Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,915 Posts
Just got the EWG wires from EBay. Slightly different color coding, but instructions were included as to which pin goes to which position. Also the seller included a tool for removing pins from harness. Will try the install later on this evening.
chern, can you share the instructions? I did not get any with mine. Thanks.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,915 Posts

· Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
959 Posts
I just removed my EWG, I didn't have to move my pass. BOV this time. Removal of JB4, EWG and fuel wires was quicker than install by a lot.

· Registered
2016 Q50 Premium w/Tech Pkg. JB4, Helmholtz
96 Posts
Had my Ebay EWG wires installed last night. Getting passenger side was PIA. Had to take the air box out as Terry recommended. Existing grommet on JB4 housing was too small to feed additional 4 wires, so had to cut it and just bundle the wires with a wire tie for now. EWG wires are OK, but heat protective cover seems like of an inferior quality than BMS or OEM wires. One of them got loose and needs to be secured with electrical tape. Length of the wires is sufficient. After install was done, my dash lit up with tons of MIL codes, however it was too late to debug. In the morning, I've found one of the plugs got disconnected when fitting passenger side air box. Plugged it in, disconnected/reconnected the battery, cleared the codes, and that took care of it. Car is running amazing. Still to see what the gas mileage would be, as for now it's 1 gal/month :) Bottom line - don't do the install late at night.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Had my Ebay EWG wires installed last night. Getting passenger side was PIA. Had to take the air box out as Terry recommended. Existing grommet on JB4 housing was too small to feed additional 4 wires, so had to cut it and just bundle the wires with a wire tie for now. EWG wires are OK, but heat protective cover seems like of an inferior quality than BMS or OEM wires. One of them got loose and needs to be secured with electrical tape. Length of the wires is sufficient. After install was done, my dash lit up with tons of MIL codes, however it was too late to debug. In the morning, I've found one of the plugs got disconnected when fitting passenger side air box. Plugged it in, disconnected/reconnected the battery, cleared the codes, and that took care of it. Car is running amazing. Still to see what the gas mileage would be, as for now it's 1 gal/month :) Bottom line - don't do the install late at night.
I cut that grommet to fit the EWG wires but adding the fuel wires on top of that and the grommet had to go. I keep the JB4 in a zip-lok freezer bag anyway so I'm not worried about having no grommet.

I didn't have to take the air box out but I did move a harness bundle for better access on the passenger side.

I'm not sure what your gas mileage statement of 1 gal/month means.

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,915 Posts
I cut that grommet to fit the EWG wires but adding the fuel wires on top of that and the grommet had to go. I keep the JB4 in a zip-lok freezer bag anyway so I'm not worried about having no grommet.

I didn't have to take the air box out but I did move a harness bundle for better access on the passenger side.

I'm not sure what your gas mileage statement of 1 gal/month means.
I didn't get that either. I guess he's saying he doesn't drive much??

Are the EWG add-on's supposed to affect MPG?

· Registered
263 Posts
I didn't get that either. I guess he's saying he doesn't drive much??

Are the EWG add-on's supposed to affect MPG?
I'm guessing he is saying he hasnt driven much lately and hasnt been able to gauge the effect if the EWG wires.

Reactions: ptatohed

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,915 Posts
I'm guessing he is saying he hasnt driven much lately and hasnt been able to gauge the effect if the EWG wires.
Kizzle, I see you have left to install your AMS expansion tanks, per your sig. It may be very hypocritical of me to urge someone to move a mod along, lol, but - FYI - after months of procrastination, I attacked my expansion tanks last week and it was a walk in the park. I did it with my 9yo and had him do most all of the work so it took me a lot longer, but I think it would take a regular grown adult with average DIY skills 2-3 hours tops. Go for it! ;)

P.S. AMS includes an extra worm clamp in case you don't have "special clamp tools" to be able to re-use the OEM clamp on the passenger side. I was easily able to re-use the OEM clamp with extra long needle nose pliers.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Kizzle, I see you have left to install your AMS expansion tanks, per your sig. It may be very hypocritical of me to urge someone to move a mod along, lol, but - FYI - after months of procrastination, I attacked my expansion tanks last week and it was a walk in the park. I did it with my 9yo and had him do most all of the work so it took me a lot longer, but I think it would take a regular grown adult with average DIY skills 2-3 hours tops. Go for it! ;)

P.S. AMS includes an extra worm clamp in case you don't have "special clamp tools" to be able to re-use the OEM clamp on the passenger side. I was easily able to re-use the OEM clamp with extra long needle nose pliers.
Yeah, and your JB4 and wires have been collecting dust for how many months now? Even with your son helping you, it would take an hour at the most to install it.

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,915 Posts
Yeah, and your JB4 and wires have been collecting dust for how many months now? Even with your son helping you, it would take an hour at the most to install it.
I know, I know. Soon. Soon.

· Registered
263 Posts

Yeah I got burned out after back to back weekends doing the AMS HE & AMS LDPs/FI CBE. Then came the spring yard projects haha. Finally have an extended weekend this week and with weather in the 90s for the foreseeable future, I think it may be time to put it on.

Also been lurking this post because I'm debating ecuteck or continuing with JB4 + wires and just doing my research. I'm very happy with the car now so I'll just keep planning brake job for fall, debate if I want to mess up my perfect exhaust top alignment to drop the rear sub frame and install those Z1 rear sub frame collars. Also might install some BOVs so my car will go woosh!

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,915 Posts
Yeah I got burned out after back to back weekends doing the AMS HE & AMS LDPs/FI CBE. Then came the spring yard projects haha. Finally have an extended weekend this week and with weather in the 90s for the foreseeable future, I think it may be time to put it on.

Also been lurking this post because I'm debating ecuteck or continuing with JB4 + wires and just doing my research. I'm very happy with the car now so I'll just keep planning brake job for fall, debate if I want to mess up my perfect exhaust top alignment to drop the rear sub frame and install those Z1 rear sub frame collars. Also might install some BOVs so my car will go woosh!
Nice. Have fun. The only somewhat "special" tools you will need are hose pinch clamps (2), however, I just used vice grips! And, a fluid extractor like a turkey baster or similar - I used a medical syringe (Mom used to be a nurse). And, lastly, maybe long needle nose pliers. No one step was too hard but if I had to say a step was the hardest, it was getting the passenger side of the new tank down onto the OEM hose (no slack in the hose). This is where they give you the new worm clamp but, like I said, long needle nose pliers will allow you to re-use the OEM squeeze clamp, if you choose. AMS instructions are perfectly sufficient but you can watch MWH's YouTube vid first if you want. Don't be too impressed with how much more fluid this new tank holds, it's not much of an increase at all. Also, I have a much harder time putting on the radiator caps now. Also, without being able to see the fluid levels from the outside, you'll need a flashlight and also some sort of makeshift dipstick. I took a wooden dowel and made a Sharpie line two inches from the edge to make sure the fluid was two inches in depth, as required. But, it looks perty!!! :)

Enjoy!

Reactions: Kizzle2

· Registered
263 Posts
Nice. Have fun. The only somewhat "special" tools you will need are hose pinch clamps (2), however, I just used vice grips! And, a fluid extractor like a turkey baster or similar - I used a medical syringe (Mom used to be a nurse). And, lastly, maybe long needle nose pliers. No one step was too hard but if I had to say a step was the hardest, it was getting the passenger side of the new tank down onto the OEM hose (no slack in the hose). This is where they give you the new worm clamp but, like I said, long needle nose pliers will allow you to re-use the OEM squeeze clamp, if you choose. AMS instructions are perfectly sufficient but you can watch MWH's YouTube vid first if you want. Don't be too impressed with how much more fluid this new tank holds, it's not much of an increase at all. Also, I have a much harder time putting on the radiator caps now. Also, without being able to see the fluid levels from the outside, you'll need a flashlight and also some sort of makeshift dipstick. I took a wooden dowel and made a Sharpie line two inches from the edge to make sure the fluid was two inches in depth, as required. But, it looks perty!!! :)

Enjoy!
Thanks! Sounds like you had the same game plan as me. I basically am basing the build off of MHG's video and even picked up some hose pinch clamps and the fluid extractor which came in handy diring the HE install a few months back as well.

· Registered
2019 luxe RWD
58 Posts
I have c1130. Code but only Right after I connect and disconnect JB4 As soon as I install and connect J before to the car it goes into limp mode therefore I disconnect and I run scanner and I get the code C1130 what should I do ?

· Registered
2019 luxe RWD
58 Posts
Yep - Car sat for several hours but would not snap out of limp mode. I didn't have any tools to get the battery cable loose so I limped it home. I had removed the original JB4 turbo connectors and installed the engines plugs directly but that didn't help. JB4 was also unplugged from OBD port. Does anyone know any other way to reset the ECU should this blip occur again? Once I got it home I tried erasing all of the DTC codes but it did not help.Codes were 2122, 2138, 643, 222, 123, 146, and 004B, along with a C1130 ABS code! YIKES! I promise no codes before the "event'!

Weird thing was that the Entertainment system remembered by radio presets but "forgot" the correct time.
I have same issue When I am strong connect J before card does not throw codes but it is in limp mode and when I disconnect J before and scan air code C1130 pops up If the gym 4 is disconnected the car runs normal and fine full power once day before it's connected car goes into limp mode without throwing CL or any codes and I left J before wires connected and disconnected obd 2 and scanned with machine and see 1130 pop up what should I do Now how did you fix yours what was the solution what should I do and what do you suggest

· Registered
2 Posts
It's under fuel wires, so it's not easy to find. This thread started out on fuel wires and was hijacked into a discussion about EWG after a couple pages.

· Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,915 Posts
Going from JB4 FWs to JB4 EWGs is far from a hijack around here. FWs to, say, the best BBQ flavorings is more typical.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts