Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Is that image from an official Infiniti service guide of some sort? Link to such a guide would be appreciated so I can approach service with something official.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mine is stretched further than yours is showing. I'm also getting the high pitched squeal above 3000 RPM under load. I'll bring in the car soon to get it addressed. I could change the belt myself, but I assume that it would be covered under warranty....

I'm sure most dealership would address it and cover under warranty as long as the tech can confirm the squealing noise.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would this issue still be covered under warranty if you had a JB4 or EcuTek tune? Since there is a TSB? Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Would this issue still be covered under warranty if you had a JB4 or EcuTek tune? Since there is a TSB? Thanks all.
Pull the JB4 before going to the dealership. If you have an ECUtek tune, nothing you can do unless you can flash the stock map back in and hope they dont go digging.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mine is stretched further than yours is showing. I'm also getting the high pitched squeal above 3000 RPM under load. I'll bring in the car soon to get it addressed. I could change the belt myself, but I assume that it would be covered under warranty....
Just an update from my post above. I had my car in today to have the belt and the noise checked out. Basically, they found no issues and confirmed that what I'm hearing is a bit of compressor whine (from the turbos) above 3k RPM. They were pretty thorough with the car and they also compared it to another "known good Q50" to confirm the noise is similar to that one.

These belt posts and concerns have basically made me paranoid, but I'm glad I brought it in.

I listened to Boost in Motion's video and I had a hard time hearing the belt squeal that everyone refers to. Its hard to hear over the noise of the engine. That is why I figured I'd bring mine in just in case.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
334 Posts
My dealership is quite good and friendly with the mods I have done; I have had my alternator and a water pump replaced under warranty (before 6000 miles) with EcuTek tune (I had to flash to stock while it was being serviced for them to utilize Nissan CONSULT for their work) and all of the AMS goodies (at the time).

When we had the initial thought that my ECM needed to be replaced, they could not cover that under warranty because of the EcuTek tune that had occurred (turned out to be an EcuTek software bug in the end).

Just today I had them inspect my belt (9800 miles) while performing an oil change, and they found that it just hit the threshold and needs to be realigned. This will be covered under warranty due to the TSB, despite the mods because none of the mods could have caused this.

Interestingly, they mentioned that the other two 2017 Q60s they had sold were in within the last two weeks for this TSB ...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just an update from my post above. I had my car in today to have the belt and the noise checked out. Basically, they found no issues and confirmed that what I'm hearing is a bit of compressor whine (from the turbos) above 3k RPM. They were pretty thorough with the car and they also compared it to another "known good Q50" to confirm the noise is similar to that one.

These belt posts and concerns have basically made me paranoid, but I'm glad I brought it in.

I listened to Boost in Motion's video and I had a hard time hearing the belt squeal that everyone refers to. Its hard to hear over the noise of the engine. That is why I figured I'd bring mine in just in case.
Thank you for this update. I am experiencing the same issue on my modded 2016 Q50. I'm glad to hear that it is part of normal operations. I am also constantly concerned about my belt although it has been replaced already at about 7500 miles and the ac compressor realigned. Has there been any issues after these adjustments have been made for future belt problems or the issue reoccurring after it was fixed previously? I have about an additional 15,000 miles on the car since the "fix" was done. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My dealership is quite good and friendly with the mods I have done; I have had my alternator and a water pump replaced under warranty (before 6000 miles) with EcuTek tune (I had to flash to stock while it was being serviced for them to utilize Nissan CONSULT for their work) and all of the AMS goodies (at the time).

When we had the initial thought that my ECM needed to be replaced, they could not cover that under warranty because of the EcuTek tune that had occurred (turned out to be an EcuTek software bug in the end).

Just today I had them inspect my belt (9800 miles) while performing an oil change, and they found that it just hit the threshold and needs to be realigned. This will be covered under warranty due to the TSB, despite the mods because none of the mods could have caused this.

Interestingly, they mentioned that the other two 2017 Q60s they had sold were in within the last two weeks for this TSB ...
Thank you for this as well this makes me less concerned about bringing the car in with a tune for repairs if needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had this issue with a squeal under acceleration from around 2-4K RPM the squeak lasted about 2 seconds. I just took it into the dealer and it turned out to be the water pump. It was leaking coolant onto the belt, so both parts were damaged and are being replaced. The belt was also slightly misaligned. For anyone with this issue consider getting the water pump checked out because I didn’t even think to look at that or get it checked out. My car is a ‘17 Q50 Premium with 35K miles. its pretty new to me, only had it for some months so I’m not too familiar with maintenance and stuff but hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the complaint I just submitted to the NHTSA website. Sounds like a similar issue to what I’ve experienced.
On 6/13/2020 the drive belt shredded while driving under 30mph, under light acceleration. At first, the battery light illuminated on the instrument cluster, followed the check engine light. White smoke began to come from the engine. Thankfully, I was nearby my house and made it there safely.
Furthermore, the engine overheated due to a coolant hose being knocked off by the shredded belt. Additionally, the water pump and A/C compressor failed. The pulley tensioner assembly and belt were replaced under manufacturer’s warranty, along with the aforementioned failed components. All work was done at Grubbs INFINITI of Grapevine, TX and the repair took exactly three weeks to fix. The failure mileage was 28,660.

Previously, on March 6, 2019, INFINITI of Van Nuys, CA, tightened the pulley tensioner assembly due to a squeaking noise I was hearing while accelerating. Vehicle mileage was approximately 10,000. I was informed that if I hadn’t had this issue fixed before my drive back to Texas, my drive belt could have shredded. After the dealer addressed the concern no further noise was heard at all. The dealer also informed me that this issue is known and has been documented in INFINITI service bulletins. Although, this poses a major safety concern as the vehicle could have stalled at high speed resulting in an accident and or loss of life. I worry this issue will happen again. Two times, two many!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts