Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago a few were talking about ordering their EWG wires for JB4. Anyone have them installed? What is the verdict? I finally got around to hooking up my fuel wires last night and now looking to the next thing (the wires were built into my JB4 already, I just hadn't hooked them up).

Reactions: Q50Wolf

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,909 Posts
There was a good thread on it not too long ago. I'd search for it.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
It's under fuel wires, so it's not easy to find. This thread started out on fuel wires and was hijacked into a discussion about EWG after a couple pages.

Reactions: ptatohed

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep, I read the whole thing at the time - reason I finally hooked up my fuel wires that were just flapping under the engine cover. Ptatohed you were getting your EWG wires delivered and Aventis just installed his and said needed to review his logs to ensure what he was feeling was not placebo. Was wondering after a month if you guys had a review on them. I found these on EBAY and went ahead and bought them. Its just wiring so hopefully this 3rd party just copied the Burger Tuning wires. Looks like good quality with the protective "loom" on the length of the wires.

x2 Fits Q50 Q60 VR30 JB4 Harness EWG Connector Wires Turbo Wastegate Boost | eBay

Same seller has all kinds of wiring harnesses including some for our fuel wires that don't puncture the O2 sensor wiring.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Yep, I read the whole thing at the time - reason I finally hooked up my fuel wires that were just flapping under the engine cover. Ptatohed you were getting your EWG wires delivered and Aventis just installed his and said needed to review his logs to ensure what he was feeling was not placebo. Was wondering after a month if you guys had a review on them. I found these on EBAY and went ahead and bought them. Its just wiring so hopefully this 3rd party just copied the Burger Tuning wires. Looks like good quality with the protective "loom" on the length of the wires.

x2 Fits Q50 Q60 VR30 JB4 Harness EWG Connector Wires Turbo Wastegate Boost | eBay

Same seller has all kinds of wiring harnesses including some for our fuel wires that don't puncture the O2 sensor wiring.
A harness is a harness. Anyone can make one. Just take a look at a BMS harness, buy the proper components and duplicate the pinouts. I wouldn't have any problem buying that eBay product except I already bought my wires from BMS.

Between the weather and the COVID-19 lockdown here, I haven't had the opportunity to do any testing to see if I can quantify the impact of EWG wires. However, I've had a lot of time between each improvement to develop a feel of what each modification provides in the way of a power increase. My butt dyno hasn't failed me yet and improvements are more noticeable when there is a lot of seat time in between changes.

What little driving I have been doing after the addition of the EWG wires is all on local city streets however there is an unmistakable difference. The main thing I've noticed and is repeatable every time is the "abruptness" of acceleration. The default settings for the EWG wires has reduced boost response significantly. Power comes on noticeably faster as the turbos are spooling up faster. For $80, I feel it was worth it although $65 would make it more so.

What I haven't done yet is to look at my actual boost vs. targeted boost to see if I need to fine-tune the settings for under or over boosting.

Serstylz2 and ddnspider are a lot further down the road getting dialed in with EWG wires. Hopefully they will post here.

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,909 Posts

$65 beats $80, nice find!

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - looking forward to this install....seems like no matter what target is called for, the car doesn't boost much under 2500 RPM...hoping that the EWG mod gets the boost into the engine quicker. Sounds like from Avendis experience that is likely what is occurring, giving that abruptness off the line.

Those guys concerned about puncturing their O2 sensor wire for the fuel wires can spend a few extra bucks for the harness. Would be good for those still using dealer maintenance to have a harness to unplug when bringing it in, instead of messing with posi-taps each time. I don't see my posi-taps ever coming back off unless I have a warranty claim. Dude has quite a little niche he found making these harnesses! Good for him (or her).

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Avendis?

• Haha
Reactions: Scarlet RaceCar

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,909 Posts
Thanks - looking forward to this install....seems like no matter what target is called for, the car doesn't boost much under 2500 RPM...hoping that the EWG mod gets the boost into the engine quicker. Sounds like from Avendis experience that is likely what is occurring, giving that abruptness off the line.

Those guys concerned about puncturing their O2 sensor wire for the fuel wires can spend a few extra bucks for the harness. Would be good for those still using dealer maintenance to have a harness to unplug when bringing it in, instead of messing with posi-taps each time. I don't see my posi-taps ever coming back off unless I have a warranty claim. Dude has quite a little niche he found making these harnesses! Good for him (or her).
jcb,
Are you saying the ebay seller makes something for the fuel wires so you don't need to puncture your O2 wire? Link please? TY

· Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
234 Posts

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What FD3TE46 said. I posted the link on the Fuel Wire thread also.

Reactions: ptatohed

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,909 Posts

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool - let us know how it works out.

· Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
959 Posts
EWG is great, boost comes on stronger. Have to re-learn how to launch when it's enabled.

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Received the EBAY EWG wires yesterday and installed them. Impressed with the quality of the wires. Bad news is, my car is no longer happy from a timing standpoint. I do feel the surge of boost in my butt dyno as they say, but I think the car pulling timing is more than offsetting any boost increase. I could hear audible knock with the window down. I run Map 5 and the car was running great, but last night testing after EWG wires install, the car was not happy - slower overall despite the surge of power you feel when 1st punching it. Reviewed the logs and my AFR was extra lean - in the 15's. I was hoping that was the problem so I turned off the fuel wires this morning. AFR back to normal 12-13's, but the knock was still there. Car even pulled throttle down to 30% a couple of times while I was holding 100 on the pedal. Not sure if this is some sort of fail-safe? One more variable is that I filled up with 93 octane from a local QT. I was very low on gas so didn't go to BP or Shell like I normally would. I may try to dump a bottle of Octane boost in and see if the knock goes away.

· Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
959 Posts
Received the EBAY EWG wires yesterday and installed them. Impressed with the quality of the wires. Bad news is, my car is no longer happy from a timing standpoint. I do feel the surge of boost in my butt dyno as they say, but I think the car pulling timing is more than offsetting any boost increase. I could hear audible knock with the window down. I run Map 5 and the car was running great, but last night testing after EWG wires install, the car was not happy - slower overall despite the surge of power you feel when 1st punching it. Reviewed the logs and my AFR was extra lean - in the 15's. I was hoping that was the problem so I turned off the fuel wires this morning. AFR back to normal 12-13's, but the knock was still there. Car even pulled throttle down to 30% a couple of times while I was holding 100 on the pedal. Not sure if this is some sort of fail-safe? One more variable is that I filled up with 93 octane from a local QT. I was very low on gas so didn't go to BP or Shell like I normally would. I may try to dump a bottle of Octane boost in and see if the knock goes away.
Did you update all of the settings in the user adjustments? Try the stock suggestions first, then try bumping FF up to 60.

User Adjustment Page:
1) 50 across the board under duty bias. This represents a "neutral" base EWG mapping meaning no WGDC is added or subtracted. The base mapping is shown under the FF curve in logs. Cars that tend to over boost will need lower values (e.g. 40 or 45 across the board), and other vehicles that are under boosting will need higher values. The profile can be set by RPM to reduce top end boost taper for example.
2) FF set to 50, this factor is multiplied by duty bias to globally scale up or down the FF mapping.
3) PID gain set to 20, this determines the dynamic WGDC range, how far above or below FF WGDC can go based on boost over/under targeting.
4) Auto Shift Reduction set to 60, this determines how much WGDC is cut during shifts to tune turbine speed change related boost spiking.
5) RS models should also set options/FUD bit6 on, this setting increases the modeled flash boost target (DMEBT) which together with ECU_PSI form the basis of the PID control on WGDC.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Did you update all of the settings in the user adjustments? Try the stock suggestions first, then try bumping FF up to 60.

User Adjustment Page:
1) 50 across the board under duty bias. This represents a "neutral" base EWG mapping meaning no WGDC is added or subtracted. The base mapping is shown under the FF curve in logs. Cars that tend to over boost will need lower values (e.g. 40 or 45 across the board), and other vehicles that are under boosting will need higher values. The profile can be set by RPM to reduce top end boost taper for example.
2) FF set to 50, this factor is multiplied by duty bias to globally scale up or down the FF mapping.
3) PID gain set to 20, this determines the dynamic WGDC range, how far above or below FF WGDC can go based on boost over/under targeting.
4) Auto Shift Reduction set to 60, this determines how much WGDC is cut during shifts to tune turbine speed change related boost spiking.
5) RS models should also set options/FUD bit6 on, this setting increases the modeled flash boost target (DMEBT) which together with ECU_PSI form the basis of the PID control on WGDC.
These are the user adjustments I made initially and the car runs fine. Feed Forward is at 50.

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will double check the settings. I also want to boost the gas octane to eliminate the gas as the problem. This was the 1st hard run since I filled up at the QuickTrip so hoping its just substandard octane gas.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Have you double checked your EWG wires where they terminate on the JB4 connector to make sure you have them in the correct pin positions?

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was very careful with the placement - in fact this took longer than hooking up the harness to the EWGs. Seems like the JB4 was working and responding properly to the settings. Log shows the EWG settings at the top correctly. I definitely feel a difference, just in offsetting ways. The peak boost is up about 1 lb on the same map so the EWG is having an effect. I am getting no errors on JB4 or via Check Engine/OBD. Going to change one variable at a time until I figure it out. 1st was shutting off fuel wires to get a richer AFR. Knock still there. Next step is to boost the fuel octane. If that doesn't work I will start tinkering with EWG settings. I was able to eliminate the knock going to Map 3 so that SEEMS to point to fuel. Fingers crossed because I really don't want to have to drop boost mapping to run the EWG control. Seems like a step backward if so.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts