·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had the Q50 for 5 months now, and decided to start my build thread

so far what i have done is change all the interior lighting to LED lighting

second, I've done window tint with 20% transparency

added suntrip on the windshield

After, I've done a vinyl wrap job on the interior trim because I didn't like the aluminum trim
bought 3m scotch guard gloss black wrap off ebay for $30.00 for a size of 2'x

used hair dryer to stretch and make it fit to the curvature of the trim

used scalpel blade to trim the edges because its sharp at quite precise to use

had a clean cut with the scalpel

first trim I did came out nice

about to start the one of the larger trim which I first cleaned with clear rubbing alcohol to get rid of stains and any other contamination and then used a 50/50 water soap solution as lubricant for easy application and to remove air bubbles with ease

used hair dryer to stretch it and make it fit smooth, did try it with a heat gun, got to hot and while stretching the wrap, the vinyl will start to tear up and get holes and the hair dryer had just the right amount of heat to stretch it without the wrap tearing up

this corner was the hardest part to stretch and make it stay in spot, had to heat it up and place a wet rag on top of the trim to cool down the wrap and make the glue adhere to the trim

stretched this out nicely to make it fit smoothly

made first cut in the largest part, didn't tear up and was able to cut with ease without damaging other trim

had to take my time along the leather side trim to make sure i don't cut the leather with the sharp scalpel blade. What I also did was get a vinyl squeegee and tucked it between the aluminum trim and the leather and then stuffed the scalpel between the two trims and got a nice clean cut and didn't damage anything

for the cupholder, I made the cut in the middle where there was open space and got ride of the excess wrap to make it easy to cut. I did not use the scalpel for the cupholder, and instead i used my nails and that was to make sure I don't damage any of the other trim and my nails cut through the vinyl while it was still soft from the heat of the hairdryer and with the contour of my nails, the cut came out smooth and the the edges also got rounded down for a clean fit

this edge was quite hard too because of the multiple angles and needed to reheat and readjust over and over again to get a clean fit. Currently there is a bit of rough edges still but no one will notice it

the finish product of the largest trim

used the same process with the driver side vent trim. Was more difficult because the lack of space to fit my hand into the contour between the cluster and the vent which was difficult but I managed by using a box cutter knife extended all the way which I do not recommend because you need sturdy hands

the finish product of the center console trim

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

now comes the door trims. Used the same process to prep it to make sure no dust gets into it or any other contaminants

the doors were a bit hard too. Really difficult to make sure not to get wrinkles near the bottom portion of the trim. I was required to heat and stretch it quite a lot

after completely satisfied and made sure there is no wrinkles

after, I made the contours and stuffed some of the trim underneath and behind the trim to make an easy and clean cut

Finished trim of rear passenger side

finished trim of rear driver side

finished driver side

finished passenger side

final product of driver side

final rear driver side

final rear passenger side

finished product from rear

Overall, I'm completely satisfied with my trim job and some may wonder why i left the silver trim piece around the door handles, vents, and the drive mode toggle switch, well I left that intentionally because I like how the silver trim accents the piano black trim where the shifter is and all around the cup holders, also its another excuse too because wrapping that wouldn't look that great to me because I did try it and didn't turn out so well

·
Registered
236 Posts
looks like a lot of work bro!

Reactions: M992i

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I don't have the patience for a lot of that kind of stuff anymore---trust me, I've done it in the past and it was a lot of hassle and over time, I just didn't like it.

In this case, your build so far is very interesting..
Ive did vinyl wrap on my previous car and I didn't do that great of a job and kind of half ass ' d it but since I got experience from that, I was able to conquer this challenge

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is the main reason why I got the Deluxe package, I was soooo tired of the "silver" interior trim (had some version of it in my last 3 cars!).

Nice job kkthind, keep the mods and pics coming!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Good job looking forwards to your future mods!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
almost 2 years later, I bought a deck lid spoiler. It is the same as the Infiniti deck lid spoiler but I didn't want to pay $400 for it so i bought it on eBay for $99USD. It wasn't painted so I am getting painted and will install it some time this week. Will post pictures soon

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm planning to buy a separate metal trim piece for experimental purposes. My plan is to to sand it down and fill it with light bondo and paint it to match the exterior paint color

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
several months later, I've done a few mods.

first, I've changed my interior LED lights to better high quality ones.

I've also gotten a deck lid spoiler

I've also gotten an S bumper

I have also gotten all the chrome pieces painted to match the exterior of the car

I've also re-wrapped my interior trim to gloss carbon fiber and got rid of the gloss black I had before

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seeing that you are from Canada, I am wondering what the Sport Front Bumper cost you in total (part, paintjob, & install)? I have a 2015 Limited but may consider the Sport Bumper if the price is reasonable up here in Canada.
A Friend of mine took care or me. Got me a good price since he works for a body shop. I don't remember what the cost was a though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.