Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Would rather see an android alternative. Not a fan of iOS. ... As i type this on my ipad.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My guess would be if Apple is successful implementing this "technology" across existing usb 2.0 interfaces, that Android will counter with something similar.

From the description on the link you provided, I'm actually not sure that IOS is displaying on the car's screen or it is just feeding certain information to the car's host computer.

As much as I'd like to have more integration between my phone and the Q's screen, I can honestly say I hope that they never simply show the phone's display on the car display. People are already too distracted by technology that is already available in cars. Can you imagine how distracted they would be if there was a television show displayed on their car's screen. Even if it was "for the passengers", I know I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from looking at it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you imagine how distracted they would be if there was a television show displayed on their car's screen. Even if it was "for the passengers", I know I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from looking at it.
I'm not sure where you're getting there'd be a "television show" on the car's screen. Thats not what this is about.

iOS in the Car seamlessly integrates your iOS device — and the iOS experience — with your in-dash system. If your vehicle is equipped with iOS in the Car, you can connect your iPhone 5 or later and interact with it using the car’s built-in display and controls or Siri Eyes Free. Now you can easily and safely make phone calls, access your music, send and receive messages, get directions, and more. It’s all designed to let iPhone focus on what you need, so you can focus on the road.
Source: Apple - iOS 7 - What’s New

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'd imagine the integration would probably be limited to include media and messaging/calling only. Including maps I think would hurt sales of the nav system, which was way overpriced anyway. They'll probably just add it to the nav technology package to solve that problem lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
By media, do you mean music only?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm not sure where you're getting there'd be a "television show" on the car's screen. Thats not what this is about.

iOS in the Car seamlessly integrates your iOS device — and the iOS experience — with your in-dash system. If your vehicle is equipped with iOS in the Car, you can connect your iPhone 5 or later and interact with it using the car’s built-in display and controls or Siri Eyes Free. Now you can easily and safely make phone calls, access your music, send and receive messages, get directions, and more. It’s all designed to let iPhone focus on what you need, so you can focus on the road.
Source: Apple - iOS 7 - What’s New
You don't know that. I went back and re-read the link you provided. They don't provide details on how they plan on implementing it. Either one of use could be right.

“iOS in the Car seamlessly integrates your iOS device — and the iOS experience — with your in-dash system,”
The "iOS experience" certainly could include viewing videos "with your in-dash system"

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The "iOS experience" certainly could include viewing videos "with your in-dash system"
Well thats true.

But they dont mention that on the list of features:
"Now you can easily and safely make phone calls, access your music, send and receive messages, get directions, and more."

I suppose, "and more" could include just about anything. But, I have a feeling they wouldnt be stupid enough to include television/video watching.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It seems pretty clear that what you get IS the iOS interface, but one specific to vehicles. It isn't using airplay or mirroring, it is an API that allows certain features to be projected (and manipulated) on the car display and interface.

Scroll down near the bottom for a better look at a few of the screens:
Apple - iOS 7 - What’s New

I don't think you need to worry about the phone screen being projected on the display or anything like that.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Can you imagine how distracted they would be if there was a television show displayed on their car's screen. Even if it was "for the passengers", I know I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from looking at it.

I use to have a double din TV tuner on my car and was able to watch the laker games and the simpsons on my way home. Wasn't distracting at all.

Plus car was a stick.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I use to have a double din TV tuner on my car and was able to watch the laker games and the simpsons on my way home. Wasn't distracting at all.

Plus car was a stick.
Of course you did:rolleyes:

Thank god I don't live anywhere near you.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It seems pretty clear that what you get IS the iOS interface, but one specific to vehicles. It isn't using airplay or mirroring, it is an API that allows certain features to be projected (and manipulated) on the car display and interface.

Scroll down near the bottom for a better look at a few of the screens:
Apple - iOS 7 - What’s New

I don't think you need to worry about the phone screen being projected on the display or anything like that.
Thanks, and apologies to bkafrick. I missed the link (didn't realize it was a link). Once I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page, I see how they are implementing it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
iOS in the car...

If they are looking to get some of the pressure off inTouch, and it's tardy roll out, they'd work to get this implemented quickly. This appears to address a lot of the functionality short fall with iPhones.

In speaking with consumer affairs, I questioned the person on the shortcomings of the integration with iPhones. The person kept blaming the iOS as the problem. I pushed back saying that there were no disclaimers in the marketing saying certain feature weren't available with iPhone. I also pointed out the irony in Infiniti offering a $350 Apple gift card for early purchasers and then delivering a truncated level of integration with inTouch for Apple products. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.