Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Hello all, I just purchased a 2019 Q50SS and was wondering if someone could help me with the logging portion. This is a Map6 log
Your log should be a WOT pull in 3rd gear to redline only. Since you have a low-output VR30, I'd suggest sticking with the stock maps instead of using map 6. Map 6 is better suited for the high-output VR30 where you have less wiggle room for additional boost and may require some tapering of the boost to stay in the sweet spot of turbo's efficiency curve.

What is the octane number of the gas you use? That will determine how much boost you can safely add also. I would suggest you start with map 2 (+5 PSI) and log a WOT pull in 3rd gear. Post your graph here for interpretation. If map 2 looks good, then move up to map 3 and post the graph. Unless you have higher than 93 octane gas available, you may find map 3 (+5.5 PSI) is as high as you can safely go. There's the option of mixing E85 with your gas to increase octane number but that's something for a later time IMHO.

Reactions: jcb

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 93 octane here in Texas, I’ll make sure to post a WOT 3rd gear pull. Based on the graph shown it’s not knocking and nothing is terrible with the timing while pushing 6 PSI?

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,706 Posts
Good advice from Avedis. We can't really tell if the car is potentially knocking without a proper pull as Avedis described above. That said, you should be fine using Map 3 on a Non RedSport model. The +6 you had in Map 6 should not have been a problem either, but reviewing a proper log is the only way to tell for sure how the car is handling the extra boost.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
I have 93 octane here in Texas, I’ll make sure to post a WOT 3rd gear pull. Based on the graph shown it’s not knocking and nothing is terrible with the timing while pushing 6 PSI?
Your graph is too messy to properly interpret. I wouldn't determine its safety based on it.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Assuming that’s not a good thing, do I go down in PSI?
Timing that low runs the risk of engine knock. Drop down to map 3 and post up.

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,706 Posts
Yeah that is a weird looking log. Boost does not seem to climb as fast as it should either. While I agree with Avedis, I would go further and suggest you drop to Map 1 and get us a clean pull to look at.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Yeah that is a weird looking log. Boost does not seem to climb as fast as it should either. While I agree with Avedis, I would go further and suggest you drop to Map 1 and get us a clean pull to look at.
Probably a good idea.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Unsure what map this was, I’ll do a Map1 pull during my lunch. This was from yesterday evening
ign1 is too low starting at about 3200 RPM.

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,706 Posts
If you were racing weren't you at full throttle? Probably not a good idea to be racing it until you get your JB4 settings lined out. Looks like your boost is not coming on as fast as it should. It could be the ECU trying to protect the engine because the timing values are very low....not sure.

ECU is going to control the wastegates. JB4 has wastegate wire add-ons that can provide quicker onset of boost, but it is not part of the standard JB4 package.

Unsure what map this was, I’ll do a Map1 pull during my lunch. This was from yesterday evening
Looks very similar to the one already reviewed by Avedis, so guessing it is the same Map. Post the Map 1 pull when you have a chance.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you were racing weren't you at full throttle? Probably not a good idea to be racing it until you get your JB4 settings lined out. Looks like your boost is not coming on as fast as it should. It could be the ECU trying to protect the engine because the timing values are very low....not sure.

ECU is going to control the wastegates. JB4 has wastegate wire add-ons that can provide quicker onset of boost, but it is not part of the standard JB4 package.

Looks very similar to the one already reviewed by Avedis, so guessing it is the same Map. Post the Map 1 pull when you have a chance.
Will do, I also have fuel wires that are not wired up yet. Will post map1 in about 2-3 hours!

· Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,706 Posts
This was helpful. The timing curve is higher on the scale, but still low for just Map 1 on 93 Octane. What brand of fuel are you using? I would try another brand and see if you can get some improvement. I just did a Map 5 pull. You see my Ign1 field stays between 5 and 10. Yours even on map 1 is going down into the 3's. I use 93 pump gas and stick with a brand that works consistently for me. My signature shows I have Water Meth injection also, but it is not on the car right now.

Rectangle Font Slope Line Parallel
Map 5 log

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This was helpful. The timing curve is higher on the scale, but still low for just Map 1 on 93 Octane. What brand of fuel are you using? I would try another brand and see if you can get some improvement. I just did a Map 5 pull. You see my Ign1 field stays between 5 and 10. Yours even on map 1 is going down into the 3's. I use 93 pump gas and stick with a brand that works consistently for me. My signature shows I have Water Meth injection also, but it is not on the car right now.

View attachment 113740 Map 5 log
Currently, I have 93 HEB Gas in the car. I had just got the car and it might still have some gas that the dealership filled up. I'm almost empty so Ill try and suck the car dry and put some raceway gas in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts