Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I planned to reserve a hybrid for my new Q50 lease, since ~80% of my driving is local. I don't have long commute to work, and the lease probably will b 10K/yr. However some friends are totally AGAINST hybrid for lease, saying since i will only keep/lease the car for ~3 yrs, I won't get my money worth. The only advantage would be "feeling good that u r driving a 'green' car"!:D

What do you think?

(Btw, I'm not a "sporty" type driver, and actually prefer a smoother ride if possible. :p Does hybrid or not make any difference on the ride? )

Thanks in advance for your comments! I know I can get a lot better info/advices here than my local dealer! - Sometimes I wonder if they do their homework... :(

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Up until this car, I'd have given you the same advice as your friends. In this case though, the price delta is much smaller than in the past. But with the Q50, a comparably equipped Hybrid vs. gas is only about $3K more (only $2100, if fully loaded).

At those numbers, and with gas at $4/gal, payoff at only 10K miles/year will be just about the length of your lease (I figured about 3.5 years). But I figured that based on a 10mpg difference and that's if you're trying to recoup the full $3K. But you aren't recouping the full $3K. You're only paying a portion of that. Plus, if you do mostly city driving, the fuel savings are more pronounced.

My expectation is that this will be one of the first hybrids where it even makes economic sense on a lease. And if you end up keeping the car past the end of the lease, you'll come out way ahead.

As for smoother ride - the ride won't be any smoother. But at low speeds it will typically be quieter, which many people associate with smoother. The hybrid also has active noise/sound control, which should keep it quieter inside.

The monthly cost difference on the two leases should be $50-60/mo. You'll make fewer stops at the gas station (save time) and even if you only save one fill up per month, you've covered the delta. If you end up going over your mileage allotment, the hybrid will ease the pain of paying mileage penalties.

Reactions: GtoQ and tt_45

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up until this car, I'd have given you the same advice as your friends. In this case though, the price delta is much smaller than in the past. But with the Q50, a comparably equipped Hybrid vs. gas is only about $3K more (only $2100, if fully loaded).

At those numbers, and with gas at $4/gal, payoff at only 10K miles/year will be just about the length of your lease (I figured about 3.5 years). But I figured that based on a 10mpg difference and that's if you're trying to recoup the full $3K. But you aren't recouping the full $3K. You're only paying a portion of that. Plus, if you do mostly city driving, the fuel savings are more pronounced.

My expectation is that this will be one of the first hybrids where it even makes economic sense on a lease. And if you end up keeping the car past the end of the lease, you'll come out way ahead.

As for smoother ride - the ride won't be any smoother. But at low speeds it will typically be quieter, which many people associate with smoother. The hybrid also has active noise/sound control, which should keep it quieter inside.

The monthly cost difference on the two leases should be $50-60/mo. You'll make fewer stops at the gas station (save time) and even if you only save one fill up per month, you've covered the delta. If you end up going over your mileage allotment, the hybrid will ease the pain of paying mileage penalties.
Thank you so much! That makes good sense! Good to know hybrid might b quieter. I like that! I guess I will stick w/ the fully loaded AWD premium Hybrid, then! :D

Another q, is it true that even the hybrid, the back seats are foldable? I understand hybrid's trunk is smaller...

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
No folding seats on the hybrid. There is a pass-through though. And apparently the trunk isn't that much smaller (less of a delta than there is on the M35h, from what I've heard). But if you leave out the spare tire, the trunk on the hybrid is roughly the same cubic footage as the current G (different shape).

I'd ask the salesperson to pencil out the lease both ways. If it is more of a monthly delta than what you'll save in gas each month, opt for the gas. Otherwise get the hybrid.

Also, keep in mind that the hybrid makes you way more attractive to the hippie chicks (or dudes) around Seattle, Bellingham, or Orcas Island.

Reactions: tt_45

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
One more thing to consider. If you thrash this around the track, the salesman I spoke to said the Hybrid is noticeably tail heavy due to the battery packs back there. Ironically it may end up being the drifter's choice thanks to this.

I do see it having bad weather advantages in RWD or AWD configurations. More weight over the drive wheels = more sure-footed traction in snow, rain or ice. Plus the highway mileage may make you lean towards taking road trips despite rising gas prices, so it could have a positive impact on your life. ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are awesome! Thank you all! I've learned quite a bit! I'm afraid this will be a heard choice for me since I now see benefit of both! Believe or not, I actually do care about the trunk space and was hoping to have a foldable backseat. :( But hybrid now seems to have more advantages than I thought! ...not to mention the hippie effect. lol! Sinecure, right on! Obviously you know WA! :D
SimpsonTide985: How do u like ur Malbec Black? I like it the most among all colors of Q50 (from website), but really wish I can see some "real life photos" of that. Will it be the exactly the same "Malbec black" as the current/previous models?
Afrosheen: Another excellent point! Would've never known/thought of that! Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bear in mind that the hybrid has not been designed as the eco-car but as the performance option. Of course it's a hybrid so fits the eco bill very well, but not so much as competitor hybrids. Let's look at this as a good thing!

Secondly the battery is placed at the back of the boot when looking into it (so directly behind the passenger seats). This means that the weight distribution has been tailored to be a perfect 50/50, very rare for road-cars. It also means that in the event of a rear-end collision the boot can crumple without the battery being damaged, so far safer than having the battery lay flat in the boot like most cars (notably Lexus).

Thirdly (sorry i'm just thinking of these as they come up!) as the hybrid is intended as the performance package i'd imagine that the ride won't be as comfortable simply due to all the sports stuff. Then again i'm comparing against a diesel because we won't have the petrol model over here, so there could be some difference between US/EU models.

Just things to consider and I hope it helps! Having said all that though, GO FOR THE HYBRID!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Originally I planned to reserve a hybrid for my new Q50 lease, since ~80% of my driving is local. I don't have long commute to work, and the lease probably will b 10K/yr. However some friends are totally AGAINST hybrid for lease, saying since i will only keep/lease the car for ~3 yrs, I won't get my money worth. The only advantage would be "feeling good that u r driving a 'green' car"!:D

What do you think?

(Btw, I'm not a "sporty" type driver, and actually prefer a smoother ride if possible. :p Does hybrid or not make any difference on the ride? )

Thanks in advance for your comments! I know I can get a lot better info/advices here than my local dealer! - Sometimes I wonder if they do their homework... :(
I've said it before I'll say it again ... HYBRID FTW!!! Plus if you lease like Sinecure said you wouldn't being paying for the full amount of the additional hybrid option over the term of the lease....

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Drive both and see if you notice any difference. The hybrid isn't meant to be an "eco" oriented car. It's a performance sedan with "eco" influences. It really depends on how big of a difference the lease payments will be on the 2 models built to your liking.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
To comment on a few of the questions;

1) The trunk is 14.1 cu.ft. in the hybrid, and 18 cu. ft. in the non-hybrid. Still, the volume is still 1/2 cu.ft. larger than the G, which also doesn't have the fold down seats.

2) The weight distribution is 55/45 in the AWD hybrid, compared to 53/47 in the non-AWD hybrid, which is logical because of the additional weight up front for the AWD. It's also 55/45 in the RWD non-hybrid. Since the ratio in the G is 53/47, the Q50 is more "front-heavy" that the G. The most "unbalanced" is the AWD non-hybrid, at 57/43 - again logical.

3) Driving short distances gives the hybrid the greater advantage, since the engine won't be on as much.

4) I know that I'm spending more for the hybrid, but it's my own little way of not supporting the speculators who are a large part of the price of oil. It's nice to be in a position of giving the finger to them.:D

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I expect Malbec black to look exactly like the current Malbec Black on Japanese-made Infinitis. Go check out a car or two at a dealership and see what you think. Be sure to go during daytime and preferably on a sunny day. Malbec looks like plain black when in the shade, at night, or on an especially cloudy day. You really only notice the purple flake in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also, something to keep in mind since you are leasing...the programs might be different on the Hybrid. For comparison, looks like the M37 and M35h have the same residual, but the hybrid has a slightly higher MF. So, there might be multiple factors that affect your bottom line difference...not just the difference in MSRP.

Not sure if the Q50 and Q50 hybrid programs will differ. Sinecure...do you guys have any insight on this yet?

I would bet after all factors considered, the hybrid will still cost you more. However, in my case I am looking at the hybrid for the tech/performance/drive(when they are available). Any fuel savings are just icing on the cake!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I expect Malbec black to look exactly like the current Malbec Black on Japanese-made Infinitis. Go check out a car or two at a dealership and see what you think. Be sure to go during daytime and preferably on a sunny day. Malbec looks like plain black when in the shade, at night, or on an especially cloudy day. You really only notice the purple flake in direct sunlight.
Good pointers, but I actually find it's best to see it in the evening as during the evening hours as the sun starts to go away it's light isn't that harsh so you end up getting a nice spread of natural lighting.

Reason why so many car photographers like to take photo's in the evening hours.

Have you seen how Malbec black looks after being on a car for years? Usually car colors tend to fade, some end up loosing their original tone. Red is famous for this.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is amazing! I just compared the two according to the "build your Q50", hybrid vs gas, both fully loaded, is really only $1900 difference in price! (AWD, premium, and all the tech/nav goodies... but no sport). :D

Now it makes the decision a lot easier... :)

but yes, I will go to the dealer to check out the color, will have sales person map out two lease plans, .... will try out both cars....

but I THINK I have my inner peace now.... if the ride don't surprise me too much. :p

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Quick look at numbers and from what I can tell, Money Factor and Residual are the same on both hybrid and gas. I think residual is 61% at 10K/year - don't quote me on that, I was looking over my manager's shoulder.

Someone mentioned something about Illuminated Kick Plates. Looks like all dealers are being required to add those on every single order for the first month or two. We may be able to delete those right before production if a customer is religiously opposed to them, but I wouldn't bet on that. Right now, all 13 that we have coming in the first month will have IKP's.

Reactions: tt_45

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Quick look at numbers and from what I can tell, Money Factor and Residual are the same on both hybrid and gas. I think residual is 61% at 10K/year - don't quote me on that, I was looking over my manager's shoulder.

Someone mentioned something about Illuminated Kick Plates. Looks like all dealers are being required to add those on every single order for the first month or two. We may be able to delete those right before production if a customer is religiously opposed to them, but I wouldn't bet on that. Right now, all 13 that we have coming in the first month will have IKP's.
Since IKP's are "port" options that are dealer installed, why can't they be deleted from production? Is this just free juice for all the dealerships with the initial allotment?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Since IKP's are "port" options that are dealer installed, why can't they be deleted from production? Is this just free juice for all the dealerships with the initial allotment?

Exactly! There's no other explanation for it.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Except there's nothing in it for the dealer. There is for Infiniti. And for some worker at the port. Everyone loves to hate dealers. And sometimes that's deserved. But in this case, things like mandatory IKP's (or splash guards or trunk liners, etc) are dictated by Infiniti and put on at the port (not the dealer).

Now if we were talking about stuff like "mandatory" paint protection, fabric protection, clear bra, door edge guards, window tint, pinstriping, nitrogen filled tires, etc.), then you can definitely whine about the dealership.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You're right that it's for Infiniti, and not for the dealers- I answered too quickly. And though it puts more money in the corporate coffers, it does leave a bad taste in the consumers' mouth. If only Infiniti would understand that.:( This will be my 6th Infiniti, because they are very good and reliable cars. But to attract new buyers to the brand, Infiniti should rethink their policies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.