Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This from a professional salesperson selling Infinitis. He is a long time associate that is as professional a salesperson as I have ever met. He sold me my G37 Coupe 2/10 and I couldn't have asked for a better guy.

I stopped by the dealership yesterday and we spoke. I had decided this was the week I either bought the car or not after having visited the dealership 4 or 5 times since the Q50 was introduced.

After hearing "just like booting up a computer" and "figure about 45 seconds before the system is ready", I decided that I can't own a car that doesn't act like a car first and technology poster child second.

To me tech should be in the background to help make your drive more pleasurable and to enhance your driving experience not in your face with all the problems I've been reading about.

It's disappointing but until Infiniti gets it right I just can't make the purchase.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
To be honest, I'm not a patient individual. I have caught myself many times putting the car in reverse before I probably even hit the start button.

You can get the car started, in reverse, and on your way in less than 5 seconds for sure.

I haven't done any of the updates yet (I haven't had a chance to go to the dealer but I'm already coming up to my first 5k so when I do my oil change, i'll have it done then), but I do see the "loading controls" message if I try to interact with the system just seconds after start. While that IS annoying, I don't mind waiting messing with the controls till I'm at my first stop light anyways (really, all you need is 30 seconds). But whatever music you had on before would start playing immediately when you start the car.

On my 2004 Infiniti G35, the nav system took 30-45 seconds to boot up. I would bet most cars are like that today.

Oh, and I don't remember ever experiencing the backup camera (including sonar detection) not coming up in time despite my hasty departures.

It's really not as bad as it seems.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
To be honest, I'm not a patient individual. I have caught myself many times putting the car in reverse before I probably even hit the start button.

You can get the car started, in reverse, and on your way in less than 5 seconds for sure.

I haven't done any of the updates yet (I haven't had a chance to go to the dealer but I'm already coming up to my first 5k so when I do my oil change, i'll have it done then), but I do see the "loading controls" message if I try to interact with the system just seconds after start. While that IS annoying, I don't mind waiting messing with the controls till I'm at my first stop light anyways (really, all you need is 30 seconds). But whatever music you had on before would start playing immediately when you start the car.

On my 2004 Infiniti G35, the nav system took 30-45 seconds to boot up. I would bet most cars are like that today.

Oh, and I don't remember ever experiencing the backup camera (including sonar detection) not coming up in time despite my hasty departures.

It's really not as bad as it seems.
First World Problems :p

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I'm not sure that I understand the frustration that some folks have with the speed with which all the various pieces of software load on the Q50. Does everyone realize how tech heavy this car is? All of that software does not reside on chips that are ready to go at a moment's notice. Here are some ways to know that the Q50 is probably not the car for you.

If you are annoyed that your Blu-Ray disc player takes forever to play a movie compared to your DVD player, the Q50 may not be the car for you.

If you don't own a smartphone because you feel that a phone should just be a phone, the Q50 may not be the car for you.

If you do own a smartphone and are annoyed with the fact that the various apps have to be updated regularly, the Q50 may not be the car for you.

If your car has to be ready to drive before you even get in it and you don't want to invest in an aftermarket remote starter, the Q50 may not be the car for you.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I'm not sure that I understand the frustration that some folks have with the speed with which all the various pieces of software load on the Q50. Does everyone realize how tech heavy this car is? All of that software does not reside on chips that are ready to go at a moment's notice. Here are some ways to know that the Q50 is probably not the car for you.

If you are annoyed that your Blu-Ray disc player takes forever to play a movie compared to your DVD player, the Q50 may not be the car for you.

If you don't own a smartphone because you feel that a phone should just be a phone, the Q50 may not be the car for you.

If you do own a smartphone and are annoyed with the fact that the various apps have to be updated regularly, the Q50 may not be the car for you.

If your car has to be ready to drive before you even get in it and you don't want to invest in an aftermarket remote starter, the Q50 may not be the car for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know about Nissan/Infiniti but the navigation in my '08 Lexus GX boots in well under 30 seconds, as well as many other cars I've driven. Are you guys saying that it takes a whole minute for the Q50's navi to boot?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know about Nissan/Infiniti but the navigation in my '08 Lexus GX boots in well under 30 seconds, as well as many other cars I've driven. Are you guys saying that it takes a whole minute for the Q50's navi to boot?
No, I haven't timed it, but Navigation takes about 20-30 seconds from Pressing the Start Button, the issue is with the Apps and for some reason the Reverse Camera Guidelines doesn't work until all Apps are loaded, and that can take up to a minute.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts

I think I do own a smartphone(supposedly, I'd be able to download apps, get on the Internet, and take pictures), but I don't use it for those purposes. To me it IS just a phone. That said, the Q50 IS the car for me - I just ignore(now and in the future), the apps that many people say they have to have.

No, I haven't timed it, but Navigation takes about 20-30 seconds from Pressing the Start Button, the issue is with the Apps and for some reason the Reverse Camera Guidelines doesn't work until all Apps are loaded, and that can take up to a minute.
The Reverse Camera Guidelines do come on immediately if you have the tech package. However, I still feel better using my own eyes to see what's behind me.;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, you would have lost your bet against my current 2011 Maxima, loaded with tech and prem. I never even had a question or concern with loading Nav on startup. It is 3-5 seconds at most, so it barely registers with me. Maybe the Nissan's system is much simpler than the ones you refer to, in which case I am comparing apples to melons, so to speak? ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's Lexus RX boots the nav in < 5 seconds. When I went to test drive the Q50 the sales guy turned on the car and then said 'I'm going to run to the restroom while the apps load up'. I was like WTF and then I sat there watching the load screen...should definitely be <15 seconds IMO if Infiniti wants to do it right. Definitely shouldn't give the impression you have time to take a leak before it's ready that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
The Q50's infotainment system's load time has to be compared against something like Cadillac CUE or MyFord Touch.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think I do own a smartphone(supposedly, I'd be able to download apps, get on the Internet, and take pictures), but I don't use it for those purposes. To me it IS just a phone. That said, the Q50 IS the car for me - I just ignore(now and in the future), the apps that many people say they have to have.

The Reverse Camera Guidelines do come on immediately if you have the tech package. However, I still feel better using my own eyes to see what's behind me.;)
Like I mentioned earlier I've never used nor I think I'll use the reverse camera since I have them, so I also trust my eyes and senses.

About the tech packages having the immediate guidelines well, in that case it should be easier for Infiniti to fix, I mentioned it because I swear I've read before that the no guidelines until all apps load was in general.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel like it takes wayyy too long, my old Kia Optima loaded in about 5 secs... That's not even beginning to talk about how horrible I find the responsiveness/usability of the system once it does finally boot up.

I find everything to be sub-par, two big shiny screens that just leave you thinking about what could have been...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
We wait for computers to respond everywhere, but it's not acceptable in a car? Today, every car has a computer. The more features it has, the longer the wait. To expect otherwise is just wanting to complain.

The only solution is to get a pre-electric fuel pump car (don't want to wait that quarter second to pressurize the line), and pre-seat belt.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
140 Posts
It is a problem when...

If inTouch loads correctly it really isn't much of a problem. The primary controls are up within 10 seconds. The stuff that takes the longest to load is the stuff I couldn't care less about.

But...

It IS a problem when inTouch freezes up on loading and none of the controls function: climate, audio, navigation, steering wheel controls (the controls, NOT DAS). If they fix nothing else, they do need to fix the freezing problem on boot up.

Some wonk on the board asked why people complain about inTouch. Asking if that's all they bought the car for? I didn't buy the Q50S solely for the inTouch. I bought it because it's a hoot to drive compared to other cars in it's class and still maintains a reasonable price. However, a dodgy user interface is distracting. And it detracts from enjoying driving the car because it forces you to take your attention away from driving. That's the crux of the problem for me.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If inTouch loads correctly it really isn't much of a problem. The primary controls are up within 10 seconds. The stuff that takes the longest to load is the stuff I couldn't care less about.

But...

It IS a problem when inTouch freezes up on loading and none of the controls function: climate, audio, navigation, steering wheel controls (the controls, NOT DAS). If they fix nothing else, they do need to fix the freezing problem on boot up.

Some wonk on the board asked why people complain about inTouch. Asking if that's all they bought the car for? I didn't buy the Q50S solely for the inTouch. I bought it because it's a hoot to drive compared to other cars in it's class and still maintains a reasonable price. However, a dodgy user interface is distracting. And it detracts from enjoying driving the car because it forces you to take your attention away from driving. That's the crux of the problem for me.
inTouch freeze problem on boot up? Never seen it. However, I have seen Windows freeze while booting up.

Anyway, I've always been taught to let the engine run for a minute, or so, before driving off. Gives the oil a chance to warm up and circulate. Or, is that too long for the impatient?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Apparently you haven't been reading the board...

inTouch freezing up on boot up has been mentioned here on several occasions by several posters.

It has happened to me. And when it does happen NONE of the system controls respond to inputs.

That is neither safe or acceptable performance in an automobile interface.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This from a professional salesperson selling Infinitis. He is a long time associate that is as professional a salesperson as I have ever met. He sold me my G37 Coupe 2/10 and I couldn't have asked for a better guy.

I stopped by the dealership yesterday and we spoke. I had decided this was the week I either bought the car or not after having visited the dealership 4 or 5 times since the Q50 was introduced.

After hearing "just like booting up a computer" and "figure about 45 seconds before the system is ready", I decided that I can't own a car that doesn't act like a car first and technology poster child second.

To me tech should be in the background to help make your drive more pleasurable and to enhance your driving experience not in your face with all the problems I've been reading about.

It's disappointing but until Infiniti gets it right I just can't make the purchase.
It seems that your dealer made it seem like you had to wait for the car to load before you can drive it. The Q50 does act like a car first. As soon as you turn the car on, you can put the car in drive or reverse almost instantly and start driving. Whether or not you want to drive without the InTouch system fully booted is up to you, but it's not really going to hamper your driving experience at all unless you need to adjust some settings immediately every time you get into the car.
I have no issues with my car having to boot up the systems because every day I get in my car. I hit the start button and I drive immediately. It seems you've been a bit misinformed in regard to that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.