Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Interior ambient lighting?

80K views 77 replies 32 participants last post by  jodedor 
#1 ·
Hello again everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has a Q50 with interior ambient lighting?

Also, how does it look in the evening and what color is the lighting?

Lastly, do you think it would be easy to replace with a different colored light?

Still waiting on my black q50 hybrid sport!

#2 ·
I got the ambient lighting. It's cool at night but it has to be totally dark out to see it as its subtle. The color is a warm white I would say. The bulbs are exposed so you can probably swap them out. I use to have an Acura TL where I swapped all the interior overhead and door lights to blue LEDs to match the odometer light color. I got lots of compliments. Maybe purple foot well lights?

#3 ·
I have Interior and Welcome Lighting Options

I agree with Anthony...the lighting is a subtle white light that bathes the feet of the driver and front passenger. Its a pretty cool effect against the sport pedals in the S models. The Welcome lighting kit illuminates the undercarriage of the car. Its a cool affect for locating your car in a dark parking lot. I'm planning to switch out the rear interior lights and the license plate lights with cleaner looking (IMO) white bulbs.

#4 · (Edited)
IMO, the ambient lighting add-in is kind of a rip. It is an extra $240 and in ONLY lights up the foot-wells? Infiniti should just throw it in for what it does as something you can have on or off.

Ford does a lot better job with it. For example, in the Lincoln MKZ Ambient Lighting is a standard feature starting on the second lowest package and it is WAY better. It is not only in the foot wells, but it is also along the front & rear door trim, center console, and even inside the center console cup holder (kind of makes your water bottle glow). Plus it is programmable to one of 7-8 colors from the main touch screen vs. just the white color only. And it is dimmable too.

#5 ·
IMO, the ambient lighting add-in is kind of a rip. It is an extra $240 and in ONLY lights up the foot-wells? Infiniti should just throw it in for what it does as something you can have on or off.

Ford does a lot better job with it. For example, in the Lincoln MKZ Ambient Lighting is a standard feature starting on the second lowest package and it is WAY better. It is not only in the foot wells, but it is also along the front & rear door trim, center console, and even inside the center console cup holder (kind of makes your water bottom glow). Plus it is programmable to one of 7-8 colors from the main touch screen vs. just the white color only. And it is dimmable too.
I agree about the ambient lighting - it is kinda weak. My company's fleet issue Ford Explorer has the Ford version of ambient lighting, and you're right... the lighting is more comprehensive. It was a port-installed option on my Q50 so it wasn't a big deal, but had I been able to give it a 'once over' before my purchase, I probably would have given the option a pass and put that money towards my ceramic tint.

#6 ·
Yea I had a 2013 Ford Taurus Limited rental car this past weekend and I was really impressed by the interior setup; also rented a 2013 Fusion a few weeks ago as well for the interior attractiveness. Ford has definitely come a long way in their Sync system. Anyway, I snapped some photos of the ambient lighting (and aforementioned change ability) to reflect user "mood". THIS is the way ambient lighting should be; incredibly disappointing that Infiniti has taken the lazy route in the Q50 ambient lighting package. :(
Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Vehicle audio
Light Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Auto part
Light Electronics Technology Games Electronic device

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
THIS is the way ambient lighting should be; incredibly disappointing that Infiniti has taken the lazy route in the Q50 ambient lighting package.
Agreed! They could have put a little more effort into it and made it more like Ford/Lincoln's and it would have been worth the $240 add-on.

From your pics here of the "bubble" screen/controller for the ambient lighting, there's at least on more color in the MKZ - a gray/clear color bubble that makes the lighting clear/white.

My 6yr-old daughter LOVED that screen on the My Lincoln Touch system. She called it "the disco" when we were testing the car (along with the sound system of course). :D

Reactions: chicagokevo
#7 ·
My friend has a ford explorer that does that! I guess we will just have to change the bulbs out to change the color (whack)!

Does anyone have pics of their ambient lighting at night?

Reactions: chicagokevo
#12 ·
Ford/Lincoln has prided themselves on their ambient interior lighting for years now, having being able to customize the colors and having them spread between the back row and the doors as well.

I agree with everyone else on the lighting. It's cool but it's nothing amazing. I could do without them but they do look nice. It's a soft white color with a small hint of blue too.

Here's photos of mine:

#13 ·
How hard would it be to move the ambient lighting out of my '14 and into my '15?

-Matt

#15 ·
Anyone know how hard to swap these between cars??

-Matt

#28 ·
#29 ·
Reactions: GHOZT
#32 ·
I really wouldn't mix and match accessories that aren't specific for your year as your wiring harness may differ from that of a 2017 model. Evidence being, 2014 - 2015 illuminated kickplates require the accessory connector where as the 2016 - 2017 don't and there's a plug where it snaps in for power, simple and easy. So please be very very cautious before doing this. It may end up costing you a lot more trouble than it may be worth. Read the instructions first from the link I posted and compare it to you setup before ordering and drilling holes and etc.

#33 ·
I don't think the newer kit will be plug and play, so it may not be worth the trouble. Looks like harnesses and wiring is different between the different year models.

Does anyone have pics of the lighting installed on their 2014? Some pictures make it look blueish purple, if that's the case, I may ditch the interior lighting completely and stick with the welcome lighting only.

#36 ·
Yea I was wondering exactly. These kits aren't plug and play, for the newer models only the kickplates were plug and play. The dealer did my welcome lighting which has a standard part number for all Q50 years but there was a lot of wiring done and I feel the 2017 ambient lighting will be more so that $480 quote is reasonable but I would make sure they are away that you have a 2014. Last thing you want is them getting half way through the install and realizing your car doesn't have applicable wires and etc.

#40 ·
Anytime there is an Accessory Service Connector involved, you bet there will be plenty of splicing

#42 ·
I felt the same way lol, let us know if you find anything different! I guess it's a misprint on Infiniti's parts website because it says the new lighting kit is compatible with 2014-2017 Q50 and the new Q60 coupe. It'd be much nicer to have the newer kit, especially because you can control the brightness of the LEDs as well as on/off.

#43 ·
So I talked to the parts guy from DiscountInfinitiParts.com and he said that the newer kit should wire up to the 2014 as long as the right service connector is used. He also showed me how on the Infiniti Parts website the new kit shows compatible with 2014-2017 Q50 as well as Q60.

However, my dealer keeps insisting that it's not listed in their catalog so it won't work. Maybe they're just not aware it's possibly backwards compatible and just going by the book and not digging deeper into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.