Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased an APR Air-to-Air Intercooler for my '21 Audi SQ5 Sportback back in December.

APR IC100026 APR Intercooler System - B9 SQ5 3.0 TFSI

With my Dad passing in January, the subsequent house clean-up (including two full roll-off dumpsters!) and prep for sale, my own garage remodel project, and work projects occupying all my time since, I finally got a moment and the motivation to disassemble the SQ5's front end. Note: Although this IC is sold in the standard aluminum color, I sent it to Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA, for a thermally-conductive coating, to aid in heat transfer and match the front black grille.

The front clip removal is fairly straight-forward when you follow APR directions, although there are a few tense moments. The front wheel wells are finished off with plastic wheel arch trim that has tabs that must be removed to release the front clip - pulling out the narrow trim takes some patience. Also, with all the screws and nuts removed, the instructions vaguely remind you there may be other optional wire harnesses that need to be disconnected. Well, I found out the harnesses for the left front and right front cameras need to be disconnected, AFTER I attempted to separate the front clip from the rest of the body. Ok, temporarily re-mount the front clip, then pulled off the clipped-in panels on the front clip that surround the cameras, and then used a small pick to disconnect the connectors from the cameras, as well as disconnect a couple of wire stays, too.

Once the front clip was free, the rest of the install was a matter of continuing to follow the directions. Some pics of the install IC, including a pic of the stock IC:
Gas Font Tints and shades Auto part Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Wood Tread Bicycle tire

Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

One additional snag, however, APR forgot to include the MAF housing which holds the stock MAF and joins two hoses which form the throttle body to IC plumbing. Whoops. Already sent a request to APR Tech Support for a replacement, which will be read at the earliest on Tuesday. I'm sure they'll get a chuckle at how long it took me to discover this omission due to the delay in the actual installation - 6+ months! @ptatohed would be proud of me! LOL

·
Registered
298 Posts
My condolences and also looking forward to a follow-up when you take out the vehicle for a spirited drive.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,707 Posts
Very nice! Good work IRS4!

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the front clip reinstalled today - no extra fasteners! :)

Left off the front camera surrounds (they snap-in) so that I can access the IC hose clamps once I install the missing MAF housing. UPDATE (7/5): APR Tech Support just responded and is sending a replacement MAF Housing overnight! Yes!

Also, I'll take it out for a test drive and recheck the clamp tension afterwards.

I also took the opportunity to change-out the chrome 4-rings and SQ5 badging for the black-out versions:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light Tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Next up - changing the chrome 4-rings and SQ5 badging on the tailgate, which will be next weekend's project...

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,763 Posts
Good for you, nice job.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,707 Posts
How the heck do you keep such an empty garage IRS??

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How the heck do you keep such an empty garage IRS??
I'm in the final stages of a garage remodel, so my stuff is either in the garage attic, on the covered front porch, or in my neighbor's garage.

Reactions: ptatohed
1 - 7 of 7 Posts