Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Burger Motorsports recently released a fully integrated meth kit that tailors boost to meth flow and cuts boost if either the flow drops or you run empty on meth. You can adjust boost as well as prime the system all from your phone. I'm not going to go through the entire install since Burger has an install document, but I did do it differently and was able to keep EVERYTHING in the engine bay aside from the JB4 OBD2 cable and a single power wire that is hot on ignition only. I have the service manual and could not find a SINGLE fuse that was hot on ignition only, so ran it to the driverside foot well and took over the power socket fuse location (shout out to RS400newbie for this).

Goals:

I was not interested in A) running straight meth or boost juice, B) having to mount the pump and tank in the trunk, and C) run the lines all the way through the car. Make sure you putty all the fittings to prevent leaks. I live in a hot climate so wanted the cooling affect. I also am looking for this to help keep those pesky intake valves clean and carbon free.

Here are some tips on what I did and how I did my setup:
Pic 1- Oh look, we already have a "meth reservoir" under the hood....i.e. the windshield washer tank. I wouldn't run straight meth in this tank but, since -20*F windshield washer fluid is ~40% methanol, this gets you a tank for free, just drill a 2nd hole and run the feed line from the reservoir to the pump. Don't get windshield washer fluid that has all the "bug cleaner" additive. Get the cheap stuff as recommended by many of the big time meth vendors. Make sure not to drill through the middle of the cap as there is a tiny vent hole in the center of the cap. You'll also notice the pump fits in the driver side cubby along with the JB4, FSB (fail-safe meth flow controller that wires to the JB4 and solenoid), and meth solenoid. You can't close the lid, but given that I don't have to find a place to physically bolt the pump down or deal with the PITA of getting to the pump, I'll take it. The pump should also be above the reservoir level.

Pic 2- edit!!! I was able to add the coupler instead of using the pcv port. I wasn't getting good misting from the pcv port.

Pic 3- This is the passenger side injection point. On this side there IS a gap between the A2W output and the throttle body. I bought a 2.75" coupler and a jam nut. Drilled a hole in the coupler, added some locktite as we don't want this coming loose, and installed. You'll also note the distribution block by the cowl behind the motor. I ran it this way so the driver and passenger side are equidistant from the nozzles so they get equal flow.

Pic 4- Overall engine bay pic.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you’ve been a lot busy lately. Good work man!
haha thanks. Amazing what happens when I get a couple days off.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Make sure whatever methanol-based washer fluids you use are not colored (green, orange, yellow) as they will have glycol in them. I'd be a little concerned about using WW fluid above 50% methanol as it can damage paint and rubber. Car wax and some plastics can also be impacted by high concentration methanol.

I would certainly check the MSDS of whatever WW fluid you are using to know exactly what's in it and at what concentrations.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure whatever methanol-based washer fluids you use are not colored (green, orange, yellow) as they will have glycol in them. I'd be a little concerned about using WW fluid above 50% methanol as it can damage paint and rubber. Car wax and some plastics can also be impacted by high concentration methanol.

I would certainly check the MSDS of whatever WW fluid you are using to know exactly what's in it and at what concentrations.
yup, only the blue with no additives....like I said the cheap stuff lol. I've never seen WW fluid over 40% and it's actually lower than boost juice (49%) so I think it's the best of both worlds. High enough meth content to be effective, but low enough not to eat away at stuff.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
yup, only the blue with no additives....like I said the cheap stuff lol. I've never seen WW fluid over 40% and it's actually lower than boost juice (49%) so I think it's the best of both worlds. High enough meth content to be effective, but low enough not to eat away at stuff.
I wouldn't count on it being blue as a sign that it is alright to inject. A quick review of MSDS's for blue WW fluids shows some have sodium hydroxide and glycols in them also. Always check the MSDS. I see that the EU has banned methanol in WW fluid as of a year ago, but that was due to the toxicity of methanol from ingestion and inhalation.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't count on it being blue as a sign that it is alright to inject. A quick review of MSDS's for blue WW fluids shows some have sodium hydroxide and glycols in them also. Always check the MSDS. I see that the EU has banned methanol in WW fluid as of a year ago, but that was due to the toxicity of methanol from ingestion and inhalation.
good thing I don't plan on drinking it lol. I forget if it was aquamist or D.O., but someone made a chart of the common WW fluids and their breakdown and content.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
good thing I don't plan on drinking it lol. I forget if it was aquamist or D.O., but someone made a chart of the common WW fluids and their breakdown and content.
I assumed you weren't from India. LOL!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bumping this. Had to remove the kit for some work. It's hot as crap down south and running without the WMI and JB4 was pretty eye opening as far as how much quicker the car is with it. Adding boost and running cooler and making significantly more power, happy camper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Taking my car to the dyno Friday afternoon - WMI seems dialed in and the logs are looking good. Ditto the hot temps - it’s going to be a factor on the dyno for sure but I want to get a baseline with the WMI dialed in prior to my FI resonated CBE getting installed. Prior to the WMI install I was at 403whp/421tq. Hoping to get close to Terry’s 450whp numbers in late NTX July temps.

If anyone with a JB4 is wondering if they should get the BMS WMI it - stop second guessing yourself and do it. The feel of the car pulling with Map8 and a BA between 78-80 is amazing!

BMS WMI :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts