesn't indicate salvage or flood damage and the Carfax is clear, that doesn't mean there's been no moisture intrusion.

I assume there is no musty smell in the car? Have you checked under the hood to see if there is any indication of water and debris in the nooks and crannies. The trunk? Looking under the seats, are the springs rusty? The carpet? Have you checked the oil dipstick for signs of water? Have you checked the paper air filters for signs of water spotting? The paper won't look the same once it gets wet. Do any of the light fixtures show signs of fogging? Are there any tiny drill holes in the fixtures that may have been added to drain flood water? How about the speakers? Paper speaker cones don't like water and will sound distorted if exposed to water.

It's a little late for you to walk away since you bought the car. I would try to get the dealership to state in writing that the car has not been damaged by flooding. I'm not sure how the warranty is affected by a car receiving flood damage but I imagine there are weasel words in it to exempt Infiniti from warrantying a flood-damaged car.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Are we 100 percent certain it is on the back side of the clear lens? Just because the dealer's detail guy couldn't get it off doesn't mean it's on the back side.

I sprayed something (this many years later I can't remember what it was) on the dash of my Mustang and it discolored/damaged/stained the clear instrument lens...looked very similar to this as it was sprayed on with a pump bottle.

I had to disassemble the dash to remove the lens and was able to salvage it with Novus plastic polish. I would try something like this that is safe for clear plastic and see if it removes what you are seeing before jumping to conclusions that the car has water damage and this seems to be the only thing you can find to substantiate that.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I'd like to think a detailer could tell which side of the plastic lens is coated. Simple solution is to apply a product like Novus on a tiny area and see if a spot can can be removed before going after the whole lens. Hopefully it is that simple. It does look like a fine spray hit it and wasn't wiped off.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I'd like to think a detailer could tell which side of the plastic lens is coated.
Don't be so generous there with your assumptions. There are less than competent people in every profession. I meet some of them just about every day. ****, I work with some of them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts