Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

281 - 300 of 318 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,824 Posts
I received another replacement harness today and had no trouble with it locking on either connector. Inspecting the two female connectors, I did see differences between the two.

This is a minor issue but it does show that there is a slight difference in the pin sockets. The one on the left is the one I was having trouble with and the one on the right is good but I don't think that was the problem.

View attachment 93634

Here's what I think you need to watch out for. This is the female connector I am having trouble with. Notice that there are three rings of seals (red rings behind release tab).

View attachment 93637

Now here's the female connector that works properly. Notice there are only two rings of seals behind the release tab.

View attachment 93636

This is what I think is causing the problem with preventing the connectors from locking together. At any rate, everything clicks and locks and no CEL, so I'm happy.

Good for you! And good detective sleuthing!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the research. Mine were supposed to be here this week but USPS had different plans.

As for your compare, the left one looks more correct because it has the proper front holder. The right front holder looks drilled out. Also RH connectors have 3 ribs on the inner seal, not 2. But hey if you heard/felt the click and the seal pop then all is good!

Here are some pics from the parts catalog.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
I asked the seller to send me another harness because when I tried to swap harnesses to test connectors per his recommendation, the locking tab broke and it wouldn't hold the male connector in place. After driving around a bit and heating up the engine compartment, the connectors would separate and throw a CEL and DTCs. He is graciously sending me another harness. He's doing the best he can to satisfy me as a customer so I really can't fault him for any of this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How do you remove this thing? I need to get more room for my meat claws.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
You can release the black plastic retainer that's holding the harness bundle with a screwdriver and get a little bit more room.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Push a flathead into here and pull up on the wire trunk at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
I finally received the last harness and installed it with no problem. No MIL due to a poor connection. I'm a happy camper now.

If you buy a set of these fuel wire harnesses, make sure the female connector on each harness does not have 3 rings of seals or you will probably have trouble securing that female connector to the OEM male connector.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If someone has not yet installed their BMS Fuel Wires, can you measure the length of each wire. EBay seller is making a harness that goes directly to JB4 and needs the wire lengths.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If I recall correctly, the fuel wires built into my JB4 were just nearly the same as the length of the JB4 boost control wires.

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
251 Posts
I finally received the last harness and installed it with no problem. No MIL due to a poor connection. I'm a happy camper now.

If you buy a set of these fuel wire harnesses, make sure the female connector on each harness does not have 3 rings of seals or you will probably have trouble securing that female connector to the OEM male connector.
Now on to the real performance/maintenance mod - WMI :cool:

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts

·
Registered
2016 infiniti q50 premium 3.0t
13 Posts
So, to all you fuel wire users: I've seen two opinions regarding their use on pump gas. If I'm just running 92-93 octane gas, are fuel wires worth the money? What's the consensus?
Yes it is worth it to me, but its up to the user. Its something you won't really feel, but more so a mental block imho. I haven't run ethanol in my Q and don't think I ever will..im on map 6 with tapered boost, 5psi in the lower rpms

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
If someone has not yet installed their BMS Fuel Wires, can you measure the length of each wire. EBay seller is making a harness that goes directly to JB4 and needs the wire lengths.
Know someone who hasn't installed his wires yet? Hmm, nope, no, nuh-uh, don't know anyone like that. :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
The driver side is just under 2 feet. The passenger side is 63 inches.

I just noticed something. There is a little inline resistor in the shorter driver side wire. Burger doesn't say anything about it on their site nor can you see it in their pic. I don't know what ohms the resister is, it is heat shrinked.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
1K Ohm resistor.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
165 Posts

Finally got mine after it sat in a Florida post office for over a week (not sellers fault, he dropped it off the day after purchase).

Anyways connectors, terminal pin alignment, and terminal crimps look good. Looks like a decent product. I ended up getting one of each type of orange inner seal (1x2 rib and 1x3 rib connector assembly). I tested the fit of each female connector to the male side and everything fit well. Hopefully it goes in well when I install in the vehicle and passes the click/pull/pull method.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Finally got mine after it sat in a Florida post office for over a week (not sellers fault, he dropped it off the day after purchase).

Anyways connectors, terminal pin alignment, and terminal crimps look good. Looks like a decent product. I ended up getting one of each type of orange inner seal (1x2 rib and 1x3 rib connector assembly). I tested the fit of each female connector to the male side and everything fit well. Hopefully it goes in well when I install in the vehicle and passes the click/pull/pull method.

View attachment 93906
View attachment 93907
When I had the pair of connectors that did not work, they plugged into each other (and into themselves), but not into the car. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
When I had the pair of connectors that did not work, they plugged into each other (and into themselves), but not into the car. Good luck.
Likewise.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Likewise.
I guess I'll find out in a few weeks when I have a free weekend to do it.

Which side is easier to connect driver or passenger? Im guessing driver side is easier and I should put the 2 ribbed inner seal connector on the passenger and have easier access to driver side when/if it doesnt fit.

281 - 300 of 318 Posts