Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Whats the deal with the trim around the window?
just for sh*ts and giggles i bet

I think it's nice to see competing products. G70 is a decent car and definitely above the "alternative luxury" :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
iPod slammed on dashboard was a deal killer for german cars

Amen! And it looks like most cars coming out today are doing the same thing. Infiniti figured out how to have two screens integrated into the dash, and the other designers can't figure out how to get ONE? It's lazy design.
It seems we are the only ones who don't think it looks "dated" everybody complains about the Q50/60 screens being "dated".

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
It seems we are the only ones who don't think it looks "dated" everybody complains about the Q50/60 screens being "dated".

They're the same people who think that classic, great movies are dated and need to be redone, or that some "modern" artist needs to give us a newer version of the Mona Lisa. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think I saw a few of those at the Houston Car Show...looks good, feels and sounds cheap when i was opening and closing the doors....

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think I saw a few of those at the Houston Car Show...looks good, feels and sounds cheap when i was opening and closing the doors....
lol - i went there as well. I tried 'knocking' against the door and it felt like it's too thin, especially when comparing it to the mercedes that really felt solid. Unfortunately, the jag right next to them (f-type) also felt just as cheap as the genesis. I do understand that it wasn't a fair measure of the cars worth though.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
The way they've designed the grille takes away from the look of a luxury car. Reminds me too much of a low-end Kia. Tail lamps are a bit bland. Step backwards for this model, IMO.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
They're the same people who think that classic, great movies are dated and need to be redone, or that some "modern" artist needs to give us a newer version of the Mona Lisa. ;)
Those are 2x totally different arguments your making...

One is a piece of art work and the other is a tool to be used to make things easier.
And that tool is only going to become slower, less useful and functional as time goes on.

Every second you spend waiting for screens to change, maps to update directions etc. the more time you spend distracted
when driving. So from a technical aspect it's not only unacceptable but also from an visual prospective having 2 screens
that don't match not only looks off but it's also super lazy.

Signed someone who works in IT.

lol - i went there as well. I tried 'knocking' against the door and it felt like it's too thin, especially when comparing it to the mercedes that really felt solid. Unfortunately, the jag right next to them (f-type) also felt just as cheap as the genesis. I do understand that it wasn't a fair measure of the cars worth though.
Hmm the door did come off as a bit flimsy (Q60 seemed a bit sturdier), but it's pretty much all down to the sound-proof material
they used being thinner/cheap. There is a few videos up on how to fix the problem for like $60, door sounds solid and you don't need
to worry about speaker rattle when the tunes are cranked.

Granted... You do expect a bit more out of a premium brand luxury car.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Those are 2x totally different arguments your making...

One is a piece of art work and the other is a tool to be used to make things easier.
And that tool is only going to become slower, less useful and functional as time goes on.

Every second you spend waiting for screens to change, maps to update directions etc. the more time you spend distracted
when driving. So from a technical aspect it's not only unacceptable but also from an visual prospective having 2 screens
that don't match not only looks off but it's also super lazy.

Signed someone who works in IT.

I'm not arguing for two screens, or that technology shouldn't be improved. My point is that not integrating the screen INTO the dash is just plain lazy design, and looks tacked on at the last minute: "OOPS, I knew I forgot something, so I'll just put it on top." It looks like something someone came up with late, and because the design was already built, they had to put it somewhere, and the top of the dash was the only logical place. Oh, it also partially BLOCKS one's vision out to the right. Now, THAT could be unsafe. Technology might be first-rate, but if it LOOKS amateurish or ugly, it detracts from the car as a whole. A modern example could be the Pontiac Aztek. Supposedly, it was a good car, but hardly anyone bought it because it looked just plain awful. As David said:
iPod slammed on dashboard was a deal killer for German cars Reliability, fun to drive and comfort are necessities for me, but I would not buy a car if I hated the "look" of it, and had to see it every day.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Hmm the door did come off as a bit flimsy (Q60 seemed a bit sturdier), but it's pretty much all down to the sound-proof material
they used being thinner/cheap. There is a few videos up on how to fix the problem for like $60, door sounds solid and you don't need
to worry about speaker rattle when the tunes are cranked.

Granted... You do expect a bit more out of a premium brand luxury car.
I think the sound deadening material is fine. I was referring to the sheet metal thickness. It's as if you'd dent it quite easily if you lean against it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I honestly cannot believe anyone, professional reviewers in particular, can objectively believe that any car which has a screen sticking out of the dash is a suitable design, it's an aesthetic disaster, like it was a total afterthought, as if it was done by the boss' idiot son and those who should have known better were afraid to point out how poor the design was. Sorry, it's lousy engineering. The same reviewers who complain about the dual screens and not the "iPad sticking out of the dashboard" (nice one David) just have an axe to grind, but at least the Infiniti engineers spent time considering the implementation and the look. I have grown to like the dual screen, as they are segmented to perform different functions, and display different information.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I honestly cannot believe anyone, professional reviewers in particular, can objectively believe that any car which has a screen sticking out of the dash is a suitable design, it's an aesthetic disaster, like it was a total afterthought, as if it was done by the boss' idiot son and those who should have known better were afraid to point out how poor the design was. Sorry, it's lousy engineering. The same reviewers who complain about the dual screens and not the "iPad sticking out of the dashboard" (nice one David) just have an axe to grind, but at least the Infiniti engineers spent time considering the implementation and the look. I have grown to like the dual screen, as they are segmented to perform different functions, and display different information.
I agree 100%. I don't understand the odd trend of having screens stuck on top of the dash. I'm glad some manufacturers are avoiding this, i.e. Infiniti, Alfa Romeo, etc...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I agree 100%. I don't understand the odd trend of having screens stuck on top of the dash. I'm glad some manufacturers are avoiding this, i.e. Infiniti, Alfa Romeo, etc...
The slapdash screen bugs me too. Some have hypothesized that it may facilitate the units cooling ability.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I'm not arguing for two screens, or that technology shouldn't be improved. My point is that not integrating the screen INTO the dash is just plain lazy design, and looks tacked on at the last minute: "OOPS, I knew I forgot something, so I'll just put it on top." It looks like something someone came up with late, and because the design was already built, they had to put it somewhere, and the top of the dash was the only logical place. Oh, it also partially BLOCKS one's vision out to the right. Now, THAT could be unsafe. Technology might be first-rate, but if it LOOKS amateurish or ugly, it detracts from the car as a whole. A modern example could be the Pontiac Aztek. Supposedly, it was a good car, but hardly anyone bought it because it looked just plain awful.
Ah my mistake... carry on sir!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i, for one, am most interested to learn what this thing will actually weigh. this is several inches shorter than the stinger, so conceivably it should be significantly lighter. otoh, the only genesis vehicles currently available for sale are lead weights within their respective class.

its also looking more and more that this car's release date will be later rather than sooner. i am not seeing any first drives / reviews / instrumented tests of US models in any american mags. first drives and instrumented tests of the US spec stinger began appearing as far back as September & October, and that car wasn't available for sale here until just after christmas. if the G70 follows suit, and even if a first drive of a US spec G70 appeared as early as tomorrow, that would put its release date at the beginning of summer. i suspect the excitement over the vehicle's arrival will lose steam the longer this drags out.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
i, for one, am most interested to learn what this thing will actually weigh. this is several inches shorter than the stinger, so conceivably it should be significantly lighter. otoh, the only genesis vehicles currently available for sale are lead weights within their respective class.

its also looking more and more that this car's release date will be later rather than sooner. i am not seeing any first drives / reviews / instrumented tests of US models in any american mags. first drives and instrumented tests of the US spec stinger began appearing as far back as September & October, and that car wasn't available for sale here until just after christmas. if the G70 follows suit, and even if a first drive of a US spec G70 appeared as early as tomorrow, that would put its release date at the beginning of summer. i suspect the excitement over the vehicle's arrival will lose steam the longer this drags out.
Obviously, you CAN capitalize, but you don't do it for "I." I wonder what Freud would say about that. >:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Latest word on G70 availability is July according to multiple people on the G70 Forum who've spoken with dealers. Apparently, a whole bunch of cars are in the port and Genesis needs to move them to dealers. The process will take a few weeks and dealers expect to have them on their lots some time in July.

This car looks to have a lot going for it. Price will be key. If they come in at a reasonable figure. Canadian prices are quite good if you adjust for exchange between Canadian and US dollars but there's no guarantee that US prices will be equivalent to currency-adjusted Canadian prices. If Genesis gets greedy and tries to squeeze US customers, I think they'll falter after the typical surge of "gotta have it" buyers. On the other hand, if they price aggressively, even as a relatively unknown marque, they may pull customers from other brands in sizeable numbers.

Genesis hasn't managed the US roll-out too efficiently so far, going through changes regarding which dealers could sell Genesis automobiles, for example. Looks like they'll let Hyundai dealerships that are currently selling the G80 and G90 also offer the G70, after suggesting earlier that they would limit sales to 100 Genesis-only dealerships. So, definitely some false starts. They've been available for a while now in Canada and people seem to be liking them quite a bit. It's assumed that equipment will be similar in the US to what's offered in Canada, although that didn't prove to be the case for the Kia Stinger. The Canadian G70s have lots of goodies, including plenty of advanced tech like a heads-up display, Android Auto, and a fairly complete suite of safety and driver convenience features. It'll be one to watch of Genesis doesn't doom it by pricing it too high.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Latest word on G70 availability is July according to multiple people on the G70 Forum who've spoken with dealers. Apparently, a whole bunch of cars are in the port and Genesis needs to move them to dealers. The process will take a few weeks and dealers expect to have them on their lots some time in July.

This car looks to have a lot going for it. Price will be key. If they come in at a reasonable figure. Canadian prices are quite good if you adjust for exchange between Canadian and US dollars but there's no guarantee that US prices will be equivalent to currency-adjusted Canadian prices. If Genesis gets greedy and tries to squeeze US customers, I think they'll falter after the typical surge of "gotta have it" buyers. On the other hand, if they price aggressively, even as a relatively unknown marque, they may pull customers from other brands in sizeable numbers.

Genesis hasn't managed the US roll-out too efficiently so far, going through changes regarding which dealers could sell Genesis automobiles, for example. Looks like they'll let Hyundai dealerships that are currently selling the G80 and G90 also offer the G70, after suggesting earlier that they would limit sales to 100 Genesis-only dealerships. So, definitely some false starts. They've been available for a while now in Canada and people seem to be liking them quite a bit. It's assumed that equipment will be similar in the US to what's offered in Canada, although that didn't prove to be the case for the Kia Stinger. The Canadian G70s have lots of goodies, including plenty of advanced tech like a heads-up display, Android Auto, and a fairly complete suite of safety and driver convenience features. It'll be one to watch of Genesis doesn't doom it by pricing it too high.
I don't see much going for Genesis. Do they have an SUV coming? If not, they're dead in the water.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't see much going for Genesis. Do they have an SUV coming? If not, they're dead in the water.
They do have an SUV or two in the pipeline, but not for this year. Probably in another year or two. Not introducing them sooner, given the direction of the market, is a mistake. The G70 looks to be a good car but the overall management of its introduction has been clumsy at best and they may be dead in the water if they can't get some momentum going. If they price the G70 aggressively in the US, I think it may be an appealing enough car to give them some momentum. If they price it too high, on the other hand, I just don't think that any serious momentum will build. We'll see, I guess.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts