Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sat on the toilet for 10min trying to figure out how to “upload graph” from jb4 app but failed, took some screenshots hope this helps
Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is the guy that changes his oil on a public sidewalk! If you have the built in fuel wires, hook them up - it's very easy and per Burger Tuning, they have benefit on all types of fuel. If you have to go out and buy them, install them in the JB4, and hook them up to the car, the benefits may not outweigh the effort. If you are doing the EWG wires anyway where you have to access the guts of the JB4, I would just go ahead and do fuel wires at that time as well.

After hooking mine up, the most significant difference is in the AFR at high RPMs. Mine would dip into High 10's to low 11's before the fuel wires but now holds at low 12's through redline. It does not seem to have had any adverse impact on timing.
Sounds worth it. Since I decided on the EWG wires I might as well try these out since my logs show the same pre fuel wire AFRs as you described in your post. Also going to install BOVs so might as well do it all in one swoop.

Still not a fan of the posi taps, so I decided to pick these up as well.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
This is encouraging. Not sure when my replacement will get here though. It was mailed on the 23rd.
It never ends. Received my latest harness yesterday. This time the female connector reluctantly clicked in but the male connector would not lock. The male connector is all the way in but it does not snap lock so I can pull it apart with hardly any effort. I've secured it with some electrician's tape so it's not going to separate and will probably replace the tape with a zip tie to hold the connectors together the next time I dump my OCC. I suggested to the seller that he consider another source for his connectors.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,824 Posts
It never ends. Received my latest harness yesterday. This time the female connector reluctantly clicked in but the male connector would not lock. The male connector is all the way in but it does not snap lock so I can pull it apart with hardly any effort. I've secured it with some electrician's tape so it's not going to separate and will probably replace the tape with a zip tie to hold the connectors together the next time I dump my OCC. I suggested to the seller that he consider another source for his connectors.
Bummer. Are you accepting this or are you going to ask for another replacement? No CELs using the electrical tape, I assume?

I emptied my 1/2" of smegma from my catch can during this FW adapter installation process.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
Bummer. Are you accepting this or are you going to ask for another replacement? No CELs using the electrical tape, I assume?

I emptied my 1/2" of smegma from my catch can during this FW adapter installation process.
A longitudinal tie wrap around the two connectors will be better than tape and easily removed...much easier than disconnecting those connectors from each other anyway. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. There aren't any CELs with or without the tape. The connection is fine, it's just that the connector won't securely lock and could vibrate out over time. It isn't worth the time or effort to go through another round of this.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
A longitudinal tie wrap around the two connectors will be better than tape and easily removed...much easier than disconnecting those connectors from each other anyway. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. There aren't any CELs with or without the tape. The connection is fine, it's just that the connector won't securely lock and could vibrate out over time. It isn't worth the time or effort to go through another round of this.
If it were me, I'd give it at least one more exchange. It should click. But do make sure he refunds shipping costs if you do end up sending back another adapter.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im hoping my jumpers turn out fine, but worst case I have some RH connectors and a pick and can swap them out.

Also what end are you having trouble with male or female? If its the female, the front holder might not be fully seated and may need to be pushed in. Make sure the terminals are fully pushed in and then the front holder can lock down. Also check that the inner silicone seal is seated properly on the female connector.

Also if its not too much trouble you can send me some pictures of the connectors and I will gladly take a look at them. Basically looking for some shots inside the female and male connector and around the outside of the male connector.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also wanted to add that newer Infiniti/Nissans use gray RH04 connectors for the front O2 and air fuel sensors, so if the OEM EGI harness has gray, the black RH connectors might not seat properly because the keys may differ ever so slightly.

There is also the chance that these ebay jumpers use knock off connectors. If you look at the male connector there should be the following marking behind the lock tab.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
So Kizzle, you received your FW adapters? But haven't installed them yet?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
If it were me, I'd give it at least one more exchange. It should click. But do make sure he refunds shipping costs if you do end up sending back another adapter.
I had a change of heart and had the seller send me another harness to try.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
165 Posts
So Kizzle, you received your FW adapters? But haven't installed them yet?
Should be here next week since I just ordered on Thursday. I probably wont get to it until end of July. Also depends on when my CZP BOVs get here so I can do it all at once.

I can post a initial review to this thread when they get here. Im real curious to see the construction of these. I was actually thinking about building some for myself so I didnt have to posi tap my EGI harness. Unfortunately I dont have many RH male terminals laying around.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Seller reache out to me the same day I was installing (yesterday) asking if I was having the same issue with not connecting. I'm having the same issue and he's sending a new set. Pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
If I had kept the previous harness, I could have pieced together one that will connect on both ends. LOL!

The seller is sending me a third harness today. I have to give him credit, he's trying to do the right thing.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
This is getting tiresome. Threw a P1148 DTC on the way home (Bank 1 A/F sensor 1 circuit open or shorted). I looked at the fuel wire harness on the passenger side and saw one of the plugs had backed out. It's too warm to stick my hands in there and muck around but I did push it back in enough (no click) and the DTC cleared. Evidently, getting the engine compartment hot caused the connector to expand and unlock, allowing the connector to back out until the circuit was open. Another indication of substandard connectors used by the Seller. When it cools down, I'll investigate some more.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
This is getting tiresome. Threw a P1148 DTC on the way home (Bank 1 A/F sensor 1 circuit open or shorted). I looked at the fuel wire harness on the passenger side and saw one of the plugs had backed out. It's too warm to stick my hands in there and muck around but I did push it back in enough (no click) and the DTC cleared. Evidently, getting the engine compartment hot caused the connector to expand and unlock, allowing the connector to back out until the circuit was open. Another indication of substandard connectors used by the Seller. When it cools down, I'll investigate some more.
Oh no, so this was a connection that had previously 'clicked'? Not good. Again, I got four out of four clicks and no CELs. But..... I have only driven my Q50 once for 50 miles - 25 to / from work. I'll try to drive it some more and report back. On a road trip vacation right now (with the family Odyssey).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks like my wires will get here by the end of the week. I wonder if the terminal crimps over the wire seals could be causing some terminal push out. Hand crimping RH terminals over wire seals is not an easy task to do properly.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Looks like my wires will get here by the end of the week. I wonder if the terminal crimps over the wire seals could be causing some terminal push out. Hand crimping RH terminals over wire seals is not an easy task to do properly.
You mean the adapters, not the wires, right?

I received my $3 credit from the seller for returning the two adapters that did not click. I spent 6 stamps to send back.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
This isn't what I'm seeing. It appears to me that some of the connectors the seller was/is using were molded slightly out of spec and would not couple with the OEM connectors properly. The male connector would not slide over the female connector's seal at the rear of the connector and allow the tab to lock the connector in place. The terminations were fine as far as I could tell. Some of the connectors he was/is using just don't fit properly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You mean the adapters, not the wires, right?

I received my $3 credit from the seller for returning the two adapters that did not click. I spent 6 stamps to send back.
Yeah adapters come later this week and JB4 Fuel and EWG wires come tomorrow. But like I said I probably wont get around to installing them until August due to a busy July.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
I received another replacement harness today and had no trouble with it locking on either connector. Inspecting the two female connectors, I did see differences between the two.

This is a minor issue but it does show that there is a slight difference in the pin sockets. The one on the left is the one I was having trouble with and the one on the right is good but I don't think that was the problem.

Here's what I think you need to watch out for. This is the female connector I am having trouble with. Notice that there are three rings of seals (red rings behind release tab).

Now here's the female connector that works properly. Notice there are only two rings of seals behind the release tab.

This is what I think is causing the problem with preventing the connectors from locking together. At any rate, everything clicks and locks and no CEL, so I'm happy.

261 - 280 of 318 Posts