Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum.. Just wanted to know if you guys thing it's a good idea to lease a car then buyout the car at the end of my lease. I want to get a Q50 but I am aware of some of the issues you guys are having. I am planning on leasing it first and if everything goes well I will just keep it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
No. This is never the best way to get a car. You end up paying more in the long run. Why not just lease another when the lease is up if you like it?

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello forum.. Just wanted to know if you guys thing it's a good idea to lease a car then buyout the car at the end of my lease. I want to get a Q50 but I am aware of some of the issues you guys are having. I am planning on leasing it first and if everything goes well I will just keep it.

Thanks in advance.
you should only consider doing this if you're way over or way under on mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
What you describe is one perfect reason to consider leasing then buying. Yes, you will be paying more for the money you're borrowing by leasing rather than buying the car outright. But at the end of the lease you have options. And you're gambling with Infiniti's money - rather than your own - on what the actual depreciation will be.

If, at the end of the lease your buyout cost is $25K but you can buy a very similar, nice used one for $23K, then buy the used one (if you prefer it to your $25K one). Or, you can just turn in the keys. If the buyout is $25K and trade-in value is $26K, you have $1000 in equity if you treat it like a trade in, or you can buy the car out.

If you don't love the car, or there's a newer model with upgraded features you want, or you just want a new car again in 3 years, the lease makes getting out of it very easy. Infiniti and the dealership will make leasing/buying another Infiniti very attractive.

Plus, consider taxes. I'm not sure where you are, but here in California, Jerry Brown is going to take almost 10% from you when you buy a car and drive it off the lot. Now, Jerry is a nice guy, but he's not going to give you any of that tax back when you trade/sell your car in 2,3,4 years - he's just going to charge you tax on whatever you buy to replace it. On the lease, you're paying tax on the monthly lease payment, not on the total cost of the car.

So, if you know for sure that you'll be buying out the lease, then it is not a financially sound decision to go that route. However, if you want to minimize your risk, then it can be a great choice. Also, FWIW, if cash flow is important, your payments on a lease will be much lower than on a loan with similar down payment.

Reactions: avmba

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I would say one time where this might make sense is for tax write-offs if you own a business or can write odd car payments. It actually works out well since you can write off a 3 years lease and then 5 years of payments ona. Late model car. Of course, tak to your CPA about this but thought it was worth mentioning.

If you can't do the write-off then I agree with the previous responses.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Look at people like me that leased G37s in 2011 on a 39 month lease. Infiniti had a pretty nice lease offer then that assumed at 60+% residual after 39 months.

Fast forward to 2014...Infiniti decides to keep the G37 around and cut the price by about $4k. This dropped the residual values of used G37s significantly. Factor in that decent residual value assumption I mentioned earlier and folks like me that are a fair amount under mileage still are better off turning in their car to Infiniti than purchasing it at least end due to the real world value of the car today.

-a

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.