Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2 leases and 5+ years of owning 2 Q50s is coming to an end. I have been on this forum since the beginning before the Q50 even hit dealers and learned a lot from the folks on this board and hope I contributed as well (although not much over the past few years).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and good luck!

I’m a few days away from picking up an Audi S5 Sportback as I needed a change and Infiniti doesn’t appear to have anything new or updated that fits the bill. I’ve owned Infinitis since 2005 and there are definitely things that I’ll miss.

Interestingly, after reading about Infiniti’s big losses recently, I’m not surprised. My lease buyout/residual is over $36k but the value on my car is around $24k. While I enjoyed the lower lease payments due to the inflated residual (WAY better than Audi’s leases) I don’t see how a company can survive with this model and it looks like they are starting to realize that.

It’s going to be an interesting time for Infiniti and I hope they pull out of their financial mess ok - lots to offer.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. I’ll check back periodically to see what’s new. Maybe an Infiniti is in the cards down the line some time.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Enjoy your Audi. The S5 is nice. Are you leasing it?
Thanks for your contributions during your time here.

Be well!.. John

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enjoy your Audi. The S5 is nice. Are you leasing it?
Thanks for your contributions during your time here.

Be well!.. John
Thanks John! Yeah, I’m excited for the S5-something special about that car. Audi leases don’t have inflated residuals so they don’t lease very well. When I did the math, purchasing and leasing were about the same and since I can’t write off a lease any longer, I’m deciding if it makes sense to buy, accelerate the payments and keep the car for a longer period of time with no car payments at some point. We just did that with my wife’s Q5 and I’m happy with that decision. I use to fool myself into thinking I wanted a new car every few years but when I looked back at my past run of leases, I ended up re-leasing the same car multiple times so I think I disproved that theory for myself. I THINK the S5 will be the same.

One thing Audi does that I understand but don’t like is that they hit the residuals for the Prestige trim cars extra hard so they are lower by 2-3% vs the standard dealer inventory Premium+ models. The added MSRP at first purchase attracts buyers to pay more then but once they hit the used market, Audi has found that people aren’t willing to pay the premium for the higher trim so there is an additional hit for the residual on Prestige models. That can be offset by 1% with Audi care (separate purchased maintenance plan that is well worth the cost) but it still makes the lease payment very close to the monthly payment when financing.

The good news is that the buyout isn’t too far off from the residual so I could look at a lease, make sure I like the car and then buy it out at the end without the $12k hit like my Q50 would have.

So I’m leaning toward a long term finance and prepaying extra each month(I like the flexibility of the lower payment each month in case I ever ‘need’ it). With the math, it looks like I would be about even after 3 and 5 years but ahead if I pay the car off early and keep it - a high likelihood in this case.

At least the Fed lowered rates last week so the finance rates came down by that .25% in most cases. Chalk one up for timing!

Decisions, decisions. . .

Thanks again!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Enjoy your time with your new ride, one of my neighbors are strictly German cars,VW, he has a S5, and his son just got himself the RS3.

·
Registered
622 Posts
So my 2 leases and 5+ years of owning 2 Q50s is coming to an end. I have been on this forum since the beginning before the Q50 even hit dealers and learned a lot from the folks on this board and hope I contributed as well (although not much over the past few years).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and good luck!

I’m a few days away from picking up an Audi S5 Sportback as I needed a change and Infiniti doesn’t appear to have anything new or updated that fits the bill. I’ve owned Infinitis since 2005 and there are definitely things that I’ll miss.

Interestingly, after reading about Infiniti’s big losses recently, I’m not surprised. My lease buyout/residual is over $36k but the value on my car is around $24k. While I enjoyed the lower lease payments due to the inflated residual (WAY better than Audi’s leases) I don’t see how a company can survive with this model and it looks like they are starting to realize that.

It’s going to be an interesting time for Infiniti and I hope they pull out of their financial mess ok - lots to offer.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. I’ll check back periodically to see what’s new. Maybe an Infiniti is in the cards down the line some time.
INFINITI will be fine. They will be here after every single member on this forum is 6 feet under. Nissan has invested heavily into technology that will begin showing up in the next few years. The investment has clearly cost them customers and delayed new models. However with the technology revolution in the automotive industry it will pay off 10 fold.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Enjoy your time with your new ride, one of my neighbors are strictly German cars,VW, he has a S5, and his son just got himself the RS3.

Interesting we have similar neighbors then. Unfortunately my neighbors seem to always have service loaners parked in their driveways.

·
Registered
970 Posts

Interesting we have similar neighbors then. Unfortunately my neighbors seem to always have service loaners parked in their driveways.
so are you saying you may not be making a good decision ( sorry I thought it was jkay), I would be concerned. I thought of getting an S4 before getting into the Infinity, I made the right choice.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That makes sense. They seem pretty nice. Audi gets knocked for being unreliable post-warrantee but a lot of people swear by them. @Jefleds frequent loaner car observations not withstanding.

I’ve not be a fan of the fast-back trend like the Stinger and Accord. The proportions just look off to me. The Audi does look pretty good though.

In 3-5 years the electrified Q may lure you back. Please check back in with some pics and a review.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had that anxiety when we went from a string of Lexus SUVs for my wife to her Q5 a year and a half ago. Other than some software bugs for the infotainment system (I remember those in the early days of the Q50 as well) her car has been rock solid.

I’ve also been on the Audi threads quite a bit while researching her car and the S5 and other than a few early model rattles, I’m not seeing any validation that the quality of the Audis are any worse than Infiniti.

Your neighbors may have a different experience but on the whole, Audi has really stepped up their game in this regard.

Now, maintenance costs - that’s a whole different story but I’m prepared for that. Most of the German manufacturers have either gotten rid of, or paired back their included maintenance plans but Audi does offer an Audi Care plan that covers the first set of big services and frankly, if they charged $1,000 more for the car and included the maintenance I wouldn’t have really cared.

FYI, Audi scores higher than Infiniti now for reliability in JD Powers (I know, I know - that’s not the be all/end all but can’t ignore it).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
How can you measure reliably with a 2019 JDP quality report?
Do it 3-4 years later. Initial quality is an indicator to only some point. 😉
Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2,673 Posts
We're in similar boats. Except I'm likely going to Subaru because I don't want to look like a rich douchebag in Tahoe driving a fancy Euro car. I'm pretty sure I'm moving to Tahoe full time sometime soon.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I had that anxiety when we went from a string of Lexus SUVs for my wife to her Q5 a year and a half ago. Other than some software bugs for the infotainment system (I remember those in the early days of the Q50 as well) her car has been rock solid.

I’ve also been on the Audi threads quite a bit while researching her car and the S5 and other than a few early model rattles, I’m not seeing any validation that the quality of the Audis are any worse than Infiniti.

Your neighbors may have a different experience but on the whole, Audi has really stepped up their game in this regard.

Now, maintenance costs - that’s a whole different story but I’m prepared for that. Most of the German manufacturers have either gotten rid of, or paired back their included maintenance plans but Audi does offer an Audi Care plan that covers the first set of big services and frankly, if they charged $1,000 more for the car and included the maintenance I wouldn’t have really cared.

FYI, Audi scores higher than Infiniti now for reliability in JD Powers (I know, I know - that’s not the be all/end all but can’t ignore it).
Clearly my neighbors are anecdotal evidence. Unfortunately for both Infiniti and more so Audi the initial quality survey is not good news. Sadly for Audi the 2018 survey is just as bad. Poor quality is a hard hump for automakers to overcome. Kia and Chevrolet have made incredible strides improving quality and reputation. Unfortunately Audi is having a much tougher time closing the quality gap. Hopefully your experience will match your expectations.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2019-initial-quality-study-iqs

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't read any of those reports, my cousin has been an Audi Guy since the 5000, he drives a Q7 now and won't drive anything else.
Exactly. I have a coworker who loves Audi and buys a new A7 every year or 2. He said as long as he gets a service loaner he could care less about reliability. He says he loves nothing more than putting miles on a service loaner.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
INFINITI will be fine. They will be here after every single member on this forum is 6 feet under. Nissan has invested heavily into technology that will begin showing up in the next few years. The investment has clearly cost them customers and delayed new models. However with the technology revolution in the automotive industry it will pay off 10 fold.
Let’s hope! I would have liked to stay in the Infiniti family but no options so I’m being forced to move on. Can’t go another number of unknown years in another Q50 and the Q70 is so outdated I didn’t even consider it. Hopefully there will be a compelling reason to come back when I’m ready for my next car.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can you measure reliably with a 2019 JDP quality report?
Do it 3-4 years later. Initial quality is an indicator to only some point. ��
Just my opinion.
Like I said, JDP isn’t the be all/end all - just one tool. Our experience with another Audi for 1.5 years has been great except for the minor software glitches which were corrected. Agreed about the long term costs though. I might keep it for a few extra years but don’t plan on going above 100k miles or anything like that so I think I’ll be fine.

I was just pointing out that a lot of people have been ragging on the German cars for reliability but I don’t think they’ve bothered looking past the previous years where there was lots to rag on. Now it seems they are about on par with Infiniti so I’m happy about that and willing to take the chance.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We're in similar boats. Except I'm likely going to Subaru because I don't want to look like a rich douchebag in Tahoe driving a fancy Euro car. I'm pretty sure I'm moving to Tahoe full time sometime soon.
Good luck with the change and the move. Always liked reading your posts and contributions. I’m amazed other sales people haven’t figured out how valuable these forums can be for them to get customers but also to learn about the cars they are selling. I’m constantly surprised at the lack of knowledge of most car salespeople so good on ya and thanks for the years of good posts!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Let’s hope! I would have liked to stay in the Infiniti family but no options so I’m being forced to move on. Can’t go another number of unknown years in another Q50 and the Q70 is so outdated I didn’t even consider it. Hopefully there will be a compelling reason to come back when I’m ready for my next car.
I would have to differ when it comes to styling. Audi cars have always looked outdated, boring and uninspiring. Almost bottom of the barrel styling with a few exceptions. Unfortunately Audi will always be the red headed stepchild of the European imports.

As for technology. All you would need to do is a little and simple research. Nissan/Infiniti will be a technology leader in the very soon to come 2020’s.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Enjoy your new ride, like Jeff said Infiniti we’ll be around long after everyone on this board is gone lol.

And JD power is a joke, a quick google search on how the company started is very interesting.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Enjoy your new ride, like Jeff said Infiniti we’ll be around long after everyone on this board is gone lol.

And JD power is a joke, a quick google search on how the company started is very interesting.
JD Powers is certainly not the best. But I do trust them more than consumer reports. Odds are with CR the guy rating a car today rated toilet paper yesterday.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts