Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer charges $22 to rotate the tires. As I said in another thread, I have been obsessed with wheels, especially taking them on and off since I was in diapers. I figured, it's just 22 bucks, but why pay them to have all the fun?

I bought two 1.5 ton scissor jacks. I got scissor ones because they fit perfectly under front and rear jack up points. I had a bad experience with a larger jack on my G37 with a plate that was larger than the jack up point. It ended up bending that ridge that goes under the car because the only part that is really supported to lift the car is the jack up point. I didn't get jack stands because there would be no way to set the car down on a jack stand at the same jack up point if I have a jack already in the way there.

I start jacking up the car simultaneously at the front and back and I start thinking, you know, I just don't know how good an idea this is. I would die if this car came slamming down on its rotors.

Can anyone that really knows about this tell me what they think about this or maybe even a way to properly use jack stands with a car with such limited jack up points?

I would really like to be able to do this myself. It's like bonding time with my car plus I can clean my sexy calipers.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
You can slide jack stand in two central locations, f & r and be safe (see attached). I just have my local Firestone do balance and rotation, only $60 for lifetime of the tires. I get Balance & rotation at least twice a year.

Be safe than Sorry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
My local tire shop uses 2 jacks to lift up the car when they changed my rotors but i dont think I would trust scissor jacks though! They were using 2 very duty low profile floor jacks!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use a 3 ton low profile jack on frame rails, not pinch points and have no issues. I place jack stands also as a safety measure. Harbor freight does have good jacks for reasonable. Especially when running a sale.

Reactions: hunter81

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jack Stands

I will go with Tony on his thoughts using both a good low profile jack and jack stands at each corner jack point. we have bought several of the 2 ton aluminum race jacks at Harbor Freight over the years and received seasons of use with weekly racing. ( Highly recommend ) you can get these on sale form 129 - 159.00 ) will last forever in your garage and low enough to get under all points on our C6 corvette as well.

jack stands - you can get the nice Chrome ones at Harbor freight that will lat for ever that are height adjustable and will support everything up to a suburban as Tony and the other point out you can for sure do this at home just don't cut corners on jacks or stand since you can get these for great value and they last forever. i have had my AWD up with all 4 wheels off in minutes this weekend when putting the new hide-a-plate on with the new Stillen Splitter.

Steffens

Reactions: hunter81

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a 3 ton low profile jack on frame rails, not pinch points and have no issues. I place jack stands also as a safety measure. Harbor freight does have good jacks for reasonable. Especially when running a sale.
I was thinking I could use two jack stands as a back up catch system if the car were to fall from the jack. That way, I'm not putting pressure that would damage the areas of that ridge that weren't designed for jacking, but if something happened and the jack failed the car would be caught by the jack stand and the only damage would be to that ridge. Hopefully I'm describing it where it makes sense.

What are pinch points?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can slide jack stand in two central locations, f & r and be safe (see attached). I just have my local Firestone do balance and rotation, only $60 for lifetime of the tires. I get Balance & rotation at least twice a year.

Be safe than Sorry.
Thanks for the photo.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will go with Tony on his thoughts using both a good low profile jack and jack stands at each corner jack point. we have bought several of the 2 ton aluminum race jacks at Harbor Freight over the years and received seasons of use with weekly racing. ( Highly recommend ) you can get these on sale form 129 - 159.00 ) will last forever in your garage and low enough to get under all points on our C6 corvette as well.

jack stands - you can get the nice Chrome ones at Harbor freight that will lat for ever that are height adjustable and will support everything up to a suburban as Tony and the other point out you can for sure do this at home just don't cut corners on jacks or stand since you can get these for great value and they last forever. i have had my AWD up with all 4 wheels off in minutes this weekend when putting the new hide-a-plate on with the new Stillen Splitter.

Steffens
Where do you place the jacks at in order to allow you to place the jack stands at the jack up points?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Can someone post some pictures where you place the floor jack to lift the front and back of the car so you can put jack stands on the jack stand point?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Check out OM pages"In case of emergency 6-7"

Jack-up point
1. Place the jack directly under the jack-up point as illustrated (see attached) so the top of the
jack contacts the vehicle at the jack-up point. Align the jack head between the
two notches in the front or the rear as shown. Also fit the groove of the jack
head between the notches as shown.
The jack should be used on level firm ground.
2. Loosen each wheel nut one or two turns by turning counterclockwise with the
wheel nut wrench. Do not remove the wheel nuts until the tire is off the ground.
3. Carefully raise the vehicle until the tire clears the ground. To lift the vehicle,
securely hold the jack lever and rod with both hands as shown above.
Remove the wheel nuts, and then remove the tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
As long as you are not UNDER the car, you are fine. I have done it many times. I still put a jack stand under it though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I need pictures of another jack up point so I can put the jack stand as illustrated below.

Check out OM pages"In case of emergency 6-7"

Jack-up point
1. Place the jack directly under the jack-up point as illustrated (see attached) so the top of the
jack contacts the vehicle at the jack-up point. Align the jack head between the
two notches in the front or the rear as shown. Also fit the groove of the jack
head between the notches as shown.
The jack should be used on level firm ground.
2. Loosen each wheel nut one or two turns by turning counterclockwise with the
wheel nut wrench. Do not remove the wheel nuts until the tire is off the ground.
3. Carefully raise the vehicle until the tire clears the ground. To lift the vehicle,
securely hold the jack lever and rod with both hands as shown above.
Remove the wheel nuts, and then remove the tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.