Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

JB4 Meth Injection Install-Everything stays in the bay

33K views 180 replies 18 participants last post by  Kraken 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT- Also have a DIY WMI kit located here:

Burger Motorsports recently released a fully integrated meth kit that tailors boost to meth flow and cuts boost if either the flow drops or you run empty on meth. You can adjust boost as well as prime the system all from your phone. I'm not going to go through the entire install since Burger has an install document, but I did do it differently and was able to keep EVERYTHING in the engine bay aside from the JB4 OBD2 cable and a single power wire that is hot on ignition only. I have the service manual and could not find a SINGLE fuse that was hot on ignition only, so ran it to the driverside foot well and took over the power socket fuse location (shout out to RS400newbie for this).

Goals:

I was not interested in A) running straight meth or boost juice, B) having to mount the pump and tank in the trunk, and C) run the lines all the way through the car.

Make sure you putty all the fittings to prevent leaks. I live in a hot climate so wanted the cooling affect. I also am looking for this to help keep those pesky intake valves clean and carbon free.

Here are some tips on what I did and how I did my setup:
Pic 1- Oh look, we already have a "meth reservoir" under the hood....i.e. the windshield washer tank. I wouldn't run straight meth in this tank but, since -20*F windshield washer fluid is ~40% methanol, this gets you a tank for free, just drill a 2nd hole and run the feed line from the reservoir to the pump. Don't get windshield washer fluid that has all the "bug cleaner" additive. Get the cheap stuff as recommended by many of the big time meth vendors. Make sure not to drill through the middle of the cap as there is a tiny vent hole in the center of the cap. You'll also notice the pump fits in the driver side cubby along with the JB4, FSB (fail-safe meth flow controller that wires to the JB4 and solenoid), and meth solenoid. You can't close the lid, but given that I don't have to find a place to physically bolt the pump down or deal with the PITA of getting to the pump, I'll take it.

Pic 2 This is the passenger side injection point. On this side there IS a gap between the A2W output and the throttle body. I bought a 2.75" coupler and a jam nut. Drilled a hole in the coupler, added some locktite as we don't want this coming loose, and installed. You'll also note the distribution block by the cowl behind the motor. I ran it this way so the driver and passenger side are equidistant from the nozzles so they get equal flow.

Pic 3- Overall engine bay pic.

Pic 4 driver side coupler
Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I see you’ve been a lot busy lately. Good work man!
haha thanks. Amazing what happens when I get a couple days off.

#5 ·
Make sure whatever methanol-based washer fluids you use are not colored (green, orange, yellow) as they will have glycol in them. I'd be a little concerned about using WW fluid above 50% methanol as it can damage paint and rubber. Car wax and some plastics can also be impacted by high concentration methanol.

I would certainly check the MSDS of whatever WW fluid you are using to know exactly what's in it and at what concentrations.

#6 ·
yup, only the blue with no additives....like I said the cheap stuff lol. I've never seen WW fluid over 40% and it's actually lower than boost juice (49%) so I think it's the best of both worlds. High enough meth content to be effective, but low enough not to eat away at stuff.

#11 ·
Bumping this. Had to remove the kit for some work. It's hot as crap down south and running without the WMI and JB4 was pretty eye opening as far as how much quicker the car is with it. Adding boost and running cooler and making significantly more power, happy camper.

#12 ·
Taking my car to the dyno Friday afternoon - WMI seems dialed in and the logs are looking good. Ditto the hot temps - it’s going to be a factor on the dyno for sure but I want to get a baseline with the WMI dialed in prior to my FI resonated CBE getting installed. Prior to the WMI install I was at 403whp/421tq. Hoping to get close to Terry’s 450whp numbers in late NTX July temps.

If anyone with a JB4 is wondering if they should get the BMS WMI it - stop second guessing yourself and do it. The feel of the car pulling with Map8 and a BA between 78-80 is amazing!

BMS WMI :D

Reactions: FloridaQ
#14 ·
Bumping this as I'm also interested in WMI. What kind of numbers are you getting for the 40% ww fluid? I really like the idea of having it all in the engine bay since I too am not a fan of it being in the trunk and all that extra jazz. Z1 does make a meth injection coupler kit. Only slight drawback for some is if you want BOVs it takes their place. However, you can tap them just as you did your TB couplers. I personally would prefer the meth to go in pre-intercooler at least from all the research I've done saying it makes a difference between the two. How much of a difference? No clue but I'm willing to test it out in the future. Thanks for the write up btw, I will definitely reference this when it's time for me to do the same mod.

#15 ·
No Dyno numbers but has been 12.4 at 114 with throttle cut and was door to door with my cammed ls6 Camaro. Expecting to lower those times this winter. Water/Meth injection is best closest to the combustion chamber as possible because it will pull more heat out of the chamber. Injecting too far upstream will vaporize the injection which leases the effectiveness. Also I don't like the idea of potentially corroding the intercoolers.

#16 ·
Bumping this thread... I wanted to give folks a heads-up on the use of methanol in the engine.

While the study in the provided link is for gasoline and alcohol blends, I'd be curious what the net effect of fogging the methanol into the intake tract has on engine wear. Apparently it is the by-products of burning methanol in higher concentrations that causes engine wear, especially in the areas of the combustion chamber. How high is the concentration due to fogging?

Regardless, for your viewing pleasure:

#17 ·
Ethanol and methanol are not the same thing obviously......And 100% methanol can be corrosive even though people use it for years and thousands of miles without any noticable wear. However, that is why I stick to WWF which is only ~30%, the rest is water. Throw in a bottle of HEET for race days if desired to bump the percentage. People who keep the mix to 50% or less actually report a CLEANER engine than those who just run straight gas or gas with ethanol. This is all separate from the added benefit of cleaner intake valves on a DI motor.

#19 ·
Uh....not exactly. Denatured alcohol is also called methylated spirits but it is not the same as methanol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous to discourage consumption. The main additive has traditionally been 10% methanol, hence the term "methylated spirits". Other adulterants typically used are isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone and methyl isobutyl ketone. In the US, denatured alcohol often has a greater percentage of methanol and can be less than 50% ethanol.

FYI!

#20 ·
Hey Ddnspider, great writeup!

I was hoping to pick your brain re WMI for q50 with a few questions:

1. Do u think its worth it to wmi our cars? What sort of performance and other benefits have you seen w the BMS wmi setup? I have a 2016 silver sport AWD w megan pipes, 3" catback, jb4 w EWGs and fuel wires.
2. Could you give me more details about how you drilled into the couplers? Were they silicone? How did you get it so theres no leaks? Whats a jam nut, did some googling, wasnt sure exactly what you meant.
3. I read thru the n54 forums and saw that you did some revisions to your wmi setup. Are these pics your revised setup? Would it be fine to just use 2 couplers ie 1 per side rather than 1 on the passenger side and something else on the drivers side?
4. Is it best to inject into the couplers from the side, or is from the bottom better?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all the help youve given the community on here and on the n54 forums.

Cheers,
Art

#21 ·
Hey Art glad you liked the write up.
1. Do u think its worth it to wmi our cars? What sort of performance and other benefits have you seen w the BMS wmi setup? I have a 2016 silver sport AWD w megan pipes, 3" catback, jb4 w EWGs and fuel wires. Yes. I highly prefer the WMI kit over running higher E85 fuel or messing with race gas unless its a race car. I've run +8 custom maps on my setup and seen 18+ psi without any issues of knock in logs. You get the added benefit of cleaning the intake valves and cooling the air charge with WMI, besides it being an octane booster in and of itself.
2. Could you give me more details about how you drilled into the couplers? Were they silicone? How did you get it so theres no leaks? Whats a jam nut, did some googling, wasnt sure exactly what you meant. Yes they are silicon couplers that I drilled a hole in just large enough to fit the nozzles into. The washer and jam nut ensure there are no leaks. A jam nut is just like a regular nut, but thinner. By having a nut on the outside of the coupler that is threaded onto the BMS nozzle, and then a washer and nut on the inside of the coupler, I can essential clamp them together with the coupler sandwiched to prevent a leak. A note, I did have to trim the driver side plastic outlet on the A2W intercooler so the BMS nozzle has a place to live without getting crooked.
3. I read thru the n54 forums and saw that you did some revisions to your wmi setup. Are these pics your revised setup? Would it be fine to just use 2 couplers ie 1 per side rather than 1 on the passenger side and something else on the drivers side? I did have to modify the driver side to spray pre-throttle body as I was getting a siphoning effect on the driver side that was post throttle body. That is the only change I ended up making. I should update the first post picture to show that location. The BMS kit injects in both banks since you have 2 throttle bodys. There isn't really a good place to inject a single nozzle so it distributes the liquid evenly.
4. Is it best to inject into the couplers from the side, or is from the bottom better? I chose to inject opposite of where the map sensor is to minimize any change of the liquid messing with the sensor.

#22 ·
Awesome, thabks for the reply.

A few more:
1- im in Canada and found 2 vlue antifreezes on walmart.ca, either of then seem good for the application?
2-I also read some ppl add a product named HEAT or something to bump up the methanol to closer to 50%, how has your experiwnce eith that been ie do u notice any increase in power from adding that?

3- this may be a dumb question as it may need to be sent to bms directly, but its my understanding that having higher octane lets you have better timing to produce more power, whereas the posts in the n54 forum seem to mention actually adding more boost when wmi is engaged by setting that one value up to 75 or whatever. So does that mean u can have a regular jb4 map 6 settings on map 8 when no wmi engaged, and then add even more boost when wmi engages? Or is it no jb4 added boost until wmi engages?

4- with your setup, it seems like i can just buy the base bms wmi kit for 399, right? I.e. no container for the antifreeze and no special silicone tubes?

5-I found some custom 2.75" silicone couplers for about $30 a pop, that seem reasonable?

#23 ·
Awesome, thabks for the reply.

A few more:
1- im in Canada and found 2 vlue antifreezes on walmart.ca, either of then seem good for the application? Yep, long as its blue without the additives. The lower the temp the higher the methanol content.
2-I also read some ppl add a product named HEAT or something to bump up the methanol to closer to 50%, how has your experiwnce eith that been ie do u notice any increase in power from adding that? I have put in HEET, but haven't tried adding more boost on top of what I already was running. It was more of a cushion for the track.

3- this may be a dumb question as it may need to be sent to bms directly, but its my understanding that having higher octane lets you have better timing to produce more power, whereas the posts in the n54 forum seem to mention actually adding more boost when wmi is engaged by setting that one value up to 75 or whatever. So does that mean u can have a regular jb4 map 6 settings on map 8 when no wmi engaged, and then add even more boost when wmi engages? Or is it no jb4 added boost until wmi engages? You can configure what maps the WMI turns on. I let it turn on on all my maps. But you could run a map 6 no WMI and then use the WMI map for more boost.

4- with your setup, it seems like i can just buy the base bms wmi kit for 399, right? I.e. no container for the antifreeze and no special silicone tubes? Correct, you just need the couplers that I had to buy and modify, but those are cheap.

5-I found some custom 2.75" silicone couplers for about $30 a pop, that seem reasonable? Maybe its more expensive in CA? I think I paid about $5 each for mine.
Responses embedded above.

#25 ·
Welcome to the VR30 WMI Club !

Reactions: Aileron76
#26 ·
God...another mod that I now think I need to install. Wonderful.

• Haha
Reactions: Kraken
#27 ·
Yeah - but this one is both a maintenance and performance mod; not many of those on deck.(y)

#29 ·
I know. Just let me get my fuel wire issue resolved first.

#32 ·
Got my kit today! And thanks for the updated pic, looks great.

So, just to be certain, im gonna drill a hole in the coupler, and then on the inside of the coupler screw a jam nut onto the bm5 nozzle to keep it in place, correct? Also, should i try to put a thin washer too, or did you not have any leaks w just a jam nut (w locktite)?

2nd question, im planning on drilling a hole big enuf just for the metal part of the bm5, or do i want it bigger to fit the black plastic washer too?

3rd q: the hole in the reservoir cap obv has to be as tight as possible, but if theres a tiny air leak will that be a problem? Also, i am assuming i put in enough length that the tip sits at the bottom?

Cheers,
Art

Oh, and i found a -40f blue antifreeze, appropriately called "turbo power", w the MSDS saying it has 45-50% methanol and <1% additives for $3/gallon at Rona, wo im pumped about that :)

#33 ·
That high of MeOH concentration can mess up your paint if you're using your windshield washer reservoir for WMI.

#34 ·
Get a washer on the inside if you can fit it. I used some blue loctite too so there was no concern of the nut coming off. I would only drill the holes as big as you need them to get the nozzle in place. You may have some trial and error. Don't sweat it if the reservoir cap hole for the feed line isnt air tight, just make it as tight as possible.

#37 ·
Just installed my aem wmi kit using the WWF for my tank. I’m using 17% methanol 83% water, (1/3 boost juice 2/3 distilled water) filled the reservoir up but my low fluid light is on. What is the fluid sensor looking for or how does it activate, i thought water and or methanol would “complete” the circuit to not trip low fluid sensor.

#40 ·
The washer level switch uses conductivity to determine when the level is low. When the level drops below the switch, there's no longer a connection between the two electrodes provided by the liquid and the low level light comes on. The conditions to trigger the warning are that the ignition is on, the washer level switch is on and 3 minutes have passed. The warning cancels after the reservoir is refilled when either the ignition is cycled or the level switch is satisfied and 30 seconds have passed. The time delays are to prevent the warning from constantly turning on and off due to a low fluid level and the fluid is sloshing around in the reservoir.

You are using distilled water which has essentially no conductivity and methanol which is at best a very weak conductor of electricity. I'm guessing the conductivity of the MEOH/H20 solution isn't enough to satisfy the conductivity setpoint of the switch.

Reactions: 17awdQ50P
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.