Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
301 - 320 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Stock ECU tries to deliver a richer mix of high 10's low 11's. The JB4 fuel wires main function is to lean out the mix to a target of low 12's. BMS tuners believe this delivers more power but is still a safe level. I have tons of respect for DDNSpider (as you can see I copied his whole JB4 setup and even his pedal tuner). He has debated for a richer AFR than the BMS targets. When I reviewed the logs you posted, it looked pretty typical stock ECU to me.
Just to be clear, if you're running stockish boost then sure you can lean it out and make a little more power.....but who stays at map 1? :) My tuning experience comes from actual tuning ECU's, not point and click like a JB4. I define the AFR curve. I've also seen a ton of logs from Ecutek tunes like AMS, Racebox, etc. so I can see what their target AFR is. On this platform, when you start trying to really up the boost (~17 psi and up) you're going to want a richer AFR or you will neuter your timing and have a higher chance to pick up knock. Rich knock is also a real thing too, but we're not going to discuss that here ;).

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
806 Posts
Sweet, thanks a ton for looking over those logs guys, I'll come back later today with a proper 3rd/4th gear log.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,027 Posts
OK....just so you don't get worried on AFR - early in a pull you will see values higher/leaner values than we talked about here. I am still learning the "why's" of this, but it is referred to as lean spool and you will see it as the boost ramps up. This is normal. The target values of high 10's to mid 12's is where the AFR will settle after your boost is fully built...can be as high as 4500 to 5k RPM before it levels off. I have seen it on nearly every log, whether its set to a conservative or aggressive boost level.

·
Registered
806 Posts
JB4 Log Review
A note for @jcb, @Ddnspider, and @Avedis53: Sorry for the late response, ended up having a longer day than usual yesterday so the drive back was chill. Today, I managed to snag a few logs as suggested to look over - all map3.

Logs:
  1. Mexico Pull (DataZap): Focus on the very beginning, I let the log go too long. It's the 3rd-4th gear 2500rpm-5500rpm pull at the start.
  2. Brake Boost 0-60mph Launch (DataZap): I do not like doing brake boosted launches, but I figured that between seeing boost pressure and having AWD it was okay to do one. I launched around 1psi. IAT starts high because I was idling and have a stock HX.
Questions:
  • Is speed on the JB4 correct or is it calculated by gear and subject to bad data? I am noticing strange readings around up/downshifts as you can see in the 3rd/4th gear pull when I shift into 5th. I did not brake from 105 to 50mph instantly.
  • How do my numbers look overall. Want to make sure she is fairing okay. It feels great and the power is nice. Typically ride around in Map2.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I can tell you its time for a heat exchanger ;). Starting the 0-60 with 116* charge air coolant temps is not the way to make power. Otherwise looks fine, no big timing drops and stays above 5*. Boost is really just stock RS levels. Speed should be a default OBD2 parameter that is read from the ECU, it shouldn't be calculated.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,027 Posts
I can tell you its time for a head exchanger ;). Starting the 0-60 with 116* charge air coolant temps is not the way to make power.
Ok back to school for me...I thought transf field was transmission fluid temp? Is it charge air?

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,027 Posts
Questions:
  • Is speed on the JB4 correct or is it calculated by gear and subject to bad data? I am noticing strange readings around up/downshifts as you can see in the 3rd/4th gear pull when I shift into 5th. I did not brake from 105 to 50mph instantly.
  • How do my numbers look overall. Want to make sure she is fairing okay. It feels great and the power is nice. Typically ride around in Map2.
JB4 stacks logs so it likely stopped logging then picked back up where you see the 105 to 50 mph transition. Other log data doesn't match up either, like RPM, Temps, Boost etc. Maybe you stopped it and then restarted logging or maybe a blip of some sort. Speed should be from the ECU, but it is different source than the cluster. Mine is a couple of MPH lower in ECU vs the cluster.

As DDNSpider said, your log numbers look great except temps. Looks like ambient temps were very hot when you pulled the log so it would be very difficult for your stock cooling to keep temps down. One thing I noticed is that your fuel trims were very tame in the 3rd gear pull - very few values in the 40's. AFR got to high 10, low 11 where stock ECU likes to go. On your zero to sixty its a different story...trims max at 44 quite a bit during the pull and AFRs stay near 12. This might have something to do with how hot it was...maybe calling for richer mix to help offset some of the heat? That is just me guessing though. Something to keep an eye on in future logs.

Based on what is there, my guess is that you will be able to go Map 4 or even Map 5 for your drag night. Hopefully ambient temps will be lower! I would not advise doing hard pulls in the extreme heat if you can avoid it.

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Ok back to school for me...I thought transf field was transmission fluid temp? Is it charge air?
Yep, BMS screwed up and refused to change the ID of the parameter. Trans temp is charge air coolant temp. Not as good as actual air temp but gives you an indication as to how how the incoming air is.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,027 Posts
Yep, BMS screwed up and refused to change the ID of the parameter. Trans temp is charge air coolant temp. Not as good as actual air temp but gives you an indication as to how how the incoming air is.
Thanks - ALWAYS LEARNING! I was going to ask you where it is measuring but instead I looked it up and found the video below - always liked that guy's videos as opposed to Boost in Motion.

Anyway so this is coolant running to the water-air intercoolers that sit on top of the engine. My (actually yours DDNSpider) WMI setup is cooling the air further from there but is not measured anywhere.

Good to know that transf is a valuable field to monitor - going on my main app screen immediately!

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Dont expect there to be a way to measure actual cooling impact from WMI. Air temp sensors are not designed that way except in extreme instances which are also costly. Most "fast acting" sensors still take seconds to transition temps. As long as the kit is spraying you're getting the benefit. Just dont trust anyone saying their kit dropped XX*F. I actually just talked to Mark Roberts about this very thing when the charge air coolant temp sensor fails, does the ECU do anything to account for this. He said it does not. So its more of an idiot light lol.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I can tell you its time for a head exchanger ;). Starting the 0-60 with 116* charge air coolant temps is not the way to make power. Otherwise looks fine, no big timing drops and stays above 5*. Boost is really just stock RS levels. Speed should be a default OBD2 parameter that is read from the ECU, it shouldn't be calculated.
JB4 stacks logs so it likely stopped logging then picked back up where you see the 105 to 50 mph transition. Other log data doesn't match up either, like RPM, Temps, Boost etc. Maybe you stopped it and then restarted logging or maybe a blip of some sort. Speed should be from the ECU, but it is different source than the cluster. Mine is a couple of MPH lower in ECU vs the cluster.

As DDNSpider said, your log numbers look great except temps. Looks like ambient temps were very hot when you pulled the log so it would be very difficult for your stock cooling to keep temps down. One thing I noticed is that your fuel trims were very tame in the 3rd gear pull - very few values in the 40's. AFR got to high 10, low 11 where stock ECU likes to go. On your zero to sixty its a different story...trims max at 44 quite a bit during the pull and AFRs stay near 12. This might have something to do with how hot it was...maybe calling for richer mix to help offset some of the heat? That is just me guessing though. Something to keep an eye on in future logs.

Based on what is there, my guess is that you will be able to go Map 4 or even Map 5 for your drag night. Hopefully ambient temps will be lower! I would not advise doing hard pulls in the extreme heat if you can avoid it.
Thanks a ton for the input guys, I guess a HX is next on my to-do list! Yeah, weather has been insane here. Hoping for better performance once we get back down to ~70F.

Curious though, what do IAT temps look like with a HX? What about when idling?

·
Registered
806 Posts
JB4 stacks logs so it likely stopped logging then picked back up where you see the 105 to 50 mph transition.
They should have added a counter to the log that gets incremented when a log is stacked so you can attribute log inaccuracies to stacking. Very strange.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sweet, should I try running an E15 blend or is pump 93 okay for maps 4 & 5? Thankfully, the strip doesn't open until 5pm so I should be alright as I can get on temps.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,703 Posts
IAT should not really be impacted by a HX as it is in the MAF sensor and measures air before the HX has had any impact to temps, CAT and CACT will be reduced by a larger HX, however JB4 doesn't have the ability to log CAT, only IAT and CACT.

I rewired my IAT sensor from the MAF to an AEM sensor post WMI and it has incredibly fast response to changes in temps.

·
Registered
806 Posts
IAT should not really be impacted by a HX as it is in the MAF sensor and measures air before the HX has had any impact to temps, CAT and CACT will be reduced by a larger HX, however JB4 doesn't have the ability to log CAT, only IAT and CACT.

I rewired my IAT sensor from the MAF to an AEM sensor post WMI and it has incredibly fast response to changes in temps.
Oh interesting, I was curious why my IAT temps were getting so bad at idle! So is what is the the difference between CACT and CAT? Why is CAT inherently better than CACT?

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,703 Posts
Oh interesting, I was curious why my IAT temps were getting so bad at idle! So is what is the the difference between CACT and CAT? Why is CAT inherently better than CACT?
CAT - Charge air Temp - actual temp of the air going to your engine
CACT - Charge air coolant Temp - temp of fluid in HX/IC circuit as CAT increases and exchanges heat with CAC, CACT will increase. Its more of ball park indicator giving you an idea of what CAT is doing, but if you can track CAT (ecutek, maybe hpt?) then ultimately that is what matters more.
CACT = Trans Temp on JB4.

Reactions: jcb

·
Registered
806 Posts
CAT - Charge air Temp - actual temp of the air going to your engine
CACT - Charge air coolant Temp - temp of fluid in HX/IC circuit as CAT increases and exchanges heat with CAC, CACT will increase. Its more of ball park indicator giving you an idea of what CAT is doing, but if you can track CAT (ecutek, maybe hpt?) then ultimately that is what matters more.
Okay that makes enough sense, except the JB4 quirk lol. Thanks a ton

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,027 Posts
Sweet, should I try running an E15 blend or is pump 93 okay for maps 4 & 5? Thankfully, the strip doesn't open until 5pm so I should be alright as I can get on temps.
It may not be necessary to run any E content on map 5. I ran map 5 on my Luxe for almost 2 years before I installed the WMI kit. I constantly logged and the car was in good shape on just standard 93 Octane.

This is where you will be able to confirm the effectiveness of an upgraded heat exchanger on a JB4 setup.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It may not be necessary to run any E content on map 5. I ran map 5 on my Luxe for almost 2 years before I installed the WMI kit. I constantly logged and the car was in good shape on just standard 93 Octane.

This is where you will be able to confirm the effectiveness of an upgraded heat exchanger on a JB4 setup.
Sweet, I'll give it a run. Thanks!

301 - 320 of 322 Posts