Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone planning to get the hybrid version over the petrol? How much more will the hybrid version cost?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Depends on you really.

If you just want to calculate it from a financial perspective you will have to calculate how much you would spend on the non hybrid Q50 vs the hybrid Q50 and see if that difference justifies the price increase on the hybrid model.

There are too many factors like gas prices, how you drive, when you drive, how many miles you drive. how long you plan to own the car.

And of course there are non financial reasons - less time at pump, better for environment? you like trees? :D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Depends on you really.

And of course there are non financial reasons - less time at pump, better for environment? you like trees? :D

One more basic reason: You want to stick it to the oil companies and speculators. :p

I take many short hops with my 2007 G35. With a hybrid, I'd hardly ever use any gas. Still, I know that the extra cost of the hybrid wouldn't make economic sense, but it sure would be nice passing all those gas stations for a few months at a time.;)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
The base petrol version Q50 will start at $36,450 (*including $905 for destination and handling). There is an option for all-wheel drive for an additional $1,800.

The Q50 Hybrid, which is available in Premium and Sport trim levels only, will begin at $43,700 for a rear-wheel-drive Sport model.

That is a difference of $7,250 between the base hybrid and base petrol model.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The base petrol version Q50 will start at $36,450 (*including $905 for destination and handling). There is an option for all-wheel drive for an additional $1,800.

The Q50 Hybrid, which is available in Premium and Sport trim levels only, will begin at $43,700 for a rear-wheel-drive Sport model.

That is a difference of $7,250 between the base hybrid and base petrol model.
$7,250?!!! Absolutely not worth it. I expected at most a $3000 premium like the QX60 hybrid has.

Thanks for the info M35h.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
$7,250?!!! Absolutely not worth it. I expected at most a $3000 premium like the QX60 hybrid has.

Thanks for the info M35h.
It definitely wouldn't make sense for a Q50 hybrid to have a price increase of $7250 when the QX60 hybrid is $3000 more than the regular gasoline engine QX60.

at MOST I can see an Infiniti Q50 hybrid carrying a premium of $4000-5000

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Like CFRP said, It really depends on a lot of factors when your deciding whether or not to go with a hybrid model. Everyone might be different in the end. Some might think of trying to break even with the cost of gas and some might think its better for the environment.but just how much are you willing to pay for the difference of a hybrid compared to the base model?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Recognize that the numbers you're seeing are base trim to premium trim (+ Hybrid). Honestly it's not an apples to apples.
Which is the better trim? Sport or Premium?

The way I'm reading it $43,700 Sport RWD is the cheapest options you can get for hybrid.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Comparing apples to apples:

Don't use the base Q50 in the comparison. How many people do you really think will consider that if they are also considering a hybrid? The difference between the Premium and the Premium hybrid is $4,400. That's still steep, but a more accurate comparison. Again, there's more to consider than just economics here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How long would it take an average driver to pay off the $4,400 in gas savings? How much does the average driver drive a year? 10,000 miles?

Assuming you get 20mpg on petrol and 30mpg witht he hybrid. At $3.50 per gallon it will be just under $600 a year in gas savings. The appeal to me is less about the savings and more the performance aspect of the hybrid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Comparing apples to apples:

Don't use the base Q50 in the comparison. How many people do you really think will consider that if they are also considering a hybrid? The difference between the Premium and the Premium hybrid is $4,400. That's still steep, but a more accurate comparison. Again, there's more to consider than just economics here.
Fair point, but seeing as how Infiniti doesn't allow for a cheaper trim to reduce the hybrid base cost I think the comparison is still valid. If one were shopping for a Q50 and compared the base price of the petrol version to the cheapest hybrid Q50 available, there still is a difference of nearly 8k.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fair point, but seeing as how Infiniti doesn't allow for a cheaper trim to reduce the hybrid base cost I think the comparison is still valid. If one were shopping for a Q50 and compared the base price of the petrol version to the cheapest hybrid Q50 available, there still is a difference of nearly 8k.

You still are not comparing a car with equal options. The actual cost of taking your Q50 and upgrading to the hybrid is 4400.

The base car will probably only exist as the one off that a dealer is forced to take and for Fleet vehicles.

The Base JX is almost impossible to find along with all the other Infiniti's the base version is almost non existant.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Assuming you get 20mpg on petrol and 30mpg witht he hybrid. At $3.50 per gallon it will be just under $600 a year in gas savings. The appeal to me is less about the savings and more the performance aspect of the hybrid.
Not bad.. So by the time to lease is over you have gotten your money back :D

The M35h motor actually only produces 264 lb·ft of torque. Maybe it comes on earlier? Not sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They Hybrid has an electric motor that puts out 199lb of tourqe and its instant. It is fun to drive and has more punch than the M37. I just wish they made the M35h with a stiffer suspension. The current one is so soft I don't feel comfortable pushing it hard in the corners like I do the M37s

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I hope so as well! Cant wait to hear how it drives and be able to test drive one out as well! Want to be able to push the corners as well as I did with my G!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
DO you guys know how to do math? You are comparing a base car to a hybrid which has a bunch of things standard!! $8K difference go back to school .. IT is basic Math.. Build a Fully loaded AWD sport non hybrid price $52,650 then build the same car with hybrid $54,300 so the Difference is $1650 not $8000 or $4400.. Compare the same car with the same equipment..
Now build the car AWD premium model with all the packages and it is $50,000 for gas and $51,900 for hybrid so it is $$1,900 difference still not $8,000 or $4400..

Please keep in mind that the hybrid will have the navigation standard and the the leather standard which is $2400 in packages so if you build a hybrid RWD premium (cheapest Hybrid ) it will be $43,700 but will have the leather and nav standard that is $2600 in options on the RWD gas which with the same packages is $41,900 which is a $1800 difference to go Hybrid in the SAME CAR with SAME options!! You cant be comparing a base Q50 to a hybrid becasue the hybrid will have most the packages standard so The difference is under $2000 which to me is worth it..

If gas cost $3.50 a gallon and non hybrid gets 20 MPG and hybrid gets 30 MPG and if you drive $15K miles a year then you will save $875 a year and $2625 on a 3 year lease so the hybid will pay for itself in just over 2 years!!! And thats if gas is $3.50 and you drive 15K a year and if gas goes up to $4.00 a gallon then it is exactly $1000 a year you would save if you drive 15K miles so it would take you right under 2 years to pay for the hybrid and that is just the gas savings.. Take into account that the hybrid is a beast and it is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!;)

WHere is a link to a fuel saving calculator
Save Money

1 - 20 of 32 Posts