Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I hit a pretty big pot hole today. Luckily, I was only 3-4 miles from my house and was able to drive back home.

Does the wheel look bent? If so, I might need to make an insurance claim.

If not, looking for a recommendation for new tires. The OEM front tire is $453 on tirerack. A set of 4 Indy 500's are $772 and MPSS are $1163.

My car has approx 11,000 miles. Would you guys just replace the one OEM tire or all four?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Dosen't appear to be but you wont really know until you take the tire off for sure, the damage can be hidden by the tire. That said your tire is pretty screwed though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cant tell by looking at all unless its REALLLLLLY bad. When you bring it to get a new tire tell them what happen and they will check run out

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It doesn't look bad but have it inspected at a competent shop. Are those the OEM Dunlop run-flats? If so, consider replacing all four with a good quality non run-flat. It will put a smile on your face.

If you decide to replace the existing tire it is best to put two new on the same axle. If it is AWD it gets more complicated.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Dump the OEM Dumbflop RFTs and put a good set of UHP tires on your car. Don't throw more money at the Dumbflops, you'll regret it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nice to have the ability to drive home 3-4 miles after hitting a major pothole and a blowout.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
what size tire is it? I have a pile of OEM run flats in my garage I'll sell you one cheap.
Should always replace the tires in sets unless they have very similar wear to the tire it's replacing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which tire would you guys recommend? Looking to replace all 4. I'll be able to take it in on Saturday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice to have the ability to drive home 3-4 miles after hitting a major pothole and a blowout.
You can get non run flat tires and still drive home without a spare if you have this in your trunk....Slime Digital Emergency Flat Tire Repair Kit less then $50.00 and highly recommended for non run flat no spare tire runners out there.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Which tire would you guys recommend? Looking to replace all 4. I'll be able to take it in on Saturday.
See below thread.
https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/128035-new-tire-recommendiations.html

You can get non run flat tires and still drive home without a spare if you have this in your trunk....Slime Digital Emergency Flat Tire Repair Kit less then $50.00 and highly recommended for non run flat no spare tire runners out there.
Just an FYI those temporary fix-a-flat kits also tend to kill the TPMS sensors in the wheels so if you can getting a spare tire is the best bet.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Perfect if you get a flat during the evening when it’s too dangerous to change the tire or during bad weather. However you will destroy the Tire pressor monitor as BigHeadClan stated.

Also if the tire blows out completely you’re SOL with a non RF. With a RF you can drive several miles.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Perfect if you get a flat during the evening when it’s too dangerous to change the tire or during bad weather. However you will destroy the Tire pressor monitor as BigHeadClan stated.

Also if the tire blows out completely you’re SOL with a non RF. With a RF you can drive several miles.
Ummm changing a tire isn't all that dangerous outside insane weather conditions like a white-out...heck you shouldn't even be on the road at that point. If it's dark out you just need to pull over put
your hazards on and Lay down some pylons to give yourself space to work.

Besides run-flats don't prevent blow blow outs in any capacity... In-fact they appear to be more likely to fail than regular tires due to the stiffer side-walls and more weight that the suspensions needs to deal with.
True they have more stability at speed in the event a minor blow out occurs and you can drive on them for some distance, but if you have a total failure or traveling at say 70-80 mph? Your just as screwed regardless of what tire you have.

Run-flats aren't a magic bullet, give me a full sized spare tire every-day of the week.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ummm changing a tire isn't all that dangerous outside insane weather conditions like a white-out...heck you shouldn't even be on the road at that point. If it's dark out you just need to pull over put
your hazards on and Lay down some pylons to give yourself space to work.

Besides run-flats don't prevent blow blow outs in any capacity... In-fact they appear to be more likely to fail than regular tires due to the stiffer side-walls and more weight that the suspensions needs to deal with.
True they have more stability at speed in the event a minor blow out occurs and you can drive on them for some distance, but if you have a total failure or traveling at say 70-80 mph? Your just as screwed regardless of what tire you have.

Run-flats aren't a magic bullet, give me a full sized spare tire every-day of the week.
It would be nice if drivers got flat tires or blowouts on sunny days a few miles from home. Unfortunately that’s not always the case.

RF’s do not prevent blowouts at all. However if you blowout a tire with a RF you can drive several miles as I did on a tire with 0 PSI. My blowout occurred a few months ago traveling some 70 MPH.

I agree full sized spares are the way to go. Unfortunately with my Hybrid I do not have the room for a full sized spare.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
...I agree full sized spares are the way to go. Unfortunately with my Hybrid I do not have the room for a full sized spare.
Sure you do. You're just limited to carrying one twelve pack of beer or two bags of groceries.;)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
It would be nice if drivers got flat tires or blowouts on sunny days a few miles from home. Unfortunately that’s not always the case.

RF’s do not prevent blowouts at all. However if you blowout a tire with a RF you can drive several miles as I did on a tire with 0 PSI. My blowout occurred a few months ago traveling some 70 MPH.

I agree full sized spares are the way to go. Unfortunately with my Hybrid I do not have the room for a full sized spare.
Yeah that would be nice, point is there are ways to mitigate a lot of the risks if you do have to replace a tire even in terrible conditions.
But in fairness I've been lucky enough never to loose a tire *Knock on Wood* so maybe my opinion of RF's would be better if I actually
had to make use of them.

It does suck about the lack of trunk space with the hybrid though, can't wait till battery's get smaller with more capacity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts