Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a bit of a lighting geek. Always messed around with lighting in every car I've owned.

From uber bright reverse lights to switching every bulb to LED to upgrading xenon bulbs to interesting retrofits.

I plan to try to do a fog light projector retrofit as well as a xenon bulb upgrade and clear lens swap (assuming not all models have LED headlights)

Hmm.. I wonder if I can upgrade the LED emitters on the headlights..

just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Im going to start with the interior and slowly move to the exterior as I always find interior lighting on cars to be lacking, FULL LED lighting for the interior on my Q50 as well as exterior. Such a big difference from standard lighting to halogen

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Good idea! Show it here when u come up with something man! As for me, I will be doing some interior lighting change as well! I like white lights so if something is emmiting something yellowish, i will try and replace that! Was also thinking about the fog lights! Hopefully we can replace that cuz I want 3000K fog lights! :D

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can see in the vids, the rear turn signal indicators does not appear to be LED.
Ridiculous. The entire taillight section is such a night & day difference from the aggressive front end. Don't know what Infiniti was thinking there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
What did I miss here? Everything front to back except for the rear blinkers is LED? Why have the blinkers using standard bulbs? That's really strange.

There are turn signals in the side mirrors and above the fog lights that are LED strips...

>>Edit: yep, I looked more closely. The rear backup lights are still incandescent bulbs and so are the turn signals, both of them dead center in circles. It seems like maybe there's some law in place that's keeping these alive. I can't explain why everything else can be LED minus these 2 critical lights. IIHS rules? Something about how the light is transmitted more evenly from an incandescent than an LED array so it can be seen clearly at all angles? Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
What did I miss here? Everything front to back except for the rear blinkers is LED? Why have the blinkers using standard bulbs? That's really strange.

There are turn signals in the side mirrors and above the fog lights that are LED strips...

>>Edit: yep, I looked more closely. The rear backup lights are still incandescent bulbs and so are the turn signals, both of them dead center in circles. It seems like maybe there's some law in place that's keeping these alive. I can't explain why everything else can be LED minus these 2 critical lights. IIHS rules? Something about how the light is transmitted more evenly from an incandescent than an LED array so it can be seen clearly at all angles? Hmmm...
No, it's definitely not a regulatory restriction. There are several models of vehicles on American roads today that have LED tails (i.e. Audi A6, Cadillac ATS, and the list goes on). No excuse for Infiniti to completely fall asleep on the rear design.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
It makes sense though. On the back you want the lights to spread out evenly so they can be seen equally from different angles. Reverse lights and rear turn signals both benefit from old style bulbs. LED and Xenon are great for focused lighting but don't diffuse well. Maybe it was a design decision for these reasons rather than Infiniti saving five bucks per car.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My Jag has LED brake/turn/reverse lights.

Theres no reason infiniti cant make LED turn signals....unless they're trying to cut costs from something
Cadillac XTS has some BRIGHT reverse LED’s …

Infiniti is extremely weird in their lighting. First gen FX has LED turn signals….second gen FX does not.

There must be some sort of added cost in modifying circuitry to blink LED’s… who knows, I just know theyre backasswards.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cadillac XTS has some BRIGHT reverse LED’s …

Infiniti is extremely weird in their lighting. First gen FX has LED turn signals….second gen FX does not.

There must be some sort of added cost in modifying circuitry to blink LED’s… who knows, I just know theyre backasswards.
Not really. It's just a different resistor in the flasher relay. I've done the modification before to the stock flasher to accept LEDs.

Costed 20 cents and some solder.

·
Premium Member
2020 Majestic White Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD, 2018 MB AMG E63 Sport Edition One Tuned
229 Posts
I upgraded all my non LED bulbs on my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
to all LED and boy what a difference !

I would like to do the same thing to my 2016 Q50 SS TT, it really bothers
me that the turn signal and the rear back-up lights are not LED !

I especially think the rear back-up lights are extremely weak/dim on
light output at night...just horrible for a $60 vehicle !

Does anybody know what the bulb numbers are for the turn signal
bulbs and the rear back-up bulbs ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I changed my interior lights, vanity and license plate lights with LED's and it was night and day difference. the cheap looking yellow lights make the interior less appealing imo.

Added the door projectors too for a little something different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been growing some curiosity to the front bumper fog/hazard/turn signal lights. I was thinking the little strip for the turn signals could have an LED set up to where it was LED until signal/hazards were used then instantly back to LED upon signal release. I'm sure this is already being done everyday but still

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.