Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo, I’m have a crazy thought (as usual) about designing and prototyping a dressier intake plenum. I doubt anything I design would increase power, and probably not throttle response. So it would likely just be a polished show piece. But in researching, I have yet to be able to figure out the most basic spec; how much pressure is the OEM intake manifold designed to be able to handle? What’s the highest amount of boost you guys know of that’s being crammed into the manifold? Can any of our engineers here help me figure out what kind of wall thickness I’d need? I’m thinking of 3D printing with Selective Laser Melting out of aluminum. But I would hate to invest the time and money just a blow a hole in it at WOT.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Not sure how much time and money you'd like to put into it but Dropbear is making one for under 2k.

Pre-Order DropBear VR30 Port Injection Manifold (Build Your Own Option)
Dropbear llc
$1,795.00

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Honestly unless your going paper thin I don't see how anything made of metal would be weaker than the resin/plastic they use for
modern intake manifolds. My concern would be restricting airflow due to poor design or turbulence.

I'd be looking to see if there's a shop that can perform a 3D scan of the OEM unit and then just mill something out of aluminum
and just going with that.

My 2 cents on the matter anyhow.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
theyre plan on releasing it? Ive been waiting for their turbo kit for 2 years now
Thought it was a build to order. IDK about the turbo kit but I'd get Pure if I've been waiting that long already.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure how much time and money you'd like to put into it but Dropbear is making one for under 2k.

Pre-Order DropBear VR30 Port Injection Manifold (Build Your Own Option)
Dropbear llc
$1,795.00
I don’t have Facebook, so I’ll have to search for a drop bear website. Good to know there is interest in this, so maybe something other a one off will be made.
Honestly unless your going paper thin I don't see how anything made of metal would be weaker than the resin/plastic they use for
modern intake manifolds. My concern would be restricting airflow due to poor design or turbulence.

I'd be looking to see if there's a shop that can perform a 3D scan of the OEM unit and then just mill something out of aluminum
and just going with that.

My 2 cents on the matter anyhow.
Plastics have come a really really long ways. If I was going to rip off the OEM design, I’d just paint what I have lol. No, I wanted to monkey with it in CAD and see what I can do to get some engine bay candy.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,031 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha! I noticed that too...but considering the Z platform adopting the vr30, I bet we're going to see more and more aftermarket parts available soon.
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
People put 25 to 30 psi through standard composite intakes all the time. Should be good for that on this platform.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts