Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get an idea of what's popular and what people are liking. Alot of new owners have reported claying and waxing their cars. What did you use? Brand/type etc. please be as specific as possible. Feel free to criticize the product as well to give others an idea if they'd like to repeat your success or avoid your failure as the case may be. :)

I'll start:

Meguiar's clay bar kit with quick detailer spray and microfiber cloth
Meguiar's GOLD CLASS™ CARNAUBA PLUS LIQUID WAX
Turtle Wax Ice Shine polish/wax

Obviously, I love Meguiar's stuff, easy to deal with and fairly priced. I got the Turtle Wax Ice Shine as an "icing on the cake" step that really adds a glass-like reflectivity to any surface (and is safe for plastics and rubber). Works on crusty old headlights for a little while. Biggest downside is that it doesn't last long, but if you like to wax frequently, it's safe to use with every wash.

Next!:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
So far i've used the Meguiars Clay Bar kit after washing and topped it off with some Master Formula Sealant!

·
Registered
59 Posts
http://zainostore.com
clay
AIO (prepares the paint further)
Z5 Polish - removes light swirls/scratches
Z2 Polish - for clear coats
Z-8 between coats/after a wash

sounds like a lot but as you layer, the paint gets deeper and wetter looking. even my 98 mustang got the treatment a couple of times, and after a wash its still smooth.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Meguiars clay bar with Quck detailer. As long as the surface is clean and you keep it wet this works very well, pulls up dirt you cant even see.

As far as compound, polish and wax goes. Here are a few products I have become very loyal to over my years as a professional detailer:

- Farecla G4 for cutting and G10 for final prep (G10 is a must have!)
- Worlds Best Wax (palm wax with Brazilian carnuba & Montan oils)
* All of the Worlds Best products are exceptional!
:: World's Best Wax ::

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
To the detailing pros there, what products do u recommend for interior care? Any protectants? Cleaners? Conditioners?

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got the Lexol cleaner and conditioner for leather. Tested it on my couch first, seems good and color safe.

For the dash and other bits I like Meguiars interior wipes. They don't leave greasy residue or damaging coating. Never, ever use armor all on plastic or vinyl. UV exposure will cause it to degrade and crack over time.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Yea thats what ive been using with my G35 but I guess I havent used it enough to see much results before I traded her in! So do u just use those and sort of protectant? Also would u recommend that for brand new interior? Didnt really like the smell and kinda forgot if it lingered!

·
Registered
59 Posts
good question gbert... specifically on the wood trim... seems like theres some fine scratches on mine... anything out there to polish it up to remove them?

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea thats what ive been using with my G35 but I guess I havent used it enough to see much results before I traded her in! So do u just use those and sort of protectant? Also would u recommend that for brand new interior? Didnt really like the smell and kinda forgot if it lingered!
The smell goes away. It has some kind of chemical that helps it dry, diluted alcohol or something similar. I like the fact that it doesn't leave any crud behind and doesn't shine the dash. Nothing I hate more than a shiny dash reflecting straight onto the windshield.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
This is the routine I used on my car the first weekend I had it.

Body:
Washed with Dawn dish washing liquid
Meguiar's clay bar with a lubricant of Optimum car wash mixed with water
Chemical Guys V38 Optical Final Polish
Isopropyl alcohol solution wipe down
Wolf's Hard Body

Wheels & Tires:
Wolf's Deironizer
Meguiars Brake Dust Barrier
Meguiars Tire Gel

My weekly maintenance is simple. Just wash with Wolf's Nano Bathe and wipe down with Wolf's Nano Quick Detailer. The brake dust barrier and tire gel make keeping the wheels and tires looking good easy. I just spray off the wheels and hit the tires with a little gel as needed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am 100% new to car detailing but after a bunch of research I just got some stuff from Zaino:

Z-AIO All-in-one
Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Zaino White Border Free Towels - 4 Pack
Zaino Custom Polish Applicator

I also bought the Meguiar's clay bar kit, interior wipes, gold-class car wash, and the Absorber.

Looking forward to a marathon car care session this weekend :D

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I'm going to call my dealer/service dept later today but my dealer already installed what's on this list of installed options as a $89.00 Zak Protective Coating.

Now, I'm unfamiliar with how or if this can be combined or applied with other products. I'm thinking I'll just leave the coating on and wipe the car down with a nice polish.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I'm going to call my dealer/service dept later today but my dealer already installed what's on this list of installed options as a $89.00 Zak Protective Coating.

Now, I'm unfamiliar with how or if this can be combined or applied with other products. I'm thinking I'll just leave the coating on and wipe the car down with a nice polish.

Thoughts?
First, find out exactly what the product is. I've never heard of the product, but my guess is that it is some kind of polish. If so, there's no need for another polish on top of it, just a good wax. After a while, you can then put on a good paint sealant and wax.

Looked it up just now. The stuff is only sold to dealerships. Their site says that there is a reapplication schedule, and that can only be done by the dealer. One of the comments on another site was that the additional applications were much more expensive(in other words, they've got you). As I said, I'd give it a while, and then get a good paint sealant.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Wash (every weekend)
Tools
- Electric Pressure Washer
- Electric Blower
- Wall Mounted Shop Vac for interior and trunk
- Griots Microfiber Wash Mitt
- Cobra Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Towel
- Wheel Cleaning brush
- Lug Nut brush
- Microfiber towels

Products
- Griots Car Wash
- Griots Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner
- Griots Spray Wax
- Eagle One Gel Tire Dressing and applicator
- Rain X Window Cleaner

Wax (every other month)
Tools
- Mothers Clay with Mothers Detailing Spray
- Microfiber towels
- Griots 3" Random Orbital with Red Pad
- Griots 6" Random Orbital with Red Pad

Products
- Griots Best of Show Wax
- Griots Speed Shine

Polish (every six months)
Tools
- Mothers Clay with Mothers Detailing Spray
- Microfiber towels
- Griots 3" Random Orbital with Orange Pad
- Griots 6" Random Orbital With Orange Pad

Products
- Griots Machine Polish #4 or #3 depending on need
- Griots Speed Shine

·
Premium Member
526 Posts

Thoughts?
The stuff they charged you for is just some substandard semi-permanent coating. It is not worth dealing with.

If you are looking for some basic protection, I'd just go with Meguiars NXT wax. It goes on easy and is a breeze to take off. NXT provides a good shine for a decent price. Now you can invest a lot more money to get additional shine and protection. It just depends on how far you want to go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I went out and bought the Mequiar's clay bar kit and their ultimate liquid wax.

I liked the clay bar, but it is rather time consuming. Not sure how much it is needed on a new car? I clay bar'd my front windshield using windex instead of the Meguiar's liguid. Impressed by how clear the window looks.

After clay baring the paint the wash water marks were removed, but in two sections I did not clay bay and simply used the liquid wax...the difference seems negligible for the extra effort involved (again its a new car with not lots of dirt build up).

Anyways thanks for the tips

I found the Q50S 19" sport wheels VERY hard to clean too many crevices that my old brushes don't fit in. I think this will be an issue at 20K miles any advice on a good tool for these

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.