Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install my jb4 on my SS. I removed the fuse panel to gain access to the firewall plug. My 2018 looks different and I had to romove insulation material to gain access to the plug.

I need help getting the plug loose or prying it open. The space is very tight on either side and I have large hands I need help getting the wire threw as I am worried I will damage the cable.

Can someone with experience installing this give me advice how to get past the plug.

I would still have to remove it before and after oil changes and currently can’t get past the firewall plug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am getting ready to install my jb4 on my SS. I removed the fuse panel to gain access to the firewall plug. My 2018 looks different and I had to romove insulation material to gain access to the plug.

I need help getting the plug loose or prying it open. The space is very tight on either side and I have large hands I need help getting the wire threw as I am worried I will damage the cable.

Can someone with experience installing this give me advice how to get past the plug.

I would still have to remove it before and after oil changes and currently can’t get past the firewall plug.
You could always do the 5 minute install via the door jam -> fender -> hood. Boost In Motion has a video on youtube about how to do it. It also makes taking it off (for service) much easier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen all the installation videoes including that one. I am concerned the constant opening and closing of the door will end up damaging or crimping the cable.

I am extremely close I already removed the insulation to expose the plug I just need help from someone with experience using the firewall method

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
I have seen all the installation videoes including that one. I am concerned the constant opening and closing of the door will end up damaging or crimping the cable.

I am extremely close I already removed the insulation to expose the plug I just need help from someone with experience using the firewall method
I did this alternate cable routing months ago and there is no issue with damaging the cable. I'd say the probability of damaging the cable is a lot less than not getting the grommet properly re-seated and have a water leak problem. I've seen that reported here at least once.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That will be my last resort. I am going to go to the hardware store tommorow and look for a thin hollow metal tube that I can perminatly pass threw the grommet.

My idea is if I am able to pass a small hollow tube threw it I can take the cable on and off before any wariented work is being performed.

My jb4 won’t arrive until Thursday so I am not sure how thin the tube can be yet.

I will post about it, if it works installing and uninstalling would be a 5 minute process.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,212 Posts
Boost in motion's door jam install makes taking it out b4 going to the dealer easy. It's IMHO the best way if you use GOOD clips and clean the paint with alcohol first. Big risk of chafing if you just put it between the grommet rubber and firewall. Some people do that!
I agree with Avedis53 100%. It's an easy in and out for dealership visits. It's safe. Try it first n see if there is ANY issues with the cable. I doubt you will have any.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I had no issues with the firewall plug method. I peeled the plug back from the top - push down at the 12 o'clock position and away from the firewall (I allowed the plug to be ajar between the 9 & 12 o'clock position). After you route the wire from the interior to past the firewall (I enlisted the help of my neighbor to snag the terminal after I pushed it past the plug), I moved the wire to the bottom of the firewall plug, to minimize the chance for water ingress. Reseat the plug after moving the wire exit at the 6 o'clock position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update so I tried my idea of setting a small tube that would allow me to pull the cable threw and back off whenever needed. I used a piece of flexible plumbing hose threw the side of the plug. Makes installing the wire a breeze as far as passing it threw by yourself but the plug gets also pushed out about 1/3 with it.

So my jb4 arrives tomorrow I think I will end up sticking to the original way and pushing the plug back in I don't want to have the plug not fully in place.

I still like this better than the door method I cant see any way of running it that it will not get crimped down on each time you open and close the door even if its just by a rubber weather seal cant be good long run.

The instructions other member's gave are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I did this alternate cable routing months ago and there is no issue with damaging the cable. I'd say the probability of damaging the cable is a lot less than not getting the grommet properly re-seated and have a water leak problem. I've seen that reported here at least once.
Tin Man...are yoi still running your JB4 this way without issues?

and amy pics of how you secured it in place?

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you're concerned with the plug size, you could always pull the pins and run the wires, then reconnect to the plug on the 'other side' of the firewall. They make tools to remove them, but you probably could find something in the garage that'd work, or even a paperclip. Typically, each terminal just needs the tab pulled up (pushed) to release it.

Obviously, first step is to mark what wire goes into which terminal on the plug!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts

Yep. Nope. The Spud has pictures of his cable run posted though.

It's so much simpler than futzing around with that grommet while standing on your head.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,032 Posts

I recently ran mine through the fender/door jam instead of the firewall grommet. In my view, it has a zero % chance of getting pinched/lacerated. It's not near any moving parts and I think the only location where the door touches the JB4 cable is at the squishy rubber weather trim.

I'll probably redo the electrical tape with cable tie adhesive mounts like Aved suggested.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
I recently ran mine through the fender/door jam instead of the firewall grommet. In my view, it has a zero % chance of getting pinched/lacerated. It's not near any moving parts and I think the only location where the door touches the JB4 cable is at the squishy rubber weather trim.

I'll probably redo the electrical tape with cable tie adhesive mounts like Aved suggested.

View attachment 95812 View attachment 95813 View attachment 95814
This is the easiest and best way to route the OBDII cable.

·
Registered
183 Posts

View attachment 95812 View attachment 95813 View attachment 95814
Hey you finally got around to putting it on!

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I did not need to remove any fuse cover, insulation or anything. Use a screwdriver to push the grommet out from cabin side. Pass the cable through with ease, push grommet back into place from engine bay side. Connect everything up. I zip tied the JB4 and extra wire length to a hard line so it couldn’t move/rattle. Took 10 mins in total to install super simple.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Forgot to mention that you could also apply dielectric grease on the plug to help lube it for easier passing. It's a good for rubber, too...fwiw, don't use 'vaseline' though, as that degrades rubber.

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts