Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks - hope everyone is well, been having a hell of a time with my suspension post upgrade and wanted to see if anyone has ideas. I've searched this forum for days around "clunking" and "clicking" noises, and while they all have been helpful, the shop wasn't able to resolve after reviewing the posts/suggestions.

Parts that were installed:
  • RS-R AWD I-Active Coilovers
  • SPL Front Upper Camber Arms, Rear Camber Arms, Rear Toe Arms, Rear Traction Arms, Adjustable Front Tie Rods, Lockout kit

Current Issues:
  • Clunk Noise: The driver’s front coilover doesn’t seem to be working compared to the others. When the drivers front tire hits a hole the C/O feels as if it’s bottoming out with a loud clunk/hollow noise.
  • It also feels like there’s another clunking noise from the front center sway bar/skid plate area. You'll hear this noise when both tires go over something like a speed bump.
  • Clicking: while turning the wheel full to the right or left at slow speeds there will be a metal clicking noise, almost feels like something is breaking/twisting.
Work that has been performed:
  • The shop has determined the CV joint is not damaged
  • They replaced the front end links with SPL parts and reinstalled the front sway bar
  • Triple checked the coil-over was loaded properly prior to putting the car down off the rack. Confirmed there is no spring-bind taking place.
  • All SPL parts seem to check out, nothing broken, etc
    • The shop is calling SPL later today to work with their support team in hopes they missed something

After everything that has been done, the clunking and clicking noise remains. I'm hoping SPL support will be able to help them but it's hard to be that optimistic after 3 days of a shop triple checking everything.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts of what else could be causing this? Really banging my head against the wall on this one, espesically after all the money that was spent for this upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
I would have the shop contact RS-R about a possible warranty issue with the front left C/O. It's entirely possible the clunk is internal to C/O. My shop had an issue with the RS-R C/O in the right rear, which was described as a clunk (note: I never heard it myself, as it was addressed before I picked up my Q) and RS-R replaced it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have the shop contact RS-R about a possible warranty issue with the front left C/O. It's entirely possible the clunk is internal to C/O. My shop had an issue with the RS-R C/O in the right rear, which was described as a clunk (note: I never heard it myself, as it was addressed before I picked up my Q) and RS-R replaced it under warranty.
Thank you - I've added that to their to-do list for today, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
83 Posts
This 👆🏾

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
83 Posts
@Q50Wolf, I am looking into suspension work soon. Had a helluva time finding a quality shop. Do you mind me asking where you are getting your work done?

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: BlaQBetty

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If a suspension is fully tightened without the vehicles weight on it, you will pre-load the suspension which can lead to the symptoms you’re describing. I would ask the shop to confirm that the tech didn’t do that. A lot of mechanics, even at dealerships, are trained on the job and may not be ASE certified or formally instructed. As such, they may not know about pre-loading. Further more, people are inherently lazy and when paid in flag hours, will do what’s expeditious, not what’s right. So they may have put the car up on a two post lift to get the job done fast, as opposed to a four post lift where they can do it right.

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If a suspension is fully tightened without the vehicles weight on it, you will pre-load the suspension which can lead to the symptoms you’re describing. I would ask the shop to confirm that the tech didn’t do that. A lot of mechanics, even at dealerships, are trained on the job and may not be ASE certified or formally instructed. As such, they may not know about pre-loading. Further more, people are inherently lazy and when paid in flag hours, will do what’s expeditious, not what’s right. So they may have put the car up on a two post lift to get the job done fast, as opposed to a four post lift where they can do it right.
I really appreciate this @SkylineDreamz - thanks!

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
No worries. Hope whatever the cause is, it gets solved for you

Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries. Hope whatever the cause is, it gets solved for you
Me too man, me too - I was so excited for this upgrade too after driving in a few Qs with similar mods.

Response from the shop regarding install/pre-load: "That is what we do with almost every coilover install, except for some certain models that require to be torqued "unloaded," so this was done with the initial install, and redone when looking over it the day you were here, just to be certain something didn't mistakenly get preloaded."

Since we can check that off the list, the only thing remaining is the coilover - shop is calling SPL and RS-R soon. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Even though RS-R's warranty process is quite involved, I'm happy to report they approved a replacement for the driver's side front C/O. It shipped yesterday and will be here tomorrow, got to love that! I have an appointment with the shop on Wednesday of next week to replace, fingers crossed we have a winner!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions/info/input/etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts