Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts
If that Tesla MK3 was plug and play with no issues, I'd install one in a heartbeat but until one of these kits is offered that doesn't have issues integrating with the car, I'm not buying one.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
539 Posts
Ditto Tin Man - I would love to have CarPlay on my 2017 but alas - I wait for the kinks to be ironed out. :unsure:

·
Registered
16' Q50 AWD Silver Sport
43 Posts
Ditto Tin Man - I would love to have CarPlay on my 2017 but alas - I wait for the kinks to be ironed out. :unsure:
You can have carplay through SAK system, it's just the Phoenix mk# that has all the bugs and stuff but also the one that makes the interior look a little updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I ordered the smart auto kit android tablet version. Can’t wait to test it out. I went with the updated android version one.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I ordered the smart auto kit android tablet version. Can’t wait to test it out. I went with the updated android version one.
Be sure to follow Taimoor Rab’s installation video. It’s very well done. You can find it here:
SmartAutoKitsCarPlayAAInstall.mp4

I installed my SAK last week. You must be very careful when working with the DCU circuit board. I broke one of the flat cable retention clips and had to replace to board...

·
Registered
24 Posts
The aux input plays audio from the SMA kit. It's how you use Apple Carplay or Android Auto. You can sync the bluetooth to the SMA kit and use it audio instead of the factory setup. Or just use carplay/AA like it's meant to be used for.
For some reason mine always plays audio over bluetooth - if I turn bluetooth off on my phone, the music will pause, and if I press play again, it'll play over aux instead - even if I turn bluetooth back on. I have the 'connect automatically' option for bluetooth in the SMA settings turned off, do you have any idea how to make it default to aux?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
For some reason mine always plays audio over bluetooth - if I turn bluetooth off on my phone, the music will pause, and if I press play again, it'll play over aux instead - even if I turn bluetooth back on. I have the 'connect automatically' option for bluetooth in the SMA settings turned off, do you have any idea how to make it default to aux?
That sounds like you linked your Bluetooth to the SMA kit and not the OEM stereo controller. Your best bet is to unlink from everything and only link to "your car" and reject the link to the SMA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That sounds like you linked your Bluetooth to the SMA kit and not the OEM stereo controller. Your best bet is to unlink from everything and only link to "your car" and reject the link to the SMA.
Yeah, I think that's what happened. I believe it's linked to both and switches when I switch to SMA, I was just hoping that turning off BT in the SMA settings would fix that. I'll try rejecting it through the phone instead.

Also, my next track/previous track steering wheel controls are reversed when using SMA, do you have that issue as well? Not a big deal, just wondering if it's normal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I took another look and it is connected to my car via BT and not the SMA unit, the SMA is just playing music through the car's BT for some reason while in AA mode. I'll have to figure out how to correct that without turning BT off and on.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah, I think that's what happened. I believe it's linked to both and switches when I switch to SMA, I was just hoping that turning off BT in the SMA settings would fix that. I'll try rejecting it through the phone instead.

Also, my next track/previous track steering wheel controls are reversed when using SMA, do you have that issue as well? Not a big deal, just wondering if it's normal.
Yes my next track is reverse from OEM when using AA.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can have carplay through SAK system, it's just the Phoenix mk# that has all the bugs and stuff but also the one that makes the interior look a little updated.
For me, that updated look goes a long way. Think I'm gonna go for the MK3.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
For me, that updated look goes a long way. Think I'm gonna go for the MK3.
I thought the same thing....months and 3 assemblies later....it got old quick.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Did you end up selling your MKs before grabbing a SAK or did you just take the hit.
I returned all 3 of them. They were MK2's but Ive seen enough issues on MK3's that I'm not dropping $1k on an MK3 to deal with some of the same BS.

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
172 Posts
It's exactly that experience that turned me away. If it was roughly the same cost as the SAK I might have given it a shot, not at close to double though.

I returned all 3 of them. They were MK2's but Ive seen enough issues on MK3's that I'm not dropping $1k on an MK3 to deal with some of the same BS.

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
It's exactly that experience that turned me away. If it was roughly the same cost as the SAK I might have given it a shot, not at close to double though.
Someone on the FB group listed a used MK3 for $600 and people almost lost their minds trying to buy it :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Catching up after a year away from the forums. For 2016 Q50s and up:

1. Are there ANY Android Auto/Apple Carplay units that work flawlessly? I know the Phoenix Tesla-style MK3 is buggy (even though the screen is modern and pretty).

2. If you have a Q50 that has the Around View 360 degree camera, does the camera system still work with the aftermarket unit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Catching up after a year away from the forums. For 2016 Q50s and up:

1. Are there ANY Android Auto/Apple Carplay units that work flawlessly? I know the Phoenix Tesla-style MK3 is buggy (even though the screen is modern and pretty).

2. If you have a Q50 that has the Around View 360 degree camera, does the camera system still work with the aftermarket unit?
Yes, I needed up going with smart auto kits. I love it. Everything stock works 360 can included.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts