Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest upgrades.

After 1.5 years EcuTec tuned and 32,000 miles I have decided to upgrade. I waited for the AMS RS600 upgrade to become available but got tired of waiting. Their RS600 kit will be more involved than the Pure turbos. The AMS kit may be better but the Pure Stage 2 meets my goal of 500 or more HP with pump gas.

Below is my list of parts & links, and the work requested. Go Auto Performance in Nashua NH will be doing the work and initial retune.

2018 Q50RS AWD build parts:

Change spark plugs: OEM?

Install Gates belt. P/N K060766A It's in my trunk

Install Pure upgraded turbos:

Install front Helical LSD:

Install RS-R DDS compatible coilovers:

HPFP ..AMS RA338:

LPFP. .. AMS:

One piece driveshaft:

Urethane Motor mounts:

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,616 Posts
My latest upgrades.

After 1.5 years EcuTec tuned and 32,000 miles I have decided to upgrade. I waited for the AMS RS600 upgrade to become available but got tired of waiting. Their RS600 kit will be more involved than the Pure turbos. The AMS kit may be better but the Pure Stage 2 meets my goal of 500 or more HP with pump gas.

Below is my list of parts & links, and the work requested. Go Auto Performance in Nashua NH will be doing the work and initial retune.

HPFP ..AMS RA338:

LPFP. .. AMS:

One piece driveshaft:

Urethane Motor mounts:

Hey John off to the races.(y)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sweet, looking forward to the results John!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Looking forward to your Complete build!

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,009 Posts
In for the congrats, in for the thank you for composing an excellent thread with links, in for the subscription.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yes, I have not found a suitable equivalent to the OEM NGK Iridium plug.

Ideally, pushing higher boost would be helped by a one-step colder plug, but I have not found any retail offering in my search.

Reactions: EngineeredQ50

·
Registered
781 Posts
How many miles are on your car? I suggest you ask your tuner if you should change your spark plugs. I’m not aware of any other spark plugs that would provide greater benefits over OEM NGKs.

I replaced my spark plugs with OEM NGKs 6k miles ago after Seb suggested that I should change them before remote tuning me. He also had me clean my intake valves with CRC GDI Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner by spraying it into the PCV right at the intake manifold. Note: my car currently has 76k miles.

I bought the OEM NGKs here:

·
Super Moderator
4,009 Posts
How many miles are on your car? I suggest you ask your tuner if you should change your spark plugs. I’m not aware of any other spark plugs that would provide greater benefits over OEM NGKs.

I replaced my spark plugs with OEM NGKs 6k miles ago after Seb suggested that I should change them before remote tuning me. He also had me clean my intake valves with CRC GDI Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner by spraying it into the PCV right at the intake manifold. Note: my car currently has 76k miles.

Any need/benefit to copper or one-step colder plugs? Do we need to reduce the gap as we get more horsepower?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Any need/benefit to copper or one-step colder plugs? Do we need to reduce the gap as we get more horsepower?
Not sure why you quoted me, and then started asking those questions... Personally, I am running the OEM NGK Iridium Plugs the way they are - pre-gapped at 0.031” (0.8 mm). I haven’t looked into Copper Plugs or reducing the gap on the plugs. Perhaps somebody else with more knowledge/experience could answer this?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,309 Posts
Copper is the best for heat dissipation and current conduction but you are probably looking at 20K plug change intervals as they wear out quickly.

·
Super Moderator
4,009 Posts
Not sure why you quoted me, and then started asking those questions... Personally, I am running the OEM NGK Iridium Plugs the way they are - pre-gapped at 0.031” (0.8 mm). I haven’t looked into Copper Plugs or reducing the gap on the plugs. Perhaps somebody else with more knowledge/experience could answer this?
Because you were talking about plugs. ;)

Reactions: EngineeredQ50

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

As I said: 32,000 miles.. 25K+ EcuTec tuned.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your build come along John. You’re taking an already great car and putting some serious upgrades on top of what you’ve already done. Sounds like it’s gonna be a real banger off the stoplights.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm doing it more for roll-on power. 10-20 MPH up to "what ever is desired", at the time. 😉

I sent Farooq at Go Auto an email to confirm all parts are ordered, but with no reply. I'll call Friday to check if I don't hear back via email.

All my mods were intended to support this upgrade. 525ish wheel HP sure would be nice.

The RS-R coilovers will be a big improvement. The one part I was missing on my IPLing the car, as the IPL had stiffer springs than the "Sport" did. I REALLY liked that car.

It took me a while to warm up to my Q50. At first it felt like a aircraft carrier but after rims, 2 piece brake rotors, rear anti-sway bar, and my FI exhaust it felt MUCH better. Woke it right up. So much so I almost didn't tune it...Then the EcuTec tune made me fall in love with my Q50.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Fair enough 🙂 Yeah I rarely punch it right off the line. More of a tip in of the gas to 10-20 then pull through the mid-range up to 45-50, which is where 90% of my driving is. It’s fun and my FI exhaust sounds awesome.

It sounds like you’ll be able to get there to 525 WHP with the stage 2 Pure turbos.

I know what you mean. I drove a 2020 RS 400 AWD today that I’m considering buying and while it felt really nice from a torque perspective, it wasn’t as stiff as my G and just wasn’t as visceral of an experience. If I get it, Hotchkis sways are going to be the first mod I do.

My G isn’t IPL, but I’ve done GT-Spec rear subframe connectors, Koni Yellow struts set on 4 front and 3 rear (on stock sport springs) with Hotchkis sways plus 19” wheels 245/40 FR and 275/35 RR and it’s like it’s on rails. So kind of concerned about it being too soft and refined but it sounds like that is very fixable. Oh I did RacingBrake 2-piece rotors too with track pads and the braking is awesome.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Depending on what I learn about my G in the morning, I may be pulling the trigger on the RS. G went into limp mode about 5 miles from home...lost pretty much all of its coolant. Not sure how yet but will post an update.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uggg that's not good!! 😳

The G37 is one hell of a platform. Lighter and at least with my IPL very sporty handling. Your suspension sounds better than my IPL.

A few mods open the 3.7 up a bit, but sure loved RPM unlike our stock turbos are now with at 5500 drop in power starts.

If I had my IPL I'd definitely do a level 10 upgrade since it loved high RPM might even be as good as a 6 speed. Good luck finding a 2012 G37IPL with a standard.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
When you start making more power you need to run a colder spark plug to pull heat out of the combustion chamber to prevent detonation/pre-ignition. When you start running more boost you have to close the plug gap down because the combustion chamber is more densely packed with air/fuel making it more difficult for the spark to jump the gap in the plug.

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 '17 Redsport, Metallic Dynamic Sunstone Red
61 Posts
My latest upgrades.

HPFP ..AMS RA338:

LPFP. .. AMS:

One piece driveshaft:

Urethane Motor mounts:

Hey JohnInNH, wow throwing down the gauntlet hard. With the aluminum straight pipe driveshaft and the urethane motor mounts it's going to be a whole new Beast talking to you.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Hey JohnInNH, wow throwing down the gauntlet hard. With the aluminum straight pipe driveshaft and the urethane motor mounts it's going to be a whole new Beast talking to you.
He'll need to get a NH Vanity Plate such as "GT-R JR" or something like that.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts