Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I may have a defective lighting system on my Q. I always have my fog lamps activated with my headlights; I think it's added sportiness. I also looked forward to the automatic HID lamps in the tech pkg. However, I noticed when I push my light switch forward to turn the auto HIDs on, my fog lamps turn off. They come back on when I turn off the auto HIDs. Is this normal? I couldn't find an answer in the manual; doesn't make sense why that should be happening.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
395 Posts
Check your headlight stick. Sounds like you have your fog lights on. Look for the position of the second (inside) ring.

When your fog lights are on, they do go off when you set your headlights to automatic.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
When you push the light switch forward to turn the auto HIDs on do the highbeams come on? Usually when the highbeams come on fog lights turn off, so I wonder if the fog lights are off either because the highbeams come at the time you do it, or they are wired to shut off when the switch in put in that position.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Check your headlight stick. Sounds like you have your fog lights on. Look for the position of the second (inside) ring.

When your fog lights are on, they do go off when you set your headlights to automatic.
That sucks if they are off when the headlights are set to auto. I was hoping to leave mine in auto all the time, but always like to have foglights on.:mad:

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Registered
395 Posts
May be they will stay on if you are driving in the fog. :)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The car is doing what should be done by drivers. If it's foggy, you shouldn't drive with your brights on. So, when you put the brights on, the fog lights turn off automatically. When you go to auto, and the brights come on, the fog lights go off. If a car is coming towards you, and your brights go off, the fog lights will come back on. Actually, the G was set up the same way, but you probably didn't notice. When you put the brights on, the fog lights would go off.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sucks if they are off when the headlights are set to auto. I was hoping to leave mine in auto all the time, but always like to have foglights on.:mad:
Yea that's exactly what happens and it makes no sense that it can't be synced w/ the auto HID system. It renders the fog lamps completely useless if you prefer to drive w/ the auto HID on. :mad:

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
The car is doing what should be done by drivers. If it's foggy, you shouldn't drive with your brights on. So, when you put the brights on, the fog lights turn off automatically. When you go to auto, and the brights come on, the fog lights go off. If a car is coming towards you, and your brights go off, the fog lights will come back on. Actually, the G was set up the same way, but you probably didn't notice. When you put the brights on, the fog lights would go off.
So when the lights are set to auto and the lever is in the lowbeam position are the fog lights on?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. I'm not arguing against safety; I agree the fogs shouldn't be on w/ the high beams. My issue is the fog lights turn off permanently when you activate the auto HIDs--even when the high beams aren't triggered. That's the point that I'm making; my fog lights should be synced w/ the auto HID system if the high beams aren't triggered. Is this not a logical expectation?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
When you turn on the auto light(and move the switch to the brights position), you can still put on the fog light. But the fog lights will only come on IF the system puts on low beams. According to the manual, the low beams will automatically come on when there is another car coming OR your speed drops below 17 mph. At that point, the fog lights should come back on. To test this, have your car face another one. Turn your lights to "auto," move the switch to the brights position, and you should have brights on. Then turn on your fog lights. They will not come on. Then put the lights on in the other car - your brights should then cut off(and go to low beams), and your fog lights should then come on. I have not tested this myself, but that's my understanding of how they work.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Please ignore my "advice."

I just did a test, and Chicagokevo is right. The fog lights would not come on with the lights set to auto, even though the low beams were on because I was standing still. So no, if you want the fog lights on, you'll have to not leave the switch in the auto position. It would be nice if they were synced, but for me, it's not anything more than a minor "glitch" to the system.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just did a test, and Chicagokevo is right. The fog lights would not come on with the lights set to auto, even though the low beams were on because I was standing still. So no, if you want the fog lights on, you'll have to not leave the switch in the auto position. It would be nice if they were synced, but for me, it's not anything more than a minor "glitch" to the system.
Yea it's more annoying for me. But I can live with it; I do agree w/ labeling it a "glitch".

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Ok, here guys stop arguing and watch the little clip on Headlights and Exterior Lights: should answer the questions: The fog light go off when Hi beam is turned on.

Video

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok, here guys stop arguing and watch the little clip on Headlights and Exterior Lights: should answer the questions: The fog light go off when Hi beam is turned on.

Video
Nice video but the fog lights will not work at all if the automatic high beam switch is on. The automatic system can turn off the high beams all night long and the fog lights will never come on even though the steering wheel secondary stalk control is set for fog lights. That is a bug and Infiniti should either fix it or clearly inform the driver accordingly. Turning off the automatic high beam system is the only way to activate the fog lights.

Orrin

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice video but the fog lights will not work at all if the automatic high beam switch is on. The automatic system can turn off the high beams all night long and the fog lights will never come on even though the steering wheel secondary stalk control is set for fog lights. That is a bug and Infiniti should either fix it or clearly inform the driver accordingly. Turning off the automatic high beam system is the only way to activate the fog lights.

Orrin
Precisely my point. Maybe that becomes clearer when another person states it.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Hibeam and fog lights can not and should not be on at the same time because they have different lighting purpose.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hibeam and fog lights can not and should not be on at the same time because they have different lighting purpose.
...and I haven't made or seen ONE comment here to the contrary. I've stated repeatedly that I agree. The fact of the matter is there is a glitch in the auto HID system. That's the only point I was making. There's nothing up for debate.

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
You can jump the wires in the fuse box so your fog lights can stay on when your bright are on, and have the fog lights on without the headlights. I did it to my Titan, but haven't had time to try it out on my Q50 yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can jump the wires in the fuse box so your fog lights can stay on when your bright are on, and have the fog lights on without the headlights. I did it to my Titan, but haven't had time to try it out on my Q50 yet.
Good to know Aggie! When you do that to your Q50, would you please do us all a big favor and photo document that process and post it here with instructions? It would be a big help to those of us who would like to do that as well! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.