·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nice runs John!

What ended up being the issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is amazing how fast people drive to Mexico in a Pandemic just to do some 1/4 mile runs...
Gotta love Mexico, free drag strip to do some testing. I'll be uploading a new map from AMS then go back to Mexico again tonight. https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f64ce5394030/1600441841792.mp4

Q60 RS400 AWD, AMS RA500, AMS Injectors, RA338 HPFP, AMS LPFP, AMS FF Kit, AMS Ecutek Tune, AMS Catted FDP, AMS HE, AMS Auxiliary Intercooler Tank, Invidia Gemini CBE, Stillen CAI with AEM filters, Add W1 V3.3 OCC and rolling with staggered 20s Verde V99 Axis wrap in Michelin AS/3 Plus

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
What was the DA and trap speed for that quarter mile run?

Definitely a 10 second car without the extra weight.
Don't know the DA but was 77 deg and dry with 2 people. I don't know the trap speed in the 1/4.

The one screen shot with one person, was at 70 deg. Not my draggy. Farooq has it, and texted me the screen shots. I'm not into drag racing so doubt I'll get one..but who knows?🙄

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Nice runs John!

What ended up being the issue?
Still #4 piston is the 1st piston to start pinging. The 100 octane and BG44K Fuel System Cleaner should help with hard driving to clean up the carbon on the piston. Then Log and retune on 93. (I already have a 93 map) 100 is 22 psi. 93 is 20 psi. I also have a 15 psi and a 0 psi map (valet mode).

It's not done yet. I need to road tune it with AMS to finish. Oh..15 hrs on the dyno and 2 oil changes during the process.

Go Auto Performance is fantastic. The best GT-R shop in all of NE. Farooq's GT-R makes 2300 hp now and holds the top speed record at Pocono race track. 213 mph on the streight. IIRC

He has 2 locations and a bunch of insane cars there being worked on. Custom GT-R's all over the place.

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
There are 2 screenshots, but both of the screenshots are the same.
Fixed. Oops

Surprised the #'s are similar.. disregard the 1/2 mile #'s. Road limitations 😉

Reactions: EngineeredQ50

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
While in Mexico we had 3 Q's out on the road. 145 MPH was the max my car went. I beat the white Q60 an E85 car on E65 3x out of 4 hits (oops I started that hit at 3k).

Q60NH's black Q60, my gray Q50, the white E85 flex fuel Q60

Farooq jokingly said I had the fastest handicap plate in NH.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
This is a bit long but explains how much different it is to drive my car now. My VR is now like a VQ.

Going shopping and to the post office, driving on familiar roads, gave me a chance to compair the new power curves.

OEM turbos have a real big lowend bump. Starting at 2250 2300 it starts to come on pretty good and at 3K is very strong and sorta stays the same peaking at 3.5-4K, then dropping off after 5400. Good grunt. You don't have to spin it fast to get your power. Party is over at 5500.

After the new turbos I need to adjust my driving somewhat. I've lost a little at 2250-2800. Not much, it may be the same, but no longer levels off at 5K, it keeps building steadily to redline. (and beyond)

Sooo ... I have to drive with a few hundred extra RPM. At 4500-5k it's at the "go time" spot where you get kicked in the a$$.

So the power bump is no longer a "bump", but a "ramp".

The road my driveway is off of, I used to punch it at 2350, and at 5500 let off the gas, because the power started to drop, THEN hit the brakes. Perfect.

Much different now. Where it would start losing power, it's now kicking butt, AND I'm going MUCH faster, so I have to brake earlier because I'm going way to fast. Like 20-30 MPH faster than before. 😳

It used to be a spot I could show someone how quick my car was before running out of road. I could easily slow down to turn into my driveway. Now I need a different spot to show someone how my car goes.

Much like driving my VQ powered G37IPL, except 2x the power.😎

Bottom line I need to learn how to drive my car all over again. The power curve is so much different the muscle memory is all messed up.

I ABSOLUTELY need more seat time to be able to drive like I did with the OEM turbos. I'm making mistakes and am at the wrong RPM for the spot I'm at. It feels really strange. I'm in my car, but not in my car, because it's a totally different car to drive.

I'm not used to it at all. Back to drivers school for me.😉 More seat time is the answer. 👍 Then it's 🤹‍♂️🥳 time!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'm not used to it at all. Back to drivers school for me.😉 More seat time is the answer. 👍 Then it's 🤹‍♂️🥳 time!
Well, good to hear! I'm assuming you'll be running on 93+ for the near future (93 + a few gallons of 100 octane)?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I felt the same way too after the PS2 Turbos were installed on my car. Glad you’re liking this upgrade 👍

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Well, good to hear! I'm assuming you'll be running on 93+ for the near future (93 + a few gallons of 100 octane)?
I've got streight 100 in it now. A little more than 1/2 a tank left. Checking out the VP station in Springfield VT now to see what they have at the pump there. It will give me some more seat time.😉

I'll get a couple of 5 gal VP containers to fill at rhe pump. Add 3 gal to my 93+ map. I won't run the 100 map to often. 22 psi 😳

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Nope only 90 no ethanol and some other lower octane. 90 was the highest. Uggg. All the local Mobile stations are now Irving stations. 2 a mile apart? I'll try to find another Mobile station that hasn't changed to an Irving station.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got the car and we went to Mexico to get some data. Top pic is with 2 people in the car and all my old parts. So 175lb + 250 lb + 40 lbs for 465 lbs in the car..oh, spare tire and jack with tools too. 0-60 is da bomb! Brake boost launch is insane!

I filled up with 100 octane in Nashua. The car starts differently and idles rough..smoothing out immediately once RPM goes up a few 100.

After I use up the 100 I'll try the 93 map.

The front LSD was worth every penny. On launch with VDC off (the way to go fyi) the front end pulls. You can feel the front of the car putting power down with both front wheels biting hard. Some wheel spin in the front and slight spin in the back that I could hardly notice.

The car from a dig was a rocket. Low 11's, but the 0-60 was very impressive.

Now to get the parts out and take it out on the twisty back roads in VT on new pavement. (W/O the front diff rolling around in the trunk )
View attachment 95221
View attachment 95223
Wowww...great numbers John! Especially with all the additional weight.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Ordered a new set of Pilot Sport 4S's today and will have the front end re-aligned as it drifts to the left a tad.

Sent an email to FI telling them i didn't get the X-pipe welded to fix the broken welds. Kevin is OK with that.

Sent an email to AMS to the tuner, Jake, introducing myself and gave him my contact info.

I'm running my 93 map now since I filled up with 16 gal of 93. I just need the starting to catch better, idle smoothed out, and a rough spot from 2850-3300 checked. I didn't expect the maps to be dialed in 100% on the road.

This thing is an absolute blast to drive. I need to be careful..the speed creeps up on me if I don't use CC. This baby wants to go. 😳😎

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ordered a new set of Pilot Sport 4S's today and will have the front end re-aligned as it drifts to the left a tad.

Sent an email to FI telling them i didn't get the X-pipe welded to fix the broken welds. Kevin is OK with that.

Sent an email to AMS to the tuner, Jake, introducing myself and gave him my contact info.

I'm running my 93 map now since I filled up with 16 gal of 93. I just need the starting to catch better, idle smoothed out, and a rough spot from 2850-3300 checked. I didn't expect the maps to be dialed in 100% on the road.

This thing is an absolute blast to drive. I need to be careful..the speed creeps up on me if I don't use CC. This baby wants to go. 😳😎
What happened to the FI welds? Broken at the x pipe?

·
Registered
15 Posts

This thing is an absolute blast to drive. I need to be careful..the speed creeps up on me if I don't use CC. This baby wants to go.
Get a Dragy...wanna see some measurable results.

Q60 RS400 AWD, AMS RA500, AMS Injectors, RA338 HPFP, AMS LPFP, AMS FF Kit, AMS Ecutek Tune, AMS Catted FDP, AMS HE, AMS Auxiliary Intercooler Tank, Invidia Gemini CBE, Stillen CAI with AEM filters, Add W1 V3.3 OCC and rolling with staggered 20s Verde V99 Axis wrap in Michelin AS/3 Plus

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
What happened to the FI welds? Broken at the x pipe?
The welds on the drivers side resonator both ends failed. The passenger side is fine. Kevin will send me a new one as soon as they can fit one into the build schedule.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Get a Dragy...wanna see some measurable results.

Reactions: styles and dav4cool

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The welds on the drivers side resonator both ends failed. The passenger side is fine. Kevin will send me a new one as soon as they can fit one into the build schedule.
View attachment 95331
That sucks. At least they're going to replace it.

201 - 220 of 285 Posts