Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the new Infinti USA web site update... Most InTouch Apps have an Asterisk indicating "Late Availability", while all fall under a category of "Available Fall 2013". There is also a double Asterisk which is not defined.

I suspect the "Fall 2013" may be the late availability.

·
Registered
171 Posts
im not getting too excited over these apps....so far they've only discussed a handful (facebook, pandora, iheartradio).......and since theres no SDK...i dont feel like infiniti will be churning out many apps any time soon....HUGE disappointment.

At the same time, they're going to make plenty of people angry with this "late availability". People are going to get their new cars, all excited to show it off to their friends....want to show them all the cool features that it can do.....and oh look....it doesnt exist yet. Hopefully that friend doesnt have a Ford....because then he'll just laugh at you

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hopefully that friend doesnt have a Ford....because then he'll just laugh at you
Last time I saw SYNC on Ford Taurus it had small ugly screen. Does not matter how many apps you have there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
sure some people will say apps are pointless in a car. but if done correctly...there could be some really nifty ones

you can do one that finds cheap gas near you
you can do one that finds your friends and will direct you to their current location
or one that lets you know if someone you know is driving near you

theres tons of ideas that could be fun

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't really care much about these apps, TBH. I just use my phone for this stuff.
... and I'm still waiting to hear about 'iOS in the Car' being supported in the '14 Q50 when Apple releases iOS7. You are right though, I use these apps streaming over bluetooth in my G37 today. Built in apps only benefits by using the larger screen built into the car.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
... and I'm still waiting to hear about 'iOS in the Car' being supported in the '14 Q50 when Apple releases iOS7. You are right though, I use these apps streaming over bluetooth in my G37 today. Built in apps only benefits by using the larger screen built into the car.
There are other benefits. If you stream Pandora or IHeart now you can't use the thumbs up and thumbs down without touching your phone, which is illegal. with the app you can do that on the screen. Also, sound quality from the app is better than bluetooth streaming. At least it was on the lexus GS.

Reactions: Infiniti Chick

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
sure some people will say apps are pointless in a car. but if done correctly...there could be some really nifty ones

you can do one that finds cheap gas near you
you can do one that finds your friends and will direct you to their current location
or one that lets you know if someone you know is driving near you

theres tons of ideas that could be fun
The Facebook app integrates with the nav system. If a friend checks in at a location it can route you there.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I have a lexus with enform (there apps suite) and I use it all the time. I use pandora radio, Bing to search things and it works VERY well.. it also has some movie app (i dont really watch movies) but if i did I think it would really come in handy because it can show times and you can even buy tickets. It also has some resturant app which I used a few times so I am digging the apps

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
There are only a handful of apps that I really care about. These are Pandora, Google, and Aha Radio. Anything beyond this is just icing for me.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Unless you have an iPhone, which many of us do. The iPhone must be plugged in and I think that significantly reduces the appeal of the apps.
I'm not sure about you, but my phone is always plugged in when I'm in my car...always take advantage of every second to charge the battery!

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I always plug my iPhone in to charge it as well. I forgot to mention on a previous post, but I did notice that there didn't appear to be a notch in the center console for the iPhone/USB cable to string out of the armrest without pinching it.

If anyone gets a chance to confirm I'd appreciate it, seems like I either missed it or that's a pretty big oversight.

That, to me, makes a big difference, I don't like hiding the phone in the console. I would rather have out viewable and accessible. Maybe the new in-touch will negate the need for seeing the phone so that may change moving forward but on my G I need to see the phone.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I always plug my iPhone in to charge it as well. I forgot to mention on a previous post, but I did notice that there didn't appear to be a notch in the center console for the iPhone/USB cable to string out of the armrest without pinching it.

If anyone gets a chance to confirm I'd appreciate it, seems like I either missed it or that's a pretty big oversight.

That, to me, makes a big difference, I don't like hiding the phone in the console. I would rather have out viewable and accessible. Maybe the new in-touch will negate the need for seeing the phone so that may change moving forward but on my G I need to see the phone.
I think the idea here is that you don't need your phone out to play with it at every stoplight, or god forbid, during a left turn across 3 lanes of traffic (I literally see this daily). The apps and Intouch system has enough integration to prevent this. It reads SMS back to you but can only reply with preset short messages (and customized messages you configure).

Yes, I know, the phone is pretty and you like staring at it, but it doesn't help safety. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts

I would imagine there is a notch...there is a notch in my 2006 Nissan Titan, so surely this car would have one too...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would imagine there is a notch...there is a notch in my 2006 Nissan Titan, so surely this car would have one too...
Someone had mentioned this concern before I went for my test drive a week ago so I looked for it specifically. The center console cover didn't have a notch/pass through for a wire. It looked flush against the console.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.