Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a trip and the intelligent cruise control seemed to be acting up. It felt like someone who drives by taking their foot on and off the gas to accelerate, not accelerating smoothly, if that makes sense, while it should've been holding a constant speed. I could also see the tach "wobbling."

I turned the driver assist options on and off, and that made no difference. If I put my foot on the gas or if the cruise was accelerating itself because a slower vehicle in front of me moved, it was fine. It was just when at a constant speed.

I have been on a couple trips since getting the car and haven't noticed this before. It was almost enough to make you car sick eventually, so I turned it off (I also couldn't figure out how to engage just normal cruise control and my wife couldn't find it in the manual--I think I recall seeing that somewhere before.)

Has anyone else experienced this? Looks like I will be calling the dealer Monday. All these issues are getting a bit tiresome. I love the car, but there are just a lot of annoying little issues that I haven't had with a new car in more than a decade, getting a new car every 2 years....and before anyone says it, several of them were first model years.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
To engage the regular cruise control, press and hold the cruise control button for longer than 1.5 seconds. See Section 5-76 in the manual for complete explanation.

For the other problem, definitely see your dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
How many bars distance did you have for ICC? one, two or three... further (3 bars) from car in front, the ICC will adjust speed slowly...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried with all 3 distance settings. Same performance. I did finally get the regular cruise control to engage. I wasn't going far enough on that trip to see if it exhibited the same jerkiness but it seemed like it may have been. Will check it out tomorrow--if regular cruise will come on. Was doing the same thing earlier and it wouldn't engage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same issue on our first long distance trek yesterday. I felt the constant lunging forward, and visually what I noticed most was our mileage meter bouncing up and down. This was all happening with an open road in front of us using the ICC and all sensors on. I did not try using regular cc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Me too, we drive home in the morning so will report back when we return

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just got back from a trip and the intelligent cruise control seemed to be acting up. It felt like someone who drives by taking their foot on and off the gas to accelerate, not accelerating smoothly, if that makes sense, while it should've been holding a constant speed. I could also see the tach "wobbling."

I turned the driver assist options on and off, and that made no difference. If I put my foot on the gas or if the cruise was accelerating itself because a slower vehicle in front of me moved, it was fine. It was just when at a constant speed.

I have been on a couple trips since getting the car and haven't noticed this before. It was almost enough to make you car sick eventually, so I turned it off (I also couldn't figure out how to engage just normal cruise control and my wife couldn't find it in the manual--I think I recall seeing that somewhere before.)

Has anyone else experienced this? Looks like I will be calling the dealer Monday. All these issues are getting a bit tiresome. I love the car, but there are just a lot of annoying little issues that I haven't had with a new car in more than a decade, getting a new car every 2 years....and before anyone says it, several of them were first model years.
Mike:

Active cruise is no substitute for a human with more advanced prediction of speeds, evasion options, and illogical actions of other drivers. Most every vehicle I've had with it is jerky, quick to react and quick to accelerate back to speed. The longer distance setting vs shorter distance may help but not much.

I've had Audi's, seen Benzs and had the Infiniti to contrast. On open roads Dynamic Cruise is great. With less than very light traffic it's nerve-racking. What you've described so far sounds pretty close to normal and mirrors my experience with my Audi and Infiniti. Perhaps you can post a video.

Given the jabs the brakes have with the forward collision intervention where little risk is probable I fully expect the same behavior in the active cruise function.

Please post what the Dealer reports.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The jerkiness I was experiencing was happening on open road as well as with vehicles registering ahead, even if they weren't traveling at a speed that required the car to slow down. In fact, I didn't really feel it when decelerating or accelerating. It was only when it should've been at constant speed and was as if it was on throttle/off throttle ever so slightly ever second. It was definitely not a braking function because as someone else pointed out the MPG meter was bouncing up and down along with the jerking.

This is not normal. If it is "normal," whoever designed this should find new work. However, since I drove the car to on a 4 hour each way trip shortly after getting it at the beginning of September and used intelligent cruise basically the whole way and didn't experience this, and have used it on shorter trips since without noticing it as well, I think something is just wrong.

Unfortunately have had a lot of somethings wrong in just 1,800 miles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And, actually, there's no good reason why when not decelerating or accelerating the system should not perform identically to traditional cruise control when at a constant speed. That should be what it is, except accepting inputs from the radar system to maintain the set distance. Unless someone suddenly pulls in front of you, it seems the system maintains distance by throttle adjustments not braking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok, just got back from a 1,200 mile round trip up to Panama City and back. Same issue I had on our way up persisted on our way back. I tinkered with the settings on open hwy as well as in traffic and didn't really see any difference. I tried ICC with the sensors on and off using 1, 2, and 3 bars - no change. It was slightly better with traditional CC with the active sensors off, but not by much. It still feels like I'm lightly pressing and depressing the throttle repeatedly to maintain speed. And when I have the mileage meter up in my center display, the meter jumps up and down coinciding with the feeling described in the last sentence.

I'd be interested to get some feedback/input from some of the senior members who always have good insight.

Oh, I also noticed that the behavior we're talking about seems to be more noticeable when in ECO mode vs. standard

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just got back from a trip and the intelligent cruise control seemed to be acting up.

I love the car, but there are just a lot of annoying little issues that I haven't had with a new car in more than a decade, getting a new car every 2 years....and before anyone says it, several of them were first model years.
I am very curious to see what your dealer says about this. I would not be surprised if they were already working on a fix, but any updates here undergoes rigorous testing before they are released.

The list of things that will cause the system to stop working is quite extensive, if it detects something wrong it will stop. I bet a software update comes out at some point to resolve this.

I kid you not, this morning the guy that works in the next bay over from me had the exact same complaint of iOS 7 (today's most current version) on his iPhone5. He is having serious stability issues with several of his most frequently used apps...and made the exact same reference to his older devices.

It is true there will be several updates on various systems, especially if you picked up an early production Q. They are being very aggressive with bug fixes on this model and you should expect a few updates over the next several months. It seems like it is becoming more and more a way of life with our devices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Regular CC in my '08 isn't always smooth

In my '08 G35, on gradual downhill stretches, the CC will get on and off the throttle to maintain speed and it isn't very smooth doing it. I would say Infiniti CC isn't the smoothest, generally speaking. But mine is fine on level or uphill stretches when it can stay on the throttle.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was doing it consistently regardless of the grade of the road, which was mostly flat. I spoke to Consumer Affairs yesterday and they claimed not to have heard of this issue before. I would've been glad to work out a deal with them to test their car and software, but paying top dollar to do it is getting a little old! I hope they get all this worked out quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the same issues. drove my car from tx to nc and back. only noticed it at around 80mph and then it was only noticeable about 75% of the time. sometimes it was not noticeable. it was annoying, though. i bought this car thinking it would be one of the best cars to travel in but with this surging cruise control it appears to be just the opposite. i took it to a dealership in apex, nc. i specifically told them it was noticeable around 80mph. when i returned to pick it up they said they could not duplicate the problem. i asked them at what speed they tested it at and they said 70-75 mph due to local highway speed limits. so, i asked for a mechanic to go with me on a test drive and i would show him myself. my car demonstrated its peculiar behavior. we test drove another similar model they had and it did the same thing. the dealership was trying to get in contact with their tech advisors to address the issue and that is where we left it. i will post their response when i get it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have had no luck with this--or pretty much anything else. Infiniti has someone coming in 1/16 to meet with me and check out my car. I have a long list of problems. This one is right up there. Between this--and the steering having the car bounce off lanes when driver aids are on (and sometimes randomly pull left or right with them off) highway driving is a real adventure.

This car is a major disappointment. If I had just nav that worked (no InTouch), no DAS, no driver aids, no rain sensing wipers (they also don't work properly), no ICC, and keyless start that worked (randomly it says the key is wrong and won't start), and iPod voice commands that worked properly I would really enjoy this car. Oh wait. I just described my 2012 TL SH-AWD that I traded in for the Q. Guess I could have saved a lot of money and kept it!

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I haven't been on this forum for about a month due to a very busy holiday season and family in town for most of it. With that said, having family in town I've driven my Q50 more in the past couple of weeks consistently than I have at any other point since I purchased it in August. Unfortunately this means that I've been privy to many issues that others have experienced, including (but not limited to) DAS errors (and telling me to check the manual), tons of InTouch issues, iPhone no longer showing texts via InTouch, my windshield wipers having a mind of their own in high speed when the windshield is completely dry (and I've cleaned off the sensor), MPG tracker resetting to zero without a manual reset (while driving out of a car wash) and the annoying constant accelerating/decelerating while on ICC. I've actually had this issue every time I've used ICC on the freeway since August and it is a truly annoying and frustrating "tick".

I guess I'll be making a list of issues and making yet another appointment with my dealer!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I haven't been on this forum for about a month due to a very busy holiday season and family in town for most of it. With that said, having family in town I've driven my Q50 more in the past couple of weeks consistently than I have at any other point since I purchased it in August. Unfortunately this means that I've been privy to many issues that others have experienced, including (but not limited to) DAS errors (and telling me to check the manual), tons of InTouch issues, iPhone no longer showing texts via InTouch, my windshield wipers having a mind of their own in high speed when the windshield is completely dry (and I've cleaned off the sensor), MPG tracker resetting to zero without a manual reset (while driving out of a car wash) and the annoying constant accelerating/decelerating while on ICC. I've actually had this issue every time I've used ICC on the freeway since August and it is a truly annoying and frustrating "tick".

I guess I'll be making a list of issues and making yet another appointment with my dealer!

Infiniti seriously took their reputation from being one of the most solid car builders.....to being one that has a ton of problems on their supposed bread and butter car.

It becomes clearer and clearer every single day that this Q50 car was completely rushed, and it will be the demise of Infiniti's once solid reputation.

My heart goes out to all the guinea pig beta tester's you folks have in your driveways.....I sure as **** would not have the patience to be dealing with a pre-production unfinished product.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.