Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Weather, sports, clock....

Anyone finds these useful while driving?
I would rather just use my phone. I don't understand the point of having apps in my car. Who cares about updating their facebook status while driving??? :confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
At this point, yes.

Infiniti bills inTouch as being advanced but, the fact is, it doesn't come close to Honda's Link system in functionality. And Honda's system is going on 10 years on the market. Clearly, Infiniti didn't do much if any benchmarking against the competition. Or, if they did, they didn't invest much effort in matching let alone beating the competition.

There's a lot of things I like about the Q50 but, I feel like Infiniti has grossly misrepresented inTouch to the point I probably won't buy another car from them. In my mind, they have bordered on false advertising regarding inTouch. At best, they've grossly oversold it. The more I'm learning about inTouch the less I'm liking it.

After digging around in the various screens, I'm convinced their supplier for inTouch is Denso and Denso isn't exactly the pinnacle in the industry for this sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts

Ummm, InTouch, IMO certainly is not a gimmick and it's certainly not useless either. Not inherently anyway.

I just don't understand this stance. What you do or don't do with InTouch is entirely in your hands. Don't blame the system for having things that you don't have a need for. I mean, this is such a slippery slope of a situation to me, it's just not worth taking any issue with.

Sure, it's got some problems, but that doesn't inherently make its existence any less useful.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I would rather just use my phone. I don't understand the point of having apps in my car. Who cares about updating their facebook status while driving??? :confused:
AMEN! As I said months ago, I have no desire to have a rolling office. I got the Q for driving. Then again, I don't use Facebook, Twitter, IM, MySpace, texting, etc. I keep a cell phone in my car for emergencies, but I don't have it turned on. I don't have a need to stay in constant contact with friends and relatives, telling them, "I'm in the Dairy Department now," or "I just passed 27th Avenue." If it's important, I can contact them when I get home or where else I'm going(and they can contact me). When someone is with me, THEY get my attention. I know all of this puts me into the minority, but I seem to have a lot less stress than others who have to stay "connected" all the time. Just my opinion.:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AMEN! As I said months ago, I have no desire to have a rolling office. I got the Q for driving. Then again, I don't use Facebook, Twitter, IM, MySpace, texting, etc. I keep a cell phone in my car for emergencies, but I don't have it turned on. I don't have a need to stay in constant contact with friends and relatives, telling them, "I'm in the Dairy Department now," or "I just passed 27th Avenue." If it's important, I can contact them when I get home or where else I'm going(and they can contact me). When someone is with me, THEY get my attention. I know all of this puts me into the minority, but I seem to have a lot less stress than others who have to stay "connected" all the time. Just my opinion.:D
I agree 100%
IMO inTouch and the second touch screen was a waste of money and development resources that Nissan could have allocated to Q50's better handling/road feel, more standard options or possibly lower price.

If I was shopping for a base model I'd much rather have memory seats and a rear sonar than the second touch screen with scrolling apps.

Furthermore, I think, inTouch can be a dangerous distraction because it encourages drivers to take their eyes off the road.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Better investment...

Correct, about the issue of needing to take your eyes off the road to manipulate the display being a negative.

Rather than screwing around with app capability, the money would have been better spent on developing a full set of voice commands that work with every system. InTouch is truly lame in that regard. Voice commands for working the climate control are nearly non-existent. You should be able to manipulate the steering heat, seat heat, fan speed and vent mode with voice commands, to name a few, and you can do none of that with InTouch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do have a smart phone that is on all the time and do look at Facebook but I do not need it in the car and it can be dangerous. Would much rather have rear sonar and memory seat. Bluetooth is a must because I do sometimes take calls in the car but the rest does not seem to belong in a car. If a passenger needs Facebook let them use their phone or ipad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
InTouch? What InTouch? My car does NOTHING different than a standard car. No weather, no maps, no nothing. Text messaging doesn't work, all I get is a maintenance minder which was in my G37 years before. And I have to wait for the entire system to load to see the backup camera lines while the g37 had them instantly...you know when you start your car and back up out of the garage or parking space!!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I need to tell the world that "I AM DRIVING NOW". Another 2 mins, I will update it to "Still driving....."

I am considering myself young generation (30 yo) and what I think it is ironic is that, these people demand attention or feeling connected but most of time, they spent most of their time on Facebook rather than face-to-face conversation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
the only thing i like about infiniti putting in the intouch is they removed all those buttons!!! i had a loaner m37 for a day and boy all those buttons i was like wat do i press to turn off the a/c...lol

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Same for me.

I'm almost at a loss for words here.
I guess I was just way more focused on my confort with the seats, the ride confort, how the hybrid system works, does it drives seamlessly between EV mode and combined mode.

I didn't even look at the InTouch system app wise.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
InTouch? What InTouch? My car does NOTHING different than a standard car. No weather, no maps, no nothing. Text messaging doesn't work, all I get is a maintenance minder which was in my G37 years before. And I have to wait for the entire system to load to see the backup camera lines while the g37 had them instantly...you know when you start your car and back up out of the garage or parking space!!!
Ok, either you're exaggerating, lying, or you have a faulty Q50.

Intouch is independent of the Around View Monitor/Rear View and the camera should appear right away(in 2 seconds or less) when you put it in Reverse, regardless of whether or not the system has completed loading or not.

Additionally, there's a upside to having a 1-2 second delay in the rear view camera as well. It gives the driver the much needed chance for them to physically turn their heads and check their surroundings first before focusing entirely on the camera screen.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Intouch is independent of the Around View Monitor/Rear View and the camera should appear right away(in 2 seconds or less) when you put it in Reverse, regardless of whether or not the system has completed loading or not.

Additionally, there's a upside to having a 1-2 second delay in the rear view camera as well. It gives the driver the much needed chance for them to physically turn their heads and check their surroundings first before focusing entirely on the camera screen.
What he is saying is that when you put your car in reverse, different than with all of our previous cars, the Q, if you don't wait until your Apps were fully Loaded then you won't have the directional guide lines, and yes, that's true and I think most if not all of us have the same issue. Additionally, I understand his concerns about weather (Not in the Navigation) as I live in Puerto Rico and XM (or SiriusXm in this case) won't reach us down here, so even when I have a SiriusXM radio and all the features it includes, I can't use them. But, well, that's part of the deal, maybe if Infiniti finally changes to full Sirius then we have Satellite footprint and can have Satellite Radio. I don't understand why Sirius doesn't finally merge everything, I mean, why keeping different radios and Satellites when they can merge everything?, but that's not Infiniti's fault so there is no foul play there.

BUT, at least in my case, I've never used the Camera to reverse from my Garage or my Office's parking lot, so, for me is and won't be a non-issue, but again, every person is a different World...

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I need to tell the world that "I AM DRIVING NOW". Another 2 mins, I will update it to "Still driving....."

I am considering myself young generation (30 yo) and what I think it is ironic is that, these people demand attention or feeling connected but most of time, they spent most of their time on Facebook rather than face-to-face conversation.
AMEN!!!! Some of the moronic conversations I've ever heard are from people who are shopping, and telling the person on the other end where they are in the store and where they will be going next("I'm in the dairy section, and will be looking at the meats next"). And I hope that they NEVER institute the change that will allow cell phone conversations on planes. I just know that there are going to be some nasty confrontations then. If there's a psychologist on the forum, maybe he/she could explain the "need" to be connected 24 hours a day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

He is not exaggerating and he is not lying. It takes close to a minute for predictive guidelines to show up in non-DAS models. And that's a fact.

Also, an "upside to having a 1-2 second delay in the rear view camera" is very highly debatable.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
What he is saying is that when you put your car in reverse, different than with all of our previous cars, the Q, if you don't wait until your Apps were fully Loaded then you won't have the directional guide lines, and yes, that's true and I think most if not all of us have the same issue.
You know, what, I'll check on this because this is news to me and this is the first I've heard of this.

My apologies but I never noticed if the guidelines were there or not but I always thought they showed up right away with the camera. :eek: I've also not been aware that this had anything to with vehicles having a specific package or not.

If that's the case then obviously it's never been an issue for me but I can see where it could be a minor nuisance in certain situations for those that don't have DAS. :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Also, an "upside to having a 1-2 second delay in the rear view camera" is very highly debatable.
I'm sorry you feel that way but to me, and maybe this is just me, but I like to prefer to see the positive side of things in the world. It doesn't come easy to a lot of people but all I know is that the 1-2 seconds that I have to wait for the camera to pop up has never once bothered me. :) If it did, then maybe it'd mean that I have some bigger issues I need to take care of.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

True. However, the line distance on the screen does not show up on mine when it is just started up. I notice for some reason, the video quality is less than G.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.