Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,130 Posts
Contacted the seller. Very prompt and professional. Said he mailed out a replacement pair already. That's cool. But then he had the [email protected]!!$ to say I need to pay to ship the original adapters back to him. I think not.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
I only sent him back the one harness I was having problems with. No way I was going to pull the PS harness off after the trouble I went through putting it on.

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
I only sent him back the one harness I was having problems with. No way I was going to pull the PS harness off after the trouble I went through putting it on.
Even just unplugging the OEM O2 sensor and plugging it back in seems difficult! Let alone installing the adapter.

I'll try the PS tonight. 😱

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
I think I said the wrong end of the adapter that I was having trouble with earlier today at work. I double checked at home. It is the female connector end of the adapter trying to go on to the O2 sensor's male connector. It slides on but no amount of force can get it to click. I tried both adapters and both have the same issue. I connected the adapters to themselves and to each other and they click just fine. I compared the connector plugs of the adapter to the OEM connector plugs and they visually appear to be identical in style. All I can think of is the accordion-like rubber at the back of the female connector which compresses when you plug the male and female together, is softer in the OEM connector? But then why do the adapters connect to themselves? :confused:

I'm not convinced that the replacement adapters will be any different and I'll be stuck with 4 of these adapters I can't use.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
I think I said the wrong end of the adapter that I was having trouble with earlier today at work. I double checked at home. It is the female connector end of the adapter trying to go on to the O2 sensor's male connector. It slides on but no amount of force can get it to click. I tried both adapters and both have the same issue. I connected the adapters to themselves and to each other and they click just fine. I compared the connector plugs of the adapter to the OEM connector plugs and they visually appear to be identical in style. All I can think of is the accordion-like rubber at the back of the female connector which compresses when you plug the male and female together, is softer in the OEM connector? But then why do the adapters connect to themselves? :confused:

I'm not convinced that the replacement adapters will be any different and I'll be stuck with 4 of these adapters I can't use.
To add to the consternation, the PS connectors clicked onto the harness and locked. I suspect a slight manufacturing difference between the OEM connectors used on the A/F sensor and the connectors used on the harnesses. I tried both harnesses also and had no luck. I have to think that the same problem will occur with the female connector on the replacement harnesses also. The seller guaranties 100% satisfaction so if the replacement connectors don't work either, I suppose I'll be sending them back and installing another Posi-Tap on the PS.

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
To add to the consternation, the PS connectors clicked onto the harness and locked. I suspect a slight manufacturing difference between the OEM connectors used on the A/F sensor and the connectors used on the harnesses. I tried both harnesses also and had no luck. I have to think that the same problem will occur with the female connector on the replacement harnesses also. The seller guaranties 100% satisfaction so if the replacement connectors don't work either, I suppose I'll be sending them back and installing another Posi-Tap on the PS.
He immediately sent me 2 new adapters, which I appreciate, but then told me to mail back the existing ones. I was polite but complained that I don't think I should have to pay to mail back something that didn't work as intended. I told him I am used to the seller providing a shipping label for refunds/exchanges. He replied back and said he'd refund me $3, lol. Fine, deal.

Yeah, at the end of the day, we may both have Posi-Taps in both our O2 wires.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
He immediately sent me 2 new adapters, which I appreciate, but then told me to mail back the existing ones. I was polite but complained that I don't think I should have to pay to mail back something that didn't work as intended. I told him I am used to the seller providing a shipping label for refunds/exchanges. He replied back and said he'd refund me $3, lol. Fine, deal.

Yeah, at the end of the day, we may both have Posi-Taps in both our O2 wires.
It cost me 3 stamps to send one harness back to him and he didn't offer to pay for the shipping. Oh well. If these additional harnesses have the same problem, then I'll just continue with a Posi-Tap on the driver's side. The passenger side is working just fine and I'm not going to go the effort to remove the harness and then try to install a tap on the A/F sensor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got both the EWG and Fuel harnesses from this gent. I'll be installing sometime this week if time allows and will let you know if I can get it connected.

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
I have an email saying my replacements are here. But I am too lazy to get out of my PJs and go to the mailbox right now.

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
182 Posts
Not to pile on but it took me maybe 30min total to install my fuel wires when Terry was in beta with them. They have been in place ever since - abet not typically in use following my tune. I do see the concept of the Ebay harnesses sounds like a good idea but the VR30 engine bay is so cramped I just couldn't imagine having to reach in there to fully remove for a service advisor inspection. The Posi-Tap removal seems easier but that's speculation...:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
I am also worried about the hot engine parts and the adapters. The wires for the OEM O2 sensors are so very carefully routed and clipped away from and contact with any engine parts, particularly the PS. Now we'll have these big adapters floating around, possibly without no way to secure them safely away from heat.

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
Well, I'll be damned, the replacement adapters worked. Still only testing on the DS but, now that the DS works, I'm ready to move on to the PS. So, I tried the existing adapters one last time each (for the second dozen time) just to make 100% sure they wouldn't click. No click. Then I tried the new adapters, both of them easily clicked both times (both sides). Stoked. :)

Reactions: GuyManDude

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man this dude should be paying me a commission for posting his link! Glad he is taking care of you guys when the products weren't right!

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
Well, I'll be damned, the replacement adapters worked. Still only testing on the DS but, now that the DS works, I'm ready to move on to the PS. So, I tried the existing adapters one last time each (for the second dozen time) just to make 100% sure they wouldn't click. No click. Then I tried the new adapters, both of them easily clicked both times (both sides). Stoked. :)
This is encouraging. Not sure when my replacement will get here though. It was mailed on the 23rd.

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
Ok, did the PS tonight ('this morning'? 1:45am). Not that big of a deal. I think the key is to unhook the large wire loom trunk from its bracket so you can move it out of the way (push it toward the engine) so you can more easily reach down in there. Took maybe 20-25 minutes, fiddling around with the best approach of which hand to use, and which angle to reach in at, and how to shine the flashlight, etc. I think it would take less time with subsequent uninstalls/reinstalls.

Reminder, my JB4 is not installed yet, I am only installing these FW adapters to make sure they connect and don't throw trouble codes. Every (all 4) of these replacement connector's connections 'snapped' in place. Started the car and no codes. :D

In summary, DS is a cake walk (though you'll need to unhook and swivel out of the way your OCC if you have one). PS is tougher but doable, if you unhook the wire trunk from its mount.

I do think it would be reasonably doable to remove these for an Infiniti service call, if needed. 10-15 minutes on the DS and 20-25 minutes on the PS.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
You should have spent the extra 5 minutes to hook up the JB4!

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
ptatohed, great job on the write-up. Could you also make a pic of DS connector.
Also, would be nice if the EBay harness went all the way to JB4. I've already reached out to the seller.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
Here's the latest message from the supplier of these harnesses I received this morning:

New message from: yourekillinmesmalls Top Rated Seller(1,684Red Star)
Hello,
Did you get the new harness in? I wanted to make sure it worked. I saw the thread where you said the original didn't fit and wanted to confirm on the new one. I think I figured out what it was. It looks like the batch of connectors I was sent had a slight variance on some of the connectors, a very small difference. Just enough to where they seem fine but won't click. I figured this out after I mailed your replacement, so if the replacement I sent you doesn't fit, I'll send another now that I've seen what was up. The fact that one harness worked and one didn't was the weird part initially but it makes sense now. I sent Ptatoed his replacements after I sent yours so his worked since it was the next day after yours and I had time to investigate.

I will wait to refund you the cost of shipping once we see if this replacement works. If it works, I'll refund you for the one you sent and if it doesn't work , I'll refund you shipping for the 2 shipments back. Sorry for the hassle. Thanks for the help

He's doing all he can to make things right which I appreciate.

·
Super Moderator
3,130 Posts
ptatohed, great job on the write-up. Could you also make a pic of DS connector.
Also, would be nice if the EBay harness went all the way to JB4. I've already reached out to the seller.
Will do tonight cherno. :)

221 - 240 of 269 Posts