Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guys at Left lane News got their hands on a Infiniti Q50 with Performance Package recently, and they also wrote us a nice first drive review. The biggest point made in the review is about the Direct Adaptive Steering system, or DAS. This system got a bad review when tested in the base Q50, but Infiniti put some work into it now.

The DAS was once a "numb-feeling steer-by-wire system." It works by measuring steering wheel inputs and then relaying that information to two electrical motors mounted on the front axle. The Performance Package's DAS gets a better review than the hydraulic steering system in the end.

Ultimately, Left Lane News says you can skip the performance package if you are just looking for a comfortable cruiser. Here is their "Bottom Line":

The new Performance Package doesn't transform the Q50 into an E30 BMW (the mid-80s BMW 3-Series coveted by enthusiasts), but it does make for a more compelling sports sedan. Though still not the perfect in terms of steering feel, the Infiniti Q50 with Performance Package gives hope that the next-generation of electronic steering systems will be able to live in harmony with driving enthusiasts.
Read the full article here --> First Drive: 2014 Infiniti Q50 Performance Package | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Ah so the tires in this package are confirmed non-RFTs? If so, awesome. I must have missed that.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of an expansion to other tire choices that don't suck. Well, no offense to any who enjoy the run-flats. I just haven't read any review that didn't consider them a detriment to ride and handling. Consumer Reports sticks out the most in my mind- they made verbal love to the G, and then hated on the Q mostly for what the run-flats did to it dynamically.:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.