1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
very exciting!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I still would never lease a Hyundai. I'd rather pay more and get the real thing.
The real thing? I assume you mean something other than an Infiniti since owning an Infiniti really means leasing/buying a Nissan. Audi is VW, Lexus is Toyota, Buick is GM, Cadillac is GM, Lincoln is Ford, Acura is Honda, so which brands are the real thing? Mercedes? BMW? Besides, Hyundai/Genesis appear to be doing something right. Reviews seem consistently positive for these vehicles, so the G70 will likely be well received for those not so hung up on brand recognition.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The real thing? I assume you mean something other than an Infiniti since owning an Infiniti really means leasing/buying a Nissan. Audi is VW, Lexus is Toyota, Buick is GM, Cadillac is GM, Lincoln is Ford, Acura is Honda, so which brands are the real thing? Mercedes? BMW? Besides, Hyundai/Genesis appear to be doing something right. Reviews seem consistently positive for these vehicles, so the G70 will likely be well received for those not so hung up on brand recognition.
My post came off condescending but it wasn't my intention. You are right we should reserve judgment until the G70 comes out. Based off first impressions, and if the car drives anything like the G80, I'm not interested.

Have you driven the G80? It's a very large car lacking any driving dynamics which would make you want to drive it again.

Anyways, Genesis is getting completely killed. No one is paying $50K+ for a rebadged Hyundai. They really need to step up the dealership experience to start with if they want to compete in this segment.

Just my opinion!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you driven the G80? It's a very large car lacking any driving dynamics which would make you want to drive it again.
I have, and I liked it. It all depends on what one is looking for our of a vehicle, but for me I liked that it was large and comfortable.

Anyways, Genesis is getting completely killed. No one is paying $50K+ for a rebadged Hyundai.
I'm curious what makes you think this?

They really need to step up the dealership experience to start with if they want to compete in this segment.
This I can agree with. There's nothing wrong with Hyundai dealerships, per se, but I don't get the same experience at Hyundai that I do at Infiniti. To be fair, however, I'm not entirely sure I can say why that matters. I don't go to the dealership to hang out. I go for service, and I'm in and out within an hour or so in either case.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have, and I liked it. It all depends on what one is looking for our of a vehicle, but for me I liked that it was large and comfortable.

I'm curious what makes you think this?

This I can agree with. There's nothing wrong with Hyundai dealerships, per se, but I don't get the same experience at Hyundai that I do at Infiniti. To be fair, however, I'm not entirely sure I can say why that matters. I don't go to the dealership to hang out. I go for service, and I'm in and out within an hour or so in either case.
Sales numbers are way down. I will give them the benefit of the doubt since they're a new brand but they are not even making a dent in the segment as it stands.

As far as dealership experience, I don't value it much either since I'm hardly ever there but for many it's a huge deal walking into a fancy dealership, grabbing your iced mocha & getting into your loaner within 10 minutes. It's also an issue where they are still selling Genesis' next to Sonatas' for the non stand-alone Genesis dealers.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
No one is paying $50K+ for a rebadged Hyundai.
I'm betting folks made similar comments about Lexus when they first arrived on the scene. You have to start somewhere and hope that you can build and define a brand that people no longer look at the vehicle as a Hyundai (or as a Toyota as Lexus had to do back in the day).

Reactions: selzini and ifarlow

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alright. I'll ask the big question. Being new to the Infiniti brand as my 2017 Q50 is the first Nissan, oops meant Infiniti, that I've ever owned... how and when did Infniti start in north America? Did they build some new buildings and slap Infiniti signs on them or start selling the brand at Nissan dealerships?

I am honestly curious now. I researched the heck out of all the usual suspects before taking a chance on the Q50. I love my car! Everything about it. The only negative thng that I can think of is the lack of leather as standard equipment in the 46k premium plus model.

Please enlighten me about the humble beginnings of this fantastic automobile company.

Cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Exterior looks like the Q50 (kind of) while the interior is a straight ripoff of a C class (no surprise there.)

I still would never lease a Hyundai. I'd rather pay more and get the real thing.
I like the exterior look. From the side IMO it's a Q50 hack(probably why I like it) Particularly the shelf that starts on front fenders and runs along doors with a second shelf that starts just under the first shelf on the rear door and over rear tire and blends into sides of the rear deck lid. It's just so obvious that the sheet metal design is copied from the Q50.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm betting folks made similar comments about Lexus when they first arrived on the scene. You have to start somewhere and hope that you can build and define a brand that people no longer look at the vehicle as a Hyundai (or as a Toyota as Lexus had to do back in the day).
Actually, Lexus took market share right away from Mercedes & BMW. They initially hit their 1st year target goal.

Genesis really has an uphill fight because they are also fighting SUV's which have taken over the large market sedan space.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Alright. I'll ask the big question. Being new to the Infiniti brand as my 2017 Q50 is the first Nissan, oops meant Infiniti, that I've ever owned... how and when did Infniti start in north America? Did they build some new buildings and slap Infiniti signs on them or start selling the brand at Nissan dealerships?

I am honestly curious now. I researched the heck out of all the usual suspects before taking a chance on the Q50. I love my car! Everything about it. The only negative thng that I can think of is the lack of leather as standard equipment in the 46k premium plus model.

Please enlighten me about the humble beginnings of this fantastic automobile company.

Cheers.
Yes - they created their own distribution like Acura & Lexus did. But Infiniti did not have anywhere close to the success that Acura & Lexus did and almost folded in the late 90's. The G saved them from going under.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Cheers.
Infiniti started in 1989 with their own dealership network in the US - no Nissan dealerships selling them new. First model was the Q45, hence why now every car model begins with 'Q'. And Infiniti was the first brand to have the "Total Ownership Experience" model with stuff like loaner cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Infiniti started in 1989 with their own dealership network in the US - no Nissan dealerships selling them new. First model was the Q45, hence why now every car model begins with 'Q'. And Infiniti was the first brand to have the "Total Ownership Experience" model with stuff like loaner cars.

Well my limited knowledge tells me the G series was before the Q cars. The Q50 was replacing the q45 in 2014 that I believe was a rebadged G37 for a year or two?? I think that the G series cars were their first models avaiable for sale in North America. Maybe as you stated 1989. Can't believe how many years ago that was and that there was a large market for these types of expensive imported cars.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Well my limited knowledge tells me the G series was before the Q cars. The Q50 was replacing the q45 in 2014 that I believe was a rebadged G37 for a year or two?? I think that the G series cars were their first models avaiable for sale in North America. Maybe as you stated 1989. Can't believe how many years ago that was and that there was a large market for these types of expensive imported cars.
@miccris93 has it correct. Not that everything on Wikipedia is correct but this entry appears pretty solid. The Q45 was definitely the first Infiniti. Those cars have stood the test of time quite well. My dad still drives an early '90's iteration of the Q45.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti

·
Registered
673 Posts
The Q45 was first as the flagship, then the M30 came as a coupe and convertible, then I believe the G20, and the I30 and QX4 came later on to round out the model range in the 90s. The M35/45 replaced the Q45 in the mid-2000s and became the flagship car. They switched from G/M and EX/FX/JX/QX to Q and QX for the 2014 model year to remove model naming from engine displacement (otherwise we'd probably have a G30 right now instead of Q50 3.0t and a JX25h instead of a QX60 Hybrid). Johan de Nysschen also seems to have a thing about changing model names since he did it at Audi, Infiniti, and now Cadillac with the CT and XT naming for cars and SUVs, respectively.

Imports have always been a big thing with the likes of Mercedes-Benz and BMW, but the Japanese wanted a piece of the premium market starting in the late 80s to break the connection that all of their cars were just econoboxes or cheap, and to try and prove that Japanese craftsmanship and attention to detail can match and surpass what the Germans were putting out (Lexus had an ad with a pyramid of champagne glasses on a running LS hood to showcase how smooth the engine was).

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You forgot about the J30, which replaced the M30 in 1993.

Also, the G20, which really was just a rebadged and gussied up Nissan Sentra, came out about the same time. It has to be one of Infiniti's biggest mistakes, taking an entry level base car and trying to make it into a luxury car.

It wasn't as bad as Cadillac's Cimarron, which was a rebadged Chevy Cavalier, but still a mistake (which they corrected, thankfully, with the G35).

Lexus got away with the idea with the ES, which was a made-over Camry.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I don't like this, why get this over a Stinger?
how does the track record of kia look like in sport sedan market? The segment is very competitive and Stinger better deliver, not something that barely made it but has to land in the middle of the pack.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts