Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to add "around view camera" to my Q50 premium?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Now, if someone can hack the system and turn it into a dash cam that records into an SD card, that would be great.

Recording in 1 minute intervals that it should re-write over older 1 minute clips like a regular dash cam.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I thought about asking the dealer if that was possible with a constant recording onto a external harddrive, but then around view isnt a true birds eye and wont see much in terms of an accident as the views are too narrow. unless you cpuld record front and rear views, while getting the 360 view at the same time ans be able to view it separately.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
bboren, the answer is no.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,858 Posts
Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
238 Posts
The answer is still no.
Maybe the answer will change in 7 years :)

I do have to admit the around view camera is a life saver and will not buy another car without it.

Even if the camera quality is pretty grainy on the Q50, you can still see if you are going to hit something.

Add in "moving object detection" (not sure if this is exclusive to around view camera) and you shouldn't hit anything or anyone.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,858 Posts
I would imagine that most cars will come with an around-view system as standard equipment in the next few years just like backup cameras are now.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,368 Posts
You can get everything – it depends on the money you want to spend. I assume an Infiniti dealer would charge you something with five numbers, probably not beginning with a 1... LOL

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would imagine that most cars will come with an around-view system as standard equipment in the next few years just like backup cameras are now.
Agreed. Also in line with all the driver safety stuff - blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, lane keep/centering, rear cross traffic alert.

These will pretty much all be standard in 4-5 years.

But what does that leave for options?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Another thought, now with all these safety nannies in cars, is it a net positive or negative?

Take drunk drivers. With how these cars literally steer themselves and keep distance away from other cars, one could go out and get wasted and literally get home without issue.

One on hand they didn't kill anyone on the road but also makes drunk people more willing to take the risk behind the wheel.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,668 Posts
Reactions: jgcovina

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Another thought, now with all these safety nannies in cars, is it a net positive or negative?

Take drunk drivers. With how these cars literally steer themselves and keep distance away from other cars, one could go out and get wasted and literally get home without issue.

One on hand they didn't kill anyone on the road but also makes drunk people more willing to take the risk behind the wheel.
I doubt it. Drunk drivers have no regard for their fellow motorists. I don't think they are concerned with risk.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Is this still not possible ? Wanted to add this to my car, I have a 2017 q50 premium
Yes its possible. Take your premium to nearest Infiniti dealership and trade it in for a model that has all these options factory. Trying to add options after fact, #1 the cost of trying to add it after is not cost effective and ends up being very very very expensive. Lets say low end, each mirror camera is $1K/each. Front grille camera $2k. Control units $3K. New mirrors $750/each. Programming and labour to install if possible - 5-8 hours $ 180/hr. The real question ends up being how much money do you have to make it possible

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,368 Posts
It will not work – with or (even less) without the parts...

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I will go against the grain here and say its possible, but you'd be in totally un-charted waters here and the number of hoops, potential wiring and calibration to your Infotainment
that would need to happen simply won't make it worth it.

If Infiniti had all the wiring and software in place already across all-trims it could be a worth-wild modification, but not as is.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I will go against the grain here and say its possible, but you'd be in totally un-charted waters here and the number of hoops, potential wiring and calibration to your Infotainment
that would need to happen simply won't make it worth it.

If Infiniti had all the wiring and software in place already across all-trims it could be a worth-wild modification, but not as is.
Good point. I forgot about the wiring. And no dealer will want to attempt this huge job removing all the interior and dash apart. Labour alone for wiring installs, would be very very big

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.